Hey all, I'm in the market for a new amp and I would like some help. I currently have my eyes on an Orange Tiny Terror that someone is selling for $420 in my area. After watching videos on youtube and reading reviews, I am convinced. However, I would like to know if there are any better amps in my price range? I was also thinking about a Marshall MG100HDFX just because I want a half stack. I have $400 to spend for now, but can fork out a few more bucks by borrowing or having my friends pay me back asap.

If I were to get the Tiny Terror, I might be able to get an Orange 2x12 cab a few weeks later, which is no big deal to me.

Most of the time I play at home, but I will be looking into a band and playing shows later throughout the year. My current guitar is an Epiphone Les Paul Custom with EMG 81/85. I'll be switching the pups to Gibson Dirty Fingers after I get the cab. I play pop rock/indie genre.

Let me know, and thank you!
Last edited by aznjason at Jun 2, 2010,
Hmmmm.... I wouldn't go with Marshall... but with the Orange Tiny Terror isn't really worth that much...

For a low price range, a good amp is the Peavey Vypyr Tube 60 watts. If you're not into the modelling stuff you should consider a small Fender amp, they are really great if you run some pedals through them.
Quote by Guitar Sushi
Hmmmm.... I wouldn't go with Marshall... but with the Orange Tiny Terror isn't really worth that much...

For a low price range, a good amp is the Peavey Vypyr Tube 60 watts. If you're not into the modelling stuff you should consider a small Fender amp, they are really great if you run some pedals through them.

Why not just buy an amp that can do what you want without you having to run tons of shitty digital pedals through it?
I think you should mention what music you play also, but I'm guessing rock stuff and a little metal. In that case I think the Tiny Terror would suit your needs just fine, and it sounds great too (without any pedals even (except maybe an overdrive)). oh yeah, DONT BUY THE MG. I don't think you'll be able to hear that big of a difference between a 2x12 cab and a 4x12 cab. Besides, I'm pretty sure the orange cab is going to sound miles better than the MG cab anyways...
Last edited by Pingis_Or_Death at Jun 2, 2010,
Thanks for the replies guys. The Tiny Terror definitely have my vote, but any other comments are welcome as well. Just one question, can I plug my guitar and play with the Tiny Terror without a speaker cabinet? It'll be a shame to see it sitting in my room for a few weeks since I won't be getting a cab just yet.
Quote by aznjason
Thanks for the replies guys. The Tiny Terror definitely have my vote, but any other comments are welcome as well. Just one question, can I plug my guitar and play with the Tiny Terror without a speaker cabinet? It'll be a shame to see it sitting in my room for a few weeks since I won't be getting a cab just yet.

Nope, you'll need a cab
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Homemade Strat (seymour duncan classic stack p/ups)
Vox Tonelab (original desktop model) with full board footswitch
Vox AD50
no, you need a cab to play or you will blow the amp up.
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.
I hope you like your tone dry because the TT has no FX loop. The Egnater Tweaker is cheaper and IMO a better choice.
Quote by aznjason
Hey all, I'm in the market for a new amp and I would like some help. I currently have my eyes on an Orange Tiny Terror that someone is selling for $420 in my area. After watching videos on youtube and reading reviews, I am convinced. However, I would like to know if there are any better amps in my price range? I was also thinking about a Marshall MG100HDFX just because I want a half stack. I have $400 to spend for now, but can fork out a few more bucks by borrowing or having my friends pay me back asap.

If I were to get the Tiny Terror, I might be able to get an Orange 2x12 cab a few weeks later, which is no big deal to me.

Most of the time I play at home, but I will be looking into a band and playing shows later throughout the year. My current guitar is an Epiphone Les Paul Custom with EMG 81/85. I'll be switching the pups to Gibson Dirty Fingers after I get the cab. I play pop rock/indie genre.

Let me know, and thank you!

I just bought a vypyr 120 head and absolutely love it. I played a lot of different amps and for the price there was NOTHING even close to this thing. Try it out!
MY GEAR

Jackson Soloist w/ EMG-81 @ bridge and EMG PSA @ neck
Takamine EF341SC
Fender Squire bass

Peavey Vypyr 120 Head
Mesa Boogie slant 4x12

Dunlop 535q wah
Boss Metal Zone (for DI recording)
Shure SM57
Tascam US-122
Reaper
Cubase
I will bump this thread rather than make a new one... I have the Marshall MG 100HDFX and I have been very disappointed in it ... when you play other half stacks then come home and play the MG it's just stupid how crap it sounds.

So my question is ... I am starting to gig a lot this summer and am worries that if I switch to a tube combo or something that I won't be loud enough. Is a 100-plus watt amp/head crucial for playing live???
no you don't need more then 30 if you're mic'd unless you're playing brootz but even then 50 is alright unless you're playing a venue by yourself with only your amp.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer