Hey guys, I might go hunting for a second guitar in the near future as I might be starting doing gigs soon, so it's nice to have two guitars in case something goes wrong. I would like some advice of what to get. Now, to help you out, I'll give you an idea of what I want. My budget is around 500 euros by the way, preferably lower, but I'm willing to save up a bit if necessary. I don't have the money yet, but I'd like to be able to take my time to at least try some guitars.

The music I like to play: Old-school heavy metal and hard rock like Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, and Iron Maiden. That means mostly the early days of those bands. I might make some occasional trips to thrash, alt. rock and punk.

The way I'd like my guitar to sound: I'm looking for a solid hard rock/heavy metal sound, like I said. I say solid, because, if there's anything I hate, it's a thin guitar sound. I would like a guitar that provides me with a sound that has a lot of meat to it. A full sound, you know what I mean.

My current amp is a VOX VT30, a modelling amp with one tube in it. It serves my needs pretty well, as it can get those nice hard rock/'classic metal' sounds.
My guitar is a cheap Les Paul copy, which I find quite comfortable to play. It's however made of a different wood and much lighter than a real Les Paul, and has a snarly, bright sound. It's not that bad considering I only paid 100 euros for it, and it's all I have at this moment, but it does it's job.

I don't like Ibanez guitars, so I'd prefer you'd not recommend them, as I tried out a few of them, and I really dislike the necks. Way too flat at the back for me. The necks on the ESP LTD Vipers and Eclipses I tried, however, I really like. And the neck on my current guitar is also quite nice, though I believe it's a bit thinner than on real Les Pauls, I'm not sure.

As for the specs of the guitar, I'd like it to have at least a bridge humbucker and at least 22 frets. I don't really mind if the guitar has a trem or not, but I'd probably won't use it (effectively) anyway, so preferably not. I also heard that restringing guitars with trems is hard, and I like to keep things simple.

Well, I believe that's all. If you still got any questions, feel free to ask. Thanks in advance for your advice, anyway.
My Gear:
Gibson SG Classic
Les Paul knockoff >.>
Vox VT30 with footswitch
EHX Big Muff w/ Tone Wicker
Last edited by Randio at Jun 2, 2010,
The Schecter and the PRS seem promising I don't know about the Jackson.
About the Telecaster, is it already routed for 'buckers or do I need to cut into it to make room for them, because I'm not sure if I'm willing to take that risk. Unless there are single-coil sized humbuckers that would be able to get the tone I want.

And I don't know much about EMG's. I've read somewhere around here that you shouldn't get them unless you really know how they work. Anyone have advice?
My Gear:
Gibson SG Classic
Les Paul knockoff >.>
Vox VT30 with footswitch
Also, the only stores that I can go to are a few local shops. I live in the Netherlands. I might be able to go to Music Store in Germany, but that'll take time, cause my parents are quite busy as of lately.
My Gear:
Gibson SG Classic
Les Paul knockoff >.>
Vox VT30 with footswitch