I play an Ibanez S470 (Stock Pickups) though a Bugera 6262.

The pickups aren't great so I'm going to swap them, they sound a bit thin and fuzzy. I want a tone like Kill Switch engage, the first pickups I thought of were EMG 81 and EMG 85. Would you agree to get a tighter tone?

Also I want to buy an overdrive/boost pedal, will a TS9 do the job?

And a delay pedal for simple delays, BOSS DD3?

Thanks
I do beleieve actually that KsE use EMG 85 in both the bridge and neck, as he likes the fattier tone it gave him. I am not exactly sure I heard him say it, but I am 90% sure.
The 81/85 set isn't as good as other EMG combos, but with the 18V mod it can really shine.

TS9 will do a fine job, but will color your tone slightly, not the most transparent OD out there, but if that is not an issue, it is great.

Don't have any experience with the Boss Delays though, sorry.
id say go for a 60 but i think he does use 85's on both.

TS9 no idea

DD3 is a lovely pedal to use and so much fun. id get one if i could
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
i like my emgs on the clean

blackout are meant to be better than EMGs but i dont think so
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
Quote by guitar12
I heard EMGs have pretty bad clean sounds?

Also I've been listening to clips of blackouts and they seem pretty good what do you think of these?

http://www.thomann.de/gb/seymour_duncan_sahb1s.htm

EMG 60 in the neck gives great cleans. I'm not sure how it compares to a 81 or 85 in the neck, but it definitely sounds good. James hetfield likes it
Gear

Mesa/Boogie Mark V Head
Mills Acoustics Mach 212B
Peavey Vypyr 15w
ESP LTD EC-1000 guitar (BKP Nailbombs)
Fender American Standard Strat
PRS Custom 24
Dunlop KH Signature Wah
Menatone Red Snapper
Boss DD-7 Delay
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Quote by ChucklesMginty
If you can, get a Keeley TS-9. Stock tubescreamers take away a lot of your bass, so if that'll be a problem for you I wouldn't recommend it.

The bass cut is exactly what makes a TS so great as a metal boost.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Yes, but having a lot of bass pre distortion will give you a lot of muddiness. Cutting out some of the bass and boosting the mids, which is what tube screamers are good at, before the the amp distorts keeps you from getting a muddy sound. Afterward you just add bass and cut mids as necessary to get the tone you like.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
^+1. Also alot of the bassy guitars yuou hear is actually just the bass guitar filling in the bass because if the bass is too high on the guitar then it drowns out the bassist.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Quote by JoePerry4life
^+1. Also alot of the bassy guitars yuou hear is actually just the bass guitar filling in the bass because if the bass is too high on the guitar then it drowns out the bassist.

exactly. look at lamb of god :] theres a good example in the song In Your Words off of Wrath around 2:30 in where just the guitars play, and trust me it is full of mids untill the band joins back in.
If you don't talk to your kids about GAS, who will?
MxR Fullbore Metal distortion pedal. 100 bucks at guitar center, true bypass, analog effect, has a scoop button built into the pedal, and a build in noise gate to boot. bought it a few weeks ago, and my gosh does that thing crank like nobodys business. and as far as delay goes, if ur looking for a simple delay that wont break your bank or comprimise your tone, go for the Deltalab digital delay. its true bypass, and its like 50 bucks, simple to use, great sounding pedal. and if ur looking for a killswitch type sound, try out guitars with different pickup combos. the schecter hellraiser has a EMG 81-89 combo, the ESP Truckster has a EMG 81-60 combo i believe, and the zakk wylde signature les paul has a EMG 81-85 combo. try those out and see which is to ur liking, i prefer the 81-60, cuz it adds a lot more bass to ur chugs, but as far as for more melodic stuff, i would reccomend the 81-89's
Quote by ChucklesMginty
Metal guitar 90% of the time uses tons of bass...

That's why guitarists drop tune, it gives a lower, thumpier sound...That why some guitarists scoop their mids, because it stops the bass getting muddy. The only metal tones that don't rely on bass (of the top of my head) are Swedish death metal tones that use tons of high-end to get a chainsaw type sound.

But that bass is coming post distortion from the amp's tone controls. The bass cut in front of the amp keeps it from the amp from flubbing out and losing definition. Which is why you see a TS on 99% of metal players boards or in their racks. So before you facepalm me, get a clue about how it's used.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by MrBenjangles18
MxR Fullbore Metal distortion pedal.

he's trying to IMPROVE his tone...

i second, third or whatever we're up to on the ts-9. i dig what it does to my heavy amps.
mojostompboxes.com
Quote by MrBenjangles18
MxR Fullbore Metal distortion pedal. 100 bucks at guitar center, true bypass, analog effect, has a scoop button built into the pedal, and a build in noise gate to boot. bought it a few weeks ago, and my gosh does that thing crank like nobodys business. and as far as delay goes, if ur looking for a simple delay that wont break your bank or comprimise your tone, go for the Deltalab digital delay. its true bypass, and its like 50 bucks, simple to use, great sounding pedal. and if ur looking for a killswitch type sound, try out guitars with different pickup combos. the schecter hellraiser has a EMG 81-89 combo, the ESP Truckster has a EMG 81-60 combo i believe, and the zakk wylde signature les paul has a EMG 81-85 combo. try those out and see which is to ur liking, i prefer the 81-60, cuz it adds a lot more bass to ur chugs, but as far as for more melodic stuff, i would reccomend the 81-89's

You like the Fullbore?

I bought that thing and thought it was complete garbage. The noise gate is useless, as it cuts too much too fast. The gain sound is just not natural. I had mine for a week and returned it for a TS9.

TS - PU's are all personal pref, the EMG's are fine, so are the Blackout, so are the (insert PU manufacturer here) They all make a quality PU. So pick what you like.

The TS9 is pro the most used pedal in the history of metal. My sound would not be what it is today with out that pedal.

If I were you I would get the TS9 and the 10 band EQ from MXR. Those with your 6262 head will sound awesome, better so than adding PU's and a pedal. The EQ will let you tighten things up and really tweak the sound you are wanting.

I play through a V22 with a 4x12 cab with my TS9 and MXR EQ and it gets quite heavy. Especially considering its a "Vintage" voiced amp.
Gear
Jackson RR24M - EMG ALX w/ ABQ installed
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Ibanex RG - Tone Zone(bridge), PAF Pro(neck)
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
Quote by guitar12
I heard EMGs have pretty bad clean sounds?

No, a common complaint on here is that they are "sterile" you know, lack character. they can do cleans just fine though
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Quote by JAHellraiser
No, a common complaint on here is that they are "sterile" you know, lack character. they can do cleans just fine though

Uber-sterile even. Unless you want zero pick attack response coming out of those speakers (and some do, nothing wrong with wanted to shred and have it all sound very very even) don't get active pickups. Also, an EQ in the loop will do wonders for any setup. As far as the ts9, thats opinion.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by ChucklesMginty
Metal guitar 90% of the time uses tons of bass...

That's why guitarists drop tune, it gives a lower, thumpier sound...That why some guitarists scoop their mids, because it stops the bass getting muddy. The only metal tones that don't rely on bass (of the top of my head) are Swedish death metal tones that use tons of high-end to get a chainsaw type sound.

i think many 'metal' guitarists and other casual players like to hear fuller, bass-heavey sound while sitting in their rooms playing (i know i do), but like others have said before and after this comment, most metal bands who record music (we're not talking your neighbor's garage band) definitely 'cut through the mix' using lots of mid-range

why have a presence control? - a rebuttal could be peavey's 5150/6505 'resonance knob' that accentuates the bass freq's - but i GUARANTEE bands who record with this amp do NOT crank the resonance/bass by any means

on a lot of amps you can get NASTY metal tones that sound crushing with most tonal controls around 12 o'clock or so give or take 2 hours(please don't 'scoop' the mids, it sounds HORRIBLE mic'd and recorded)
Ok so i'm going to look in a few shops tomorrow morning, i'm going to leave the pickups for now.

I think I will buy an MXR 10 band eq, and a TS9.

I'm taking £250 in with me so i'm not sure if I can afford a delay pedal as well as all the couples and small extras i'm buying.

Any slightly cheaper alternatives to the DD3?
sorry i forgot to actually answer the posted question there…

to answer only what i know from experience… i have two guitars with emg's (they both are the 81/60 combination)

the 60 sounds GREAT in the neck with excellent clarity for clean passages and warmer sounding solos, the emg 81 cuts through well, but i feel can sound a bit harsh at times (i like that aspect however)

about the OD pedal… i'm in the market for an OD pedal too and i'm torn between an ibanez 808 reissue and the maxon ts808 (they both use identical chips) - i'm told that the maxon is 'better' because it has TRUE BYPASS, so i'd check that one out first
Quote by srob7001
You like the Fullbore?

I bought that thing and thought it was complete garbage. The noise gate is useless, as it cuts too much too fast. The gain sound is just not natural. I had mine for a week and returned it for a TS9.

TS - PU's are all personal pref, the EMG's are fine, so are the Blackout, so are the (insert PU manufacturer here) They all make a quality PU. So pick what you like.

The TS9 is pro the most used pedal in the history of metal. My sound would not be what it is today with out that pedal.

If I were you I would get the TS9 and the 10 band EQ from MXR. Those with your 6262 head will sound awesome, better so than adding PU's and a pedal. The EQ will let you tighten things up and really tweak the sound you are wanting.

I play through a V22 with a 4x12 cab with my TS9 and MXR EQ and it gets quite heavy. Especially considering its a "Vintage" voiced amp.

it has a noisegate built in...never said i used it...lol. i have the ISP Decimator and i use that instead of the gate in the pedal...what type of amp were u running the Fullbore through? just curious cuz im running it through a Peavey Calssic 50 and it sounds absolutely gorgeous to me
Quote by Carrot
i like my emgs on the clean

blackout are meant to be better than EMGs but i dont think so

Any mention of blackouts and EMG's in the same post = instant flame war.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
Quote by infectedmusicac
about the OD pedal… i'm in the market for an OD pedal too and i'm torn between an ibanez 808 reissue and the maxon ts808 (they both use identical chips) - i'm told that the maxon is 'better' because it has TRUE BYPASS, so i'd check that one out first

The Maxon OD808 is better because it's the original, and still uses the same design and chips AFAIK.

Maxon had the OD808 first. It got popular, Ibby wanted in, they released the Tubescreamer, had it produced and manufactured by Maxon, which is why the original Ibbys and the Maxons look exactly the same.

IMO the Maxon kicks the shit out of the TS, and I see it on most metal boards.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
If you're going for KSE tone then get a maxon od808, that is the overdrive pedal they use. I can't recall what pickup they use in the neck, but from personal experience the emg 60 is way better in the neck than the 85. Obviously the 81 in the bridge.
Guitars
Amps
fi your going with EMG's i strong suggest a 85/60 combo. 85 in the bridge IMO is far superior to an 81
Did they really load their Caparison's with EMGs? Damn. I could've sworn I saw pole pieces.

It couldn't be a 60 in the neck, because the Caparison Adam D uses/used is H/S/S. I dunno bout his Parker.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Ok i looked it up and the killswitch guitars are loaded with 81 in the bridge, and SA's in the middle and neck. I'm not that familiar with the SA.
Guitars
Amps
Quote by MrBenjangles18
it has a noisegate built in...never said i used it...lol. i have the ISP Decimator and i use that instead of the gate in the pedal...what type of amp were u running the Fullbore through? just curious cuz im running it through a Peavey Calssic 50 and it sounds absolutely gorgeous to me

I tried it with my Bugera V22.....it was not a pretty sound.

It does have EL84's so maybe that has something to do with it. Not sure what tubes are in the Classic 50

The ISP is prob the best noise gate pedal available right now.
Gear
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
Quote by Matt15f
If you're going for KSE tone then get a maxon od808, that is the overdrive pedal they use. I can't recall what pickup they use in the neck, but from personal experience the emg 60 is way better in the neck than the 85. Obviously the 81 in the bridge.

At the gain levels we're talking about it's not going to make the slightest of difference. And the OD808 RI is actually a TS7 circuit. And the TS7 is $40 here in the States.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

TS - just noticed you have a 6-band eq. With that you might not even need the 10 band.

I would see what you can do with the 6 band and TS9 first before I bought the 10 band eq.

Might be able to use the money for that delay pedal you were wanting instead.
Gear
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ