Hello,

I hope this has not been extensively discussed before. I did my search and found nothing.

I am about to build a pedalboard for my fancy stompboxes. I am also about to build a power source for the pedals because I hate all those wall warts. I own pedals of various voltages ranging from 9V to 24V, both AC and DC, so the power source will have to be somewhat big and complex, especially because I want isolated outputs for every single pedal.

Now, some of the commercially marketed pedal boards have integrated power sources, some players just put a power source box somewhere on their "plain" pedalboard.

Now is this a good idea? We all fight noise like crazy and then we put like 5 or 10 transformers amidst our pedals and cables?
Wouldn't it be better to build a separate power source, place it away from the pedalboard and feed the board remotely via a set of cables?

It would surely be less handy and practical. Would it make a change? Should I bother or should I just load the transformers into the pedal board?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Dan
Why do you want a separate power source for each pedal? That seems expensive and just unnecessary.
Fender 72' Deluxe Tele
Schecter Damian Elite 7
Fender '62 Reissue Jazz Bass (MIJ)
Peavey XXX 212 (back on the East Coast)

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
LeCab2
RedWirez Impulses
Two reasons.

1) To avoid ground loops on simple daisy chains.
2) To accomodate needs of several pedals with different voltage and AC/DC requirements.

Even if I daisychained everything I could (that is basically the standard 9V pedals), I would still need several other options so I do not believe I can get anywhere lower than 4 transformers even with a daisy chain.
Last edited by Pick53766 at Jun 2, 2010,
I moved my powerbar off of my pedalboard, not too much difference. It was subtle.
But, 2 of my pedals are unnaturally loud(Even with a gate!).
I haven't tried one of my pedals beside a power wire.
My power supple is a GFS 5 plug Daisy Chain, or whatever it is called. I think it needs better insulation on the wires.
Put one of the wires beside a signal cable, BAM! In your face noise.
I don't even think this answers your question though...
..I was watching my death.
Quote by timbit2006
I moved my powerbar off of my pedalboard, not too much difference. It was subtle.
But, 2 of my pedals are unnaturally loud(Even with a gate!).
I haven't tried one of my pedals beside a power wire.
My power supple is a GFS 5 plug Daisy Chain, or whatever it is called. I think it needs better insulation on the wires.
Put one of the wires beside a signal cable, BAM! In your face noise.

I don't even think this answers your question though...

no...

i'll spare you the explanation (unless you just REALLY want to learn this lol) suffice it to say that this is induction at work. the more current you pull through that wire the worse the noise will be.

anyway, keep the transformers far wnough away that they dont induce a current in nearby pedal stuffs and you're good. wont be much of a problem anyway. it also helpd to put the PSU in a grounded metal case. the case then is a shield.