Hi, I'm going to buy a new microphone strictly to Mic Acoustic guitar, I've read that the SM81 is the best for this application http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Shure-SM81-Condenser-Mic?sku=270171

can anyone give me feedback or an alternative?
Quote by leavesandman
i hope your children get aids

Quote by richwatkinson
Give 10 UGers a rope and ask them to pull. 4 will push, 1 will ask for buttsecks, 2 will tell you get an Ibanez and the last 3 will start complaining about Line6 Spiders.

Member Number 11 of Metallica Mensa
In that price range I think that ones a pretty safe bet. My friend has one and it seems to be really responsive to low and high frequencies, should be perfect for micing an acoustic.
#ENTITLED
WENGER OUT!!!

lastfm
For that price, you could pick up a used pair of Rode NT-5s or Oktava MKO12s and have a better sound for cheaper
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
For that price, you could pick up a used pair of Rode NT-5s or Oktava MKO12s and have a better sound for cheaper

well Ideally that would be great. low cost and best sound, lol.
Quote by leavesandman

Quote by richwatkinson
Give 10 UGers a rope and ask them to pull. 4 will push, 1 will ask for buttsecks, 2 will tell you get an Ibanez and the last 3 will start complaining about Line6 Spiders.

Quote by hammett11
well Ideally that would be great. low cost and best sound, lol.

The NT-5s and 012s are on-par, if not better than the SM-81s and can be found cheaper used for a pair than a single SM-81 on MF
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
how does a single nt5 sound?
Quote by leavesandman

Quote by richwatkinson

I'd think about the SM7b. It's great for acoustic guitar, and all sorts of vocals. Plus, it's dynamic, so it works a lot better in untreated rooms.
Quote by boffen
I'd think about the SM7b. It's great for acoustic guitar, and all sorts of vocals. Plus, it's dynamic, so it works a lot better in untreated rooms.

A dynamic would be much more favorable, that way it wouldn't have to be phantom powered. thank you
Quote by leavesandman

Quote by richwatkinson

The SM7b would not be a very good choice if you don't have a quality preamp to drive it. That mic on an acoustic is an acquired taste.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
The SM7b would not be a very good choice if you don't have a quality preamp to drive it. That mic on an acoustic is an acquired taste.

I have a DBX 376 channel strip, I wondered how a dynamic on a mic would sound (other than an an SM57, which needs too much gain Imo) but I do like the idea of not having to use phantom power.
Quote by leavesandman

Quote by richwatkinson

Quote by hammett11
I have a DBX 376 channel strip, I wondered how a dynamic on a mic would sound (other than an an SM57, which needs too much gain Imo) but I do like the idea of not having to use phantom power.

The SM7b needs A LOT of gain.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
One, do you have an interface with phantom power?

2. Buy a pair of rode nt-5's at that price. Not new though, ebay is littered with better prices. The rodes are incredibly versatile little things. great for overheads, great for acoustic instruments like guitar and pianos(uprights and grands), and even vocals

3. The SM7b is a great mic but not my first or second choice when recording acoustic guitar. It takes a shit load of gain to make the mic pickup a signal( i usually have to almost max out my profire's gain) to get the mic to register. Although it does cover the full spectrum of sound (frequency wise), it isnt as how can i put this, "dynamic" as other condensers. Meaning condenser mics were more responsive to the over all changes of the source being recorded
Mclaw should be able to back me up on these statements
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Quote by mexican_shred
One, do you have an interface with phantom power?

2. Buy a pair of rode nt-5's at that price. Not new though, ebay is littered with better prices. The rodes are incredibly versatile little things. great for overheads, great for acoustic instruments like guitar and pianos(uprights and grands), and even vocals

3. The SM7b is a great mic but not my first or second choice when recording acoustic guitar. It takes a shit load of gain to make the mic pickup a signal( i usually have to almost max out my profire's gain) to get the mic to register. Although it does cover the full spectrum of sound (frequency wise), it isnt as how can i put this, "dynamic" as other condensers. Meaning condenser mics were more responsive to the over all changes of the source being recorded
Mclaw should be able to back me up on these statements

Yes I have phantom power, but here is the situation, we write humorous songs and record them all in about three hours, so we don't really have time for memorization, so I usually just stick a condenser in front of him to record everything, but I'm not happy with the guitar sound. I'm seriously considering the nt-5's. and if the sm7b requires a lot of gain then that really wouldn't really help. this is an example of what I mean: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=go7_x-4lgns. And I promise i'm not just trying to get publicity off the link. I would like to move the bluebird closer to his moth and a different Mic in front of the guitar and record on two different tracks on one take.
Quote by leavesandman

Quote by richwatkinson