i have just brought some of this from ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130393070804&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

i intended to use it to coat the back of a new cavity case but since i didnt make a new one i didnt need it.

i have also seen a few pictures of modded guitars with what looks like the same stuff coating the inside of the cavity/pickup cavitys

does it make much of a difference tone wise or is it a safety thing??? its my first mod so im just sort of learning this sort of thing as i go along rather than researching it lol
Quote by Metalmarathon
The concept of self-fulfilling prophecies never seem to occur to the ones that always create them.

Attic Green
My Band
It's a noise thing. Reduces noise.

Does anyone know if Tin or Aluminum tape will do the same thing? I just realized, my dad bought some for something a while ago.
..I was watching my death.
it will.

TS, shileding the pup cavities will affect tone, similar to putting a pup cover over a humbucker. you can do it a certain way and it wont affect tone, though.
Quote by timbit2006
It's a noise thing. Reduces noise.

Does anyone know if Tin or Aluminum tape will do the same thing? I just realized, my dad bought some for something a while ago.

I've used aluminum ducting tape before and it worked well. You just have to make sure that if/when you overlap pieces that it's conductive across them. Also, you won't be able to solder to it, so if you need to attach a ground wire you'll need to use a screw to provide a contact point.
[thread="1285220"]First Build - Zebrawood Tele[/thread]
[thread="1288529"]Second Build[/thread]
[thread="1334385"]Curbside Build[/thread]