Poll: EP or EZ?
Poll Options
View poll results: EP or EZ?
Edge Zero
19 51%
Edge Pro
18 49%
Voters: 37.
Edge Zero feels stiffer and more like a fixed bridge, it's more stable, it has locking studs.

I'd say Edge Zero.
reportedly(and according to the posts in your link),the edge zero has flat return from pullups with the ZPS and the fine tuners dont work very well..and it is not made by gotoh in japan instead it is made by who knows who in china..

but still I have to find out which is the best...I am in the middle of the quest....

voted for the EP for a few reasons that i found out by myself...If you can select both answers,I would vote for both..

Steve vai and satch used EP's and still uses them..js1200,jem 7v(almost all the jems and Js's between 2003 and 09 had them)

the EZ is still brand new..we have yet find out if their will be any reliability issues down the road..

Because of the ZPS and everything..the number trem springs cannot be increased(correct me if I am wrong)so that means using Ultra heavy gauge strings will have to avoided.

Because of all those parts and gadets in the EZ there is an increased chance something to go wrong...IMO simplicity=reliability...thats why I prefer the Original Edge over all of them...

Reprtedly the fine tuners dont work very well(I cant be sure of it)some people say that they are over sensitive..

the EDGE pro IMO has been around for almost 7 years now,and has earned its place as a good solid trem without any problems..

that is what I think..
Last edited by archenemyfan at Jun 2, 2010,
Wow just saw the results at jemsite...

Edge Zero - 2 votes

Edge pro - 18 votes!!!

looks like my quest is coming to an end....
Last edited by archenemyfan at Jun 2, 2010,
Quote by archenemyfan
looks like my quest is coming to an end....

Jemsite is full of Jem fanatics and traditionalists, they'll never accept the idea of anything new, If it were up to them they'd all be using 1989s Jems.

It's made in china for cheaper labor costs, and it's used on all the higher-end Ibanez guitars. and it's made of high quality materials.

EP has already proved itself, but I believe that EZ has a lot more to offer ...
Quote by Tyraziell

EP has already proved itself, but I believe that EZ has a lot more to offer ...

the materials are most probably the same...they wont change that

but I guess we will have to wait and see..for the time being it is better to play it safe and get an EP.

but there are some honored ibanez guys at jemsite though..Like Mr.Rich harris

given that,looks like there are some problems in the EZ though...I saw it at the ibanez forums too
Quote by archenemyfan
[..]

Steve vai and satch used EP's and still uses them..js1200,jem 7v(almost all the jems and Js's between 2003 and 09 had them)

[...]

Well, technically, the EP's have been on their signature models, but if you look at footage from those era's, both of them have had original Edge's installed because they preferred them. The regular Edge's are now even back on their models.

And I believe even Herman Li (who's supposed to use the Edge Zero) has had the Edge (Pro) installed on his stage/studio guitars, because he said the EZ just doesn't give him what he needs...

As for the voting... I don't think you could make a good comparison yet; the EZ's are so new. Even EdgeIII's work fine the first couple of weeks you use them. In a few years, people will be able to choose what they prefer. Regular customer people can't afford installing a new bridge every x months, so they'll stick with the EZ and tell us all what it's like.
Quote by Y00p
Well, technically, the EP's have been on their signature models, but if you look at footage from those era's, both of them have had original Edge's installed because they preferred them. The regular Edge's are now even back on their models.

And I believe even Herman Li (who's supposed to use the Edge Zero) has had the Edge (Pro) installed on his stage/studio guitars, because he said the EZ just doesn't give him what he needs...

As for the voting... I don't think you could make a good comparison yet; the EZ's are so new. Even EdgeIII's work fine the first couple of weeks you use them. In a few years, people will be able to choose what they prefer. Regular customer people can't afford installing a new bridge every x months, so they'll stick with the EZ and tell us all what it's like.

Yes Undoubtedly the Edge is the best..I think we all agree..but what I'm trying to tell is that sometimes they also use Edge pro's but not Edge Zeros..looks like they have more faith in simple trems like LoPro,EDge and EP..

really herman switchwed to EP's?how do you know(asking as a question..not dissin you )
Quote by archenemyfan
Yes Undoubtedly the Edge is the best..I think we all agree..but what I'm trying to tell is that sometimes they also use Edge pro's but not Edge Zeros..looks like they have more faith in simple trems like LoPro,EDge and EP..

really herman switchwed to EP's?how do you know(asking as a question..not dissin you )

No worries! I'll try to find it.

Edit: I think I got some things mixed up: Apparently he had the ZR on his protoype and switched to the EP. I remember seeing different footage about what he's using now though, and why. Can't remember where. Aw well, here's the first clip: Skip to about 2:50
Last edited by Y00p at Jun 2, 2010,
EZ stays in tune just fine. On "feel", your mileage may vary.

A lot of people dislike it because they're staunch traditionalists or just simply like to whine (the latter tends to be the case). When asked why they dislike the system, they come up with nebulous explanations along the lines of "it just doesn't feel right". Fair enough, that's what she said. On the other hand, EZ has good design features, easy to use and maintain, and can really do anything the old machines could, plus some more.

I don't own one mostly due to the fact that I don't like any of the guitars it's on (and retrofitting is beyond tricky), but you can't argue with the EZ arm socket being superior to that of Edge/LP/EP, and the fact that you don't need three and a half arms with six fingers each to intonate it on the fly.

Basically, unless you have a pre-existing bias against progress, EZ will serve you well.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
Quote by pifty

A lot of people dislike it because they're staunch traditionalists or just simply like to whine (the latter tends to be the case). When asked why they dislike the system, they come up with nebulous explanations along the lines of "it just doesn't feel right". Fair enough, that's what she said. On the other hand, EZ has good design features, easy to use and maintain, and can really do anything the old machines could, plus some more.

I don't own one mostly due to the fact that I don't like any of the guitars it's on (and retrofitting is beyond tricky), but you can't argue with the EZ arm socket being superior to that of Edge/LP/EP, and the fact that you don't need three and a half arms with six fingers each to intonate it on the fly.

Basically, unless you have a pre-existing bias against progress, EZ will serve you well.

I am also mixed up in this question as I am planinng to by a new guitar...but I am not sure how the EZ will perform say in another 4 years or so....reliability is an issue..
It's also worth mentioning that EZ (or any ZPS-equipped system) has two modes of operation - with the ZPS or without it. Attaining a proper balance with the ZPS is tricky, since you need to combine the tensions of the trem springs and the stopbar to counter the string tension. Overdo it, and your return will be flat. Underdo it, and it will be sharp. Do it just right, and you'll enjoy a trem that's good to pull on, but gives you just enough extra tension on a dive to resist detuning during heavy bends and such. Doing it just right is important, though, and once set up, the ZPS and non-ZPS modes are not interchangeable at all.

You need to pick the way you want to use it - with, or without the stopbar - and then set it up for that way. Which way's right for you? If you want full-floating fluttery fun, toss the ZPS out and balance the trem. If you tend to rape your strings, do extreme bends, and generally play in a way which heavily favours a fixed bridge, then a properly set up ZPS will give you some advantages of a floating trem while keeping you in reasonable tune. Something Ibanez never mentions, of course - they just want you to buy the gizmos because they look fancy.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
Quote by pifty

This is right on the money. The EZ was my first double locking trem and I don't want anything else. I've played Edge Pros and OFRs but I like the EZ much more. They're different and a lot of people are traditionalists, especially on JEMsite. They're on a message board based on one guitar that has pretty much been the same for more than two decades. What else do you expect? The same can be said about a lot of Ibanez fans. Some people wish that RGs were the same as they were in the 80s.

Herman uses an Edge Zero. He wasn't forced to use it either. He could've went with EP or ZR.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgmNbG_wVZI (around 6:30)
Quote by JELIFISH19
This is right on the money. The EZ was my first double locking trem and I don't want anything else. I've played Edge Pros and OFRs but I like the EZ much more. They're different and a lot of people are traditionalists, especially on JEMsite. They're on a message board based on one guitar that has pretty much been the same for more than two decades. What else do you expect? The same can be said about a lot of Ibanez fans. Some people wish that RGs were the same as they were in the 80s.

Herman uses an Edge Zero. He wasn't forced to use it either. He could've went with EP or ZR.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgmNbG_wVZI (around 6:30)

do you have any issues with the ZPS?

feel is subjective..Its not about personal preference its about reliability,funcionality and technicality..
But you will have to agree with the fact that the EZ is around for only two years now and how reliable it will be in another 4-5 years..because all those gadgets makes me think that something is bound to go wrong..in the end metal wears out,how high quality it might be..

well steve vai and satch too uses the EP sometimes..and they werent forced either..

and also hermans EZ is modded..he doesnt use ZPS and has special springs and correct if I am wrong,a special type of studs too
I dont why Herman chose the EZ instead of the fabulous Lopro or Edge..sure it has more gadgetry but nothing can beat the OE or LP

24 YEARS AND STILL GOING STRONG!!!
Quote by JELIFISH19
The same can be said about a lot of Ibanez fans. Some people wish that RGs were the same as they were in the 80s.
The annoying thing about this is that people mostly wish that RGs were the same colour as in the 80s. They started buying up indonesian 350s by a heap once those became available in yellow, and hardware quality be damned.

On a side note, EP was derided in the same way by the same people when it came out. Sure, Edge and LoPro have unparalleled durability, but there's no good reason to suspect Edge Zeros will suddenly start collapsing either. There's nothing in it to introduce any "unreliability", the gadgets are just simple in-your-face stuff. It's not a german luxury car with miles and miles of wire harnesses and hundreds of microprocessors in it which will inevitably self-destruct shortly into their lifespan if only due to their sheer complexity.
Quote by archenemyfan
do you have any issues with the ZPS?

feel is subjective..Its not about personal preference its about reliability,funcionality and technicality..

None whatsoever. I did slightly mod mine though. It has some padding behind the trem block and in the groves where the ZPS3 sits. I took them off because I figured that it was the cause of it not returning to zero. Now it returns to zero everytime. I also found that the springs take time to break in. After 2 years of owning it, it's a lot less stiff than when I got it. The springs are much shorter and thicker than traditional trem springs. That's why two of them works fine. I play with 10-52s and it works fine for standard to drop B with plenty of room for more movement. I personally find the Edge Zero to be the most comfortable bridge to play on of any type. My RG was a blind buy but I based the purchase on playing a RG770DX reissue. I didn't really like the Original Edge. I guess I got lucky. The only reason I got it was because of a Black Friday sale that saved me 20%. I've never been happier with a guitar gear purchase in my life. I'm extremely happy with the trem.
Quote by pifty
The annoying thing about this is that people mostly wish that RGs were the same colour as in the 80s. They started buying up indonesian 350s by a heap once those became available in yellow, and hardware quality be damned.

On a side note, EP was derided in the same way by the same people when it came out. Sure, Edge and LoPro have unparalleled durability, but there's no good reason to suspect Edge Zeros will suddenly start collapsing either. There's nothing in it to introduce any "unreliability", the gadgets are just simple in-your-face stuff. It's not a german luxury car with miles and miles of wire harnesses and hundreds of microprocessors in it which will inevitably self-destruct shortly into their lifespan if only due to their sheer complexity.

yeah you're correct on that though..THose people at jemsite was bashing the EP when it came as if it was absolute crap..and now its their hero ..blah!

cant imagine how The EZ equipped guitars magically cost as same as EP guitars....with all those new parts

but you really never answered the question did you?

which one would you take..I like to know that
Quote by JELIFISH19
None whatsoever. I did slightly mod mine though. It has some padding behind the trem block and in the groves where the ZPS3 sits. I took them off because I figured that it was the cause of it not returning to zero. Now it returns to zero everytime. I also found that the springs take time to break in. After 2 years of owning it, it's a lot less stiff than when I got it. The springs are much shorter and thicker than traditional trem springs. That's why two of them works fine. I play with 10-52s and it works fine for standard to drop B with plenty of room for more movement. I personally find the Edge Zero to be the most comfortable bridge to play on of any type. My RG was a blind buy but I based the purchase on playing a RG770DX reissue. I didn't really like the Original Edge. I guess I got lucky. The only reason I got it was because of a Black Friday sale that saved me 20%. I've never been happier with a guitar gear purchase in my life. I'm extremely happy with the trem.

well then it did initially have a problem right?

but have to agree,the EZ is the most CONVENIENT TREM ever Made..tha actually dort of works(unlike the kahler)
Quote by archenemyfan
but you really never answered the question did you?

which one would you take..I like to know that
EZ hands down.

EP wasn't an evolution of LP at all. It introduced a "sound metal chip" (wha?) on the saddles and that silly thing where you don't have to cut off string ball ends (which to me was a huh moment since I tend to string with the ball at the tuner). The fact that string locks at the saddle were integrated could come handy, but it wasn't a big deal either.

EZ, on the other hand, actually has a couple of very tangible improvements over LP.
Quote by pifty
EZ hands down.

EP wasn't an evolution of LP at all. It introduced a "sound metal chip" (wha?) on the saddles and that silly thing where you don't have to cut off string ball ends (which to me was a huh moment since I tend to string with the ball at the tuner). The fact that string locks at the saddle were integrated could come handy, but it wasn't a big deal either.

EZ, on the other hand, actually has a couple of very tangible improvements over LP.

so EP is basically a LP with more garish...so does that mean that you'd take an EZ over a LP?
Quote by pifty

Its also got a lower profile than the LP, the 'Sound Metal Chip' makes piezo retrofits extremely simple, and the integrated lock is great. Its also shorter overall so its got a bigger range. Bad thing is they lost the locking studs, but its easy to swap them.
Quote by littlephil
Its also got a lower profile than the LP, the 'Sound Metal Chip' makes piezo retrofits extremely simple, and the integrated lock is great. Its also shorter overall so its got a bigger range. Bad thing is they lost the locking studs, but its easy to swap them.

There's simple, and there's redneck simple - which stands for borderline impossible but theoretically probable (Swappin' one of 'um chevy big blocks in this here lawnmower is dayum' easy). I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that the only feasible piezo retrofit for an EP involves using the saddles off the DEP, just like simple piezo retrofits for any trem involve using a specialized saddle. That's simple. Replacing a part of a stock saddle with a piezo sensor (where do you even get EP-compatible piezo sensors?), drilling wire passages in saddles - that's redneck simple (hyperbole, I know, but still). Show me anyone who's done it, and I'll tip my hat to their ingenuity and persistence.

The rest is up to you; I personally prefer the profile (and consequently range) of the Edge to both the EP and LP, but if I were to pick between the two of the latter, I'd pick the LP since the locking studs are already on it, intonation tools for it are available, and it doesn't have the "keep the ball ends" feature which I'd never ever use anyways. To me personally, as far as "feel" goes, EP and LP are pretty much equal.

Quote by archenemyfan
so does that mean that you'd take an EZ over a LP?
I'd think long and hard about the no-nonsense tight utilitarian design of the LP and useful improvements of the EZ... and I'd probably still pick the LP because you can get it in some pretty cool old-school guitars.
hey I sent Pifty a Pm with some questions for further clarification..please answer them if you can...

And to the TS sorry for hijacking the thread...
Quote by archenemyfan
reportedly(and according to the posts in your link),the edge zero has flat return from pullups with the ZPS and the fine tuners dont work very well..and it is not made by gotoh in japan instead it is made by who knows who in china..

but still I have to find out which is the best...I am in the middle of the quest....

voted for the EP for a few reasons that i found out by myself...If you can select both answers,I would vote for both..

the EZ is still brand new..we have yet find out if their will be any reliability issues down the road..

Because of the ZPS and everything..the number trem springs cannot be increased(correct me if I am wrong)so that means using Ultra heavy gauge strings will have to avoided.

Because of all those parts and gadets in the EZ there is an increased chance something to go wrong...IMO simplicity=reliability...thats why I prefer the Original Edge over all of them...

Reprtedly the fine tuners dont work very well(I cant be sure of it)some people say that they are over sensitive..

the EDGE pro IMO has been around for almost 7 years now,and has earned its place as a good solid trem without any problems..

that is what I think..

to me sounds like you mixed up the Edge Zero and the ZR, the edge zero uses the same knife edge system as the edge series (i hope to hell its not based on the edge III). You can use it with higher gauges because you can change the tension even easier than the standard floating trem. It just uses a screw type of device to increase or decrease the amount of force, and you don't have to open the back to get at it (unless it has a range that doesn't allow for 11s in E or something like that). In the end, I agree with your reasoning. It hasn't been out for very long so the feedback on problems isn't there, and as you put it " simplicity=reliability "
2009 Engl Powerball 100watt
1985 Marshall 1960a 4x12 with G12-65s
1989 Ibanez 540S LTD DY
2006 Epiphone G-400
Quote by acdc51502112
to me sounds like you mixed up the Edge Zero and the ZR, the edge zero uses the same knife edge system as the edge series (i hope to hell its not based on the edge III). You can use it with higher gauges because you can change the tension even easier than the standard floating trem. It just uses a screw type of device to increase or decrease the amount of force, and you don't have to open the back to get at it (unless it has a range that doesn't allow for 11s in E or something like that). In the end, I agree with your reasoning. It hasn't been out for very long so the feedback on problems isn't there, and as you put it " simplicity=reliability "

yeah yeah you're right there but I hardly doubt that two trem springs will be enough to accommodate 62 gauge for low E?not sure about that anyway..

and thanks for agreeing with me
Last edited by archenemyfan at Jun 3, 2010,
Quote by pifty
There's simple, and there's redneck simple - which stands for borderline impossible but theoretically probable (Swappin' one of 'um chevy big blocks in this here lawnmower is dayum' easy). I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that the only feasible piezo retrofit for an EP involves using the saddles off the DEP, just like simple piezo retrofits for any trem involve using a specialized saddle. That's simple. Replacing a part of a stock saddle with a piezo sensor (where do you even get EP-compatible piezo sensors?), drilling wire passages in saddles - that's redneck simple (hyperbole, I know, but still). Show me anyone who's done it, and I'll tip my hat to their ingenuity and persistence.

LR Baggs X insert is a perfect fit for the Sound Metal Chip, just take them out, drop the piezo in and run the wires through the holes they made for the strings to run through the trem. The saddles are exactly the same as the Double EP's saddles, just with the chip rather than a piezo element.
http://www.shotgunnmods.net/shotgunnmods.net/Edge_Pro_Piezo_Mod.html
There you go.

Although, I do agree with you, I'd prefer a LP over the EP, its just everyone tries to make out that its nowhere near as good, but it is almost as good.
Quote by littlephil
LR Baggs X insert is a perfect fit for the Sound Metal Chip, just take them out, drop the piezo in and run the wires through the holes they made for the strings to run through the trem. The saddles are exactly the same as the Double EP's saddles, just with the chip rather than a piezo element.
http://www.shotgunnmods.net/shotgunnmods.net/Edge_Pro_Piezo_Mod.html
There you go.
Aaah, nice. To think about it, DEP likely uses the very same transducer found in any X-Bridge. Actually the same transducers used on DLP as well - except that DLP saddles were very different from LP. One point to you!

Quote by littlephil
Although, I do agree with you, I'd prefer a LP over the EP, its just everyone tries to make out that its nowhere near as good, but it is almost as good.
I always firmly thought that the two are pretty much the same damn thing under the skin. The EZ on the other hand, is something new.