I have completely fallen in love with Killswitch Engage's guitar tone. I love the dynamics that they capture in their recordings. Specifically the albums End of Heartache and As Daylight Dies.

Does anyone have any ideas or knowledge of how they do their micing? They have the closest tone to the tone I want that I've heard. I do want a little more growl and less crunch (less distortion and more mids) though.
I wouldn't say micing is the only way to get that tone. Guitar woods, necks, pickups, as well as the players themselves are really the way they achieve the tone you're talking about. It also helps to have expensive EQs and Compressors available to you in the studio. Try your best to get that tone!
well thats partially amp choice ya know and eqing of the amp they also use about 7 different mics on a cab but its certainly obtainable just might take a while to find everythig
pro tools operator certified
agile in-ceptor 727
gibson:les-paul studio
fender:strat
ibanez:prestiege s2170se s520ex
esp:ec-1000vb
splawn nitro kt88s
genz-bends g-flex

Quote by Punkismygod
U sure u want a floydrose? those things will make your nerves explode
Quote by gquady09
I wouldn't say micing is the only way to get that tone. Guitar woods, necks, pickups, as well as the players themselves are really the way they achieve the tone you're talking about. It also helps to have expensive EQs and Compressors available to you in the studio. Try your best to get that tone!

I have good equiptment and I'm getting great tone when I'm not recording. The only issue I'm having now is the micing.
Gear prolly makes up 75% of that tone if not more. You can get close with your own gear but it will take a lot of experimentation, no one but them and their audio engineer could tell you how exactly. Just using your ears is your best bet man. I wish I had John Frusciante's tone, but my chances of that are well, 0.001% lol.
My Music
-Leave a rating, comment with link will C4C-
I updated my signature with my rig
MY GEAR

Jackson Soloist w/ EMG-81 @ bridge and EMG PSA @ neck
Takamine EF341SC
Fender Squire bass

Peavey Vypyr 120 Head
Mesa Boogie slant 4x12

Dunlop 535q wah
Boss Metal Zone (for DI recording)
Shure SM57
Tascam US-122
Reaper
Cubase
Killswitch's tone something that so many people go after. I think it was a Triple rectifier mixed with a 5150, i could be completely wrong though. To me what really makes there tone is, gear, the way the bass and drums compliment the guitars, and most important of all, there amazingly tight playing.

Its all about hitting the strings hard and playing REALLLLYYYY tight. Even with that rig, if you cant play tight, it will sound like shit, and same vice versa.
5150 III 100W, Mesa 4x12 Cab, Framus Cobra Cab, M-Audio Profire 610, ISA One Pre, SC607-b, Equator D5's, Countryman Type 85 Di box, Radial JCR, Superior Drummer, SSD 4 Ex, TS9, NS-2 and the list goes on and on
The main component of their tone is gonna be down to the amps. You really need to pick an album tone you like and go from there cause they use different amps on pretty much every album.

AOJB - triple rectos
EoH - Framus Dragon and a 5150 (I think)
New ST - Nitro and JCM 800

As for how to get the tone from there....Adam D mics further away than most of us recommend. In an interview I read he said he just throws up a SM57 6inch off the cloth pointed where the dustcap meets the cone.

Finally, I don't think you'll be able to get there with a Vypyr....each of the amps I listed that they use is gonna run at least 2k new. Except the 5150, but I'm not 100% on whether they used that or not.
Guitars: PRS Custom 24, PRS EG3, PRS Santana SE, PRS Tremonti SE, ESP-LTD M-200FM

Acoustics: Maton EM225C, Washburn WD-42S, Ovation Tangent

Amps: Peavey 5150 Mk 1, Randall V2, Marshall JCM2000 DSL100

Cab: Framus FR212
Without Rectos and 5150s, getting that KsE tone is a lost cause.
micing will be the least of your worries.

If the Vyper is the only amp available to you then you'd probably be better off going DI and using Amp-Sims for this tone. any of the usual freeware ones would do a good job.
The Vypyr is the closest thing to a rec tone ive heard. A lot of people judge the vypyr because its a digital mod amp but the head has a full power tube (6L6) section and the distortion is diode clipping not digital as most digital amps. The 6505 on the amp is 99% the same as the 6505. Id say the rec is about 95%. My tone pre recording is incredible and if nothing else im just trying to get that same tone in the recording. A lot of people have responded with "its your gear or how you play" and I know enough to know that its not. My problem is how im recording the guitars.
MY GEAR

Takamine EF341SC
Fender Squire bass

Peavey Vypyr 120 Head
Mesa Boogie slant 4x12

Dunlop 535q wah
Shure SM57
Tascam US-122
Reaper
Cubase
If you read my post above I told you exactly how Adam D records guitars and consequently how KsE record their guitars.

And yes, the vypyr is a decent modeller....but it doesn't compare to a recto or a 5150. I've played all of them and whilst the vypyr anihilates things like spiders etc it doesn't come close to the real deal. If the VYpyr is 95% of the recto tone...why do people still pay 2k for a new dual recto instead of £450 for a Vypyr?

Chances are you're not hearing how your amp actually sounds because of the room and your position in it etc. I'm not trying to bring you down or anything like that...but I'm just trying to be straight and say without serious investment, you will not get that tone.

As for mic techniques, you can use Adam's like I mentioned above....or just go the usual 1 inch where the dustcap meets the cone approach and tweak. It's up to you man
Guitars: PRS Custom 24, PRS EG3, PRS Santana SE, PRS Tremonti SE, ESP-LTD M-200FM

Acoustics: Maton EM225C, Washburn WD-42S, Ovation Tangent

Amps: Peavey 5150 Mk 1, Randall V2, Marshall JCM2000 DSL100

Cab: Framus FR212
Thanks for the post. I do think rectos obviously sound better but not by that much. I was more of less trying to emphasize that my gear is not NEAR as big of a problem as my mic technique and it was more direct at tigbitties than you. Thanks though
MY GEAR

Takamine EF341SC
Fender Squire bass

Peavey Vypyr 120 Head
Mesa Boogie slant 4x12

Dunlop 535q wah
Shure SM57
Tascam US-122
Reaper
Cubase
Quote by GuitardedMark
Thanks for the post. I do think rectos obviously sound better but not by that much. I was more of less trying to emphasize that my gear is not NEAR as big of a problem as my mic technique and it was more direct at tigbitties than you. Thanks though

If you are really having trouble with mixing then i would keep practicing it, but maybe just try and use amp sims for now. Here is a quick test i made with amp sims using Rose of Sharyn DI's

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2113488/REVALVER%20MKIII%20TEST.mp3

Its a bit overgained though (i dont feel like re-rendering it). The only thing that amp sims are giveaways on is how the distortion sounds so digital, But its better than nothing
5150 III 100W, Mesa 4x12 Cab, Framus Cobra Cab, M-Audio Profire 610, ISA One Pre, SC607-b, Equator D5's, Countryman Type 85 Di box, Radial JCR, Superior Drummer, SSD 4 Ex, TS9, NS-2 and the list goes on and on