Hi, so essentially i've got around £1500 to spend on gear and other stuff thanks to a rather nice gift from my grandparents

so i was thinking of certainly taking this opportunity to buy some gear but i'm not really sure what. This is my current rig:

1970s Gibson Les Paul Standard
ESP Ltd H-1000 (with EMGs)
Ibanez RG1570
Mesa Dual Rectifier
TC Electronics Nova Delay
Jim Dunlop Cry Baby

I was thinking maybe a another guitar?? but what other things could you guys suggest??

Btw i play hard rock, shred and metal but also like a bit of classic rock.

thanks in advance!!!
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
Maybe a new amp which suits classic rock better?
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
dude you need more gear? you got a dual recto, a Les Paul...what else do you want seriously? A Hss Strat maybe...or a telly?
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
Quote by JesusCrisp

tbh i hardly ever play the stuff, and if i do i tend to cope pretty well as it is. i was tempted at looking into a used PRS and some new pups for my Ibanez??

Quote by AngryGoldfish
What bands do you like to play?

a lot of Dream Theater, Satch, Vai, i then tend to play a lot of stuff like Arch Enemy Megadeth and COB

Quote by Kozlic
dude you need more gear? you got a dual recto, a Les Paul...what else do you want seriously? A Hss Strat maybe...or a telly?

yeah i know it sounds a bit ridiculous but i thought hey why not if i can lol. not a fan of tele's tbh, not a twang fan HSS strat sounds like an option tho
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
Quote by shredftw
tbh i hardly ever play the stuff, and if i do i tend to cope pretty well as it is. i was tempted at looking into a used PRS and some new pups for my Ibanez??

a lot of Dream Theater, Satch, Vai, i then tend to play a lot of stuff like Arch Enemy Megadeth and COB

yeah i know it sounds a bit ridiculous but i thought hey why not if i can lol. not a fan of tele's tbh, not a twang fan HSS strat sounds like an option tho
How about a Custom Guitar? Check out Jaden Rose Guitars. They are a little over your budget, but supposedly EXTREMELY worth it. I'm hopefully going to ask for a custom made 7-string mutli scale guitar with a flamed maple top this year some time.
Quote by AngryGoldfish
How about a Custom Guitar? Check out Jaden Rose Guitars. They are a little over your budget, but supposedly EXTREMELY worth it. I'm hopefully going to ask for a custom made 7-string mutli scale guitar with a flamed maple top this year some time.

a lot of those seem to be out of my price range tho and i can't go above £1500 even tho they seem to be very nice guitars.

how much are used PRS's?? can i get anything decent like a Custom 24??

also any views on the Mesa Transatlantic?? i'm going off to uni in october and need a smaller amp for my room.

thanks for the help so far guys!!!
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
Ahhh, you should get a smaller amp, yeah, if you are playing in a dorm room.

And yeah, you could probably get a good PRS for £1500. You could also get a good Vigier or a Suhr.
Quote by JesusCrisp

IMO the Rectos are actually pretty nice classic rock amps.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
personally i would get an amp more aimed at vintage stuff and also a guitar more aimed at vintage stuff (with fender-style single coils). you can get a valvepower 18 watt clone for like £350 (i assume you already have a cab for your recto; a more vintage-voiced cab would be the ideal, but it's not a necessity), that'd still leave you enough for a guitar.

alternatively you could get a more fendery amp. or something voxy. (or all 3... )

you could even get a couple of guitars with that money if they don't have to be boutique-standard- you can pick up (just as an example) MIJ Tokai Fender copies for around the £500-£600 mark (ditto Gibson copies), as long as they don't have to have a nitro finish, one-piece bodies etc.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jun 2, 2010,
^+1

Quote by shredftw

Btw i play hard rock, shred and metal but also like a bit of classic rock.

Your dual rec is great for the shred and metal but it's only OK for hard rock and classic rock. I'd get another amp. Something like a 18 watt combo would fit very nicely in your rig. *Cough* rock monkey dirty box of fun *cough* Or you could always get something like a vox AC30, tweed twin, or tweed bassman.

You also seem to have a great shred and metal setup in the guitar department but I've noticed a lack of good guitar with single coils so a nice strat or tele could be a good way to spend the money as well. Lots of great hard rock and classic rock really needs singles.

Thats what I'd do, but if you are playing predominantly metal and shred with just a hint of hard rock and classic rock then getting better hard rock and classic rock gear would be kind of a waste, in which case, I'd buy a good ibanez and spend the rest on pedals.
Last edited by CorduroyEW at Jun 2, 2010,
Quote by shredftw
a lot of those seem to be out of my price range tho and i can't go above £1500 even tho they seem to be very nice guitars.

how much are used PRS's?? can i get anything decent like a Custom 24??

also any views on the Mesa Transatlantic?? i'm going off to uni in october and need a smaller amp for my room.

thanks for the help so far guys!!!

I got my PRS for £1500 and I overpayed tbh. If you're willing to travel my local shop has a lovely NOS CE24 from 2002 for £1500. PM me for details.
Quote by CorduroyEW
^+1

and i agree, a recto isn't ideal for CR. Unless you're only playing an extremely small amount of more vintage stuff, in which case it wouldn't maybe be worth the expense. And even then, you can get one of those wee 5 watters which'll probably do the vintage stuff better- and be much easier to crank up- half (if not more) the tone of CR being power tube distortion- for between £100-£200.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by 09phillt
If you're off to uni I'd save it for then, you'll run out of money VERY quickly

all my fees are paid for, and i have plently left over. again grandparents ftw!!!

Quote by CorduroyEW
Your dual rec is great for the shred and metal but it's only OK for hard rock and classic rock. I'd get another amp. Something like a 18 watt combo would fit very nicely in your rig. *Cough* rock monkey dirty box of fun *cough* Or you could always get something like a vox AC30, tweed twin, or tweed bassman.

You also seem to have a great shred and metal setup in the guitar department but I've noticed a lack of good guitar with single coils so a nice strat or tele could be a good way to spend the money as well. Lots of great hard rock and classic rock really needs singles.

Thats what I'd do, but if you are playing predominantly metal and shred with just a hint of hard rock and classic rock then getting better hard rock and classic rock gear would be kind of a waste, in which case, I'd buy a good ibanez and spend the rest on pedals.

tbh i'm happy with my Dual Rec for the tones it gives

on the amp side of things i'm not really playing a lot of classic rock, its mostly all Dream Theater esque and heavier music in general.

i was thinking maybe selling my ibanez as well to get some extra cash and get something maybe a bit more high end. i'm starting not to like the ibby necks they're just too thin for my liking. How are the higher end ESPs??

still any views on the Transatlantic??
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
if you don't play too much CR, how about one of the small 5 watters (if you're only playing at home)? Bear in mind they're still pretty loud (though the vox one has an attenuator, ditto the bugera, I haven't tried either, though), but that might be worth considering as it'd hardly make a dent in your budget.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by shredftw
all my fees are paid for, and i have plently left over. again grandparents ftw!!!

tbh i'm happy with my Dual Rec for the tones it gives

on the amp side of things i'm not really playing a lot of classic rock, its mostly all Dream Theater esque and heavier music in general.

i was thinking maybe selling my ibanez as well to get some extra cash and get something maybe a bit more high end. i'm starting not to like the ibby necks they're just too thin for my liking. How are the higher end ESPs??

still any views on the Transatlantic??

The TA seems to be a clean and mid-gain amp, IDK if it's worth its price since I haven't played it yet, but from soundclips it's not an amp you would want for playing Dream Theater and stuff (not enough gain).
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
ahh ok, so what about guitars then??

currently i'm thinking a used PRS 24, a high end ESP or even a used EBMM model
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
Few of my options:

HSS strat/Carvin bolt/PRS
Smaller amp for classic rock: fender, vox or a mesa 5:25 maybe?
few more pedals, pickups for your ibanez and save the rest
new cab for the mesa?
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Mayones Regius 7 Buckeye Burl
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
Quote by Shredx
Few of my options:

HSS strat/Carvin bolt/PRS
Smaller amp for classic rock: fender, vox or a mesa 5:25 maybe?
few more pedals, pickups for your ibanez and save the rest
new cab for the mesa?

new cab is kinda pointless for me, im currently running a Marshall 1936V 2x12 and it sounds great plus it only just fits in my room so a 4x12 wud be pointless and im not sure if it wud be worth getting the Recto 2x12.

personally i think the Mesa 5:25 isn't all that great and i think a new amp isn't really the right option now, my recto does me fine for everything currently.

I think my options now are either a guitar or new pickups for the ibanez

so....
with PRS i was thinking definitely a 24 series (either CE or Custom but whats the difference??) whats a good used price for one?? does anyone have opinions on the ESP Horizon series??

If i went for pickups i'd probably look into the Dimarzio Liquifire and Crunch Lab pair, but not sure what else to have a look at maybe the Evo2s??

all the help is much appreciated thanks a lot so far!!!
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
a used PRS might be a good investment can run you around £1000 if you look hard enough
and maybe pickups a small tube amp like the ht-5 or similar for uni and a load of pedals to push it into high gain territory?
Quote by shredftw
new cab is kinda pointless for me, im currently running a Marshall 1936V 2x12 and it sounds great plus it only just fits in my room so a 4x12 wud be pointless and im not sure if it wud be worth getting the Recto 2x12.

personally i think the Mesa 5:25 isn't all that great and i think a new amp isn't really the right option now, my recto does me fine for everything currently.

I think my options now are either a guitar or new pickups for the ibanez

so....
with PRS i was thinking definitely a 24 series (either CE or Custom but whats the difference??) whats a good used price for one?? does anyone have opinions on the ESP Horizon series??

If i went for pickups i'd probably look into the Dimarzio Liquifire and Crunch Lab pair, but not sure what else to have a look at maybe the Evo2s??

all the help is much appreciated thanks a lot so far!!!
I think a pair of Bareknuckles would work nicely in your RG. I find Ibanez pick-ups to be a little weak sometimes, for the style of music they are generally used for - metal.

Also, don't limit yourself to just PRS. There are other awesome guitars out there, and they are just as highly regarded as well. As I mentioned, Suhr make fantastic instruments. So do Vigier, Tom Anderson, Mayones, Parker, Caparison, BC Rich, Charvel, LAG, Musicman, etc. They all have something to offer and may be more appropriate for what you want, notably Mayones and Caparison.
Quote by AngryGoldfish
I think a pair of Bareknuckles would work nicely in your RG. I find Ibanez pick-ups to be a little weak sometimes, for the style of music they are generally used for - metal.

Also, don't limit yourself to just PRS. There are other awesome guitars out there, and they are just as highly regarded as well. As I mentioned, Suhr make fantastic instruments. So do Vigier, Tom Anderson, Mayones, Parker, Caparison, BC Rich, Charvel, LAG, Musicman, etc. They all have something to offer and may be more appropriate for what you want, notably Mayones and Caparison.

i wasn't going to limit myself to PRS, plus most of those guitars like Suhr and Tom Anderson are realistically out of my price range even used. Musicman tho i'm very interested in, especially a JP6 or even a JP7 possibly, also Caparison look very nice as well but where could i try one out in the UK? As for BC Rich and Charvel well i'm not a fan tbh, all of the models that i've played from both companies haven't impressed me in the slightest
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
If you look on guitarguitar.com then they have some nice PRS's, I almost bought a Mccarty Korina from them for about £1600, would have been a great deal, but I went with a strat, I don't regret it
"I've Been Imitated So Well I've Heard People Copy My Mistakes"- Jimi Hendrix

We're born to lose, so live to win