Wasn't sure where to put this, but seeing as by putting them in my strat I have customised chose here. Anyway.

I put some Texas Specials in my strat today. The diagram with them said that the bridge pup had a red dot on the back and that the neck pup had a blue dot, with the middle having no dot, so I fitted them like this. Only problem is is that when I then played through it, it sounds more like the one I have put in the middle position should be in the bridge. So I took the strings off the guitar, had a check, and found that I had put the pups in the correct positions, as shown on the diagram

So, the question is, have the pups been labeled wrongly in the factory or should the middle one sound thinner than the bridge with Texas Specials?
Have you got the heights of the pickups set properly? If the middle is quite low it'll affect the volume
Yep the heights are just like I have em on my other strat, got the bridge highest, then the middle, then the neck lowest.
Chances are they're different outputs to your old ones, you're best off setting them all up so to the same volume of the neck pickup because of this being the lowest ouput pickup, then from there make slight adjustment to get the tone you're looking for
Quote by Nathan Sturgess
So, the question is, have the pups been labeled wrongly in the factory or should the middle one sound thinner than the bridge with Texas Specials?
The bridge position has a small amount of string deflection and more harmonics compared to the fundamental frequency. The pickup used there needs to be overwound to get a strong enough output to keep up with the others.

If the middle sounds weak, it's possible your neck and middle are in the wrong positions. The neck position has more string deflection so a pickup used there needs the least amount of windings.

The FIRST thing you should do is determine the magnetic polarity. The bridge and neck will have the same magnetic polarity. The middle will be opposite those two. Use a magnet and see which end sticks to the top of the pole-pieces on each of the three pickups. If the neck and bridge agree with each other, they are in the correct positions.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
That is a good point, the magnetic polarity is correct. I'm getting humbucking when the middle is combined with the neck or bridge, if I had put the bridge in the middle position then this wouldn't happen, should've thought of that myself. It doesn't sound week though, just a lot brighter than most middle pups. But looks like problem solved by checking the polarity. Cheers. At least I have finally found a usable bridge pup, even if I'm not keen on the middle one.
Last edited by Nathan Sturgess at Jun 2, 2010,
Quote by Nathan Sturgess
That is a good point, the magnetic polarity is correct. I'm getting humbucking when the middle is combined with the neck, if I had put the bridge in the middle position then this wouldn't happen, should've thought of that myself. It doesn't sound week though, just a lot brighter than most middle pups. But looks like problem solved with the polarity thing. Cheers. At least I have finally found a usable bridge pup, even if I'm not keen on the middle one.
You can dull down the sound of the middle pickup a bit by wiring a resistor in parallel with it. Mbe try a 270k to start with. Lower values will attenuate more of the high frequencies.

This will affect the tone of the middle when used by itself, and to a lesser extent when used in combination with the other pickups.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by Nathan Sturgess

Possibly, depends on how you have things setup. The bridge in a Texas specials set is wound hotter and they add extra steel inside the pickup to bring up the inductance. Both of these things can cause the bridge to sound darker and thicker. If you are one of those people that puts the bridge pickup as close to the strings as possible and drops the middle down so that you don't hit your pick on it then the middle should be thicker sounding than the bridge but if you have the middle pickup and bridge pickup at similar distances then the middle pickup starts sounding thinner in comparison to the bridge.

To make sure you have them in the correct places you need to get a multimeter and take readings of each pickup. You don't need to take the guitar apart to check this. Just plug a lead in and turn the volume and tone knobs all the way up on the guitar. Then you can touch one multimeter probe to the sleeve of the other end of the lead and touch the other probe to the tip of the lead. Test the reading of each pickup and see what the tell you. In the neck they should read the lowest, middle a little higher, and bridge should be the highest resistance.

Also, are you sure you didn't accidentally solder the wires to the wrong tabs of the switch? Top (closest to the neck) tab should be the bridge, next down is middle and the 3rd tab is the neck. Lots of people install the pickups in the right place but solder them to the wrong lugs.
Last edited by CorduroyEW at Jun 2, 2010,
No, it's all sorted, they are in the correct places, checked the polarity with the old pickups (only magnets I had lying around) just to make sure.
And funny you should say it, but the first thing I checked was that they were wired to the selector correctly by holding my phone playing music near each pup, and moving the selctor switch. What little microphony the pups have showed me that I had soldered everything correctly, I might just lower the middle pickup to darken it a little, as I usually have it at a similar height to the bridge pup.

Thanks all for the help, and I must say that they are fantastic pups, and that the middle and neck combined really do give that sound that you would hope for from a set of 'SRV' pups.