hello chaps... i dar not even think of the flaming i may get for this thread but so be it.

restrung my guitar yesterday 4 the first time ever as my strings have never broke so saw no need to, but decided to try anyway... and i think i must have done a shit job. B and G strings in particular can go out of tune in like 3 minutes flat. i bought Ernie Ball 10's, and think ill have to dump em now. still have my old strings, do you think i should change em back, with youtubes help, coz at least they havent been snipped etc ?
what type of bridge do you have?

how many times did you wrap the string around the tuner?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
What type of bridge do you have? Acoustic or Electric Guitar?
Schecter C-1+
Crestwood Strat Copy (Modded Single Humbucker)
OLP MM2
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Ampeg B25B
Ampeg SVT 15e
RCG Doubleneck #1
a Tune o matic stop bar an tail... ironically the type of bridge designed to be easy to change. ive been youtube hunting just now, and it seems that the fact ive not done a lot of windings around the machne head is my problem... so i think i need to buy more strings, or just use the old ones - ideas ?
you cant restring old strings. thats just asking for problems. I would go get a new pack of strings.
Strings need to stretch wen they have just been changed, so they fall out of tune very easily, so wait another day, and if the problem persists then buy new strings
Give it a couple days as was said. New strings need to be stretched out so they'll lose their tuning relatively easy for a day or two after stringing. Just keep playing and tuning and see what happens.
well ill do that, and get new strings on friday... but ill point out that all strings except the high E, all have like a half winding around the machne head... if that makes sense. which is epic fail on my part, i just never thought about what i was doing, foolishly. in the mean time, ill jam away, and see what happens. thanks kind people
What are you guys talking about couple of days? Pull the strings lightly and one by one with your finger in the area around the pickups, then tune again. Do this like 3 times and you should be good. If they keep going out of tune you messed up some how
Quote by WtrPlyr
1. Pull you strings
2. Do a massive bend on every fret with every string
3. Tune
4. Repeat above steps until you experience little to no change in pitch

+1

And you shouldn't have a problem with a low amount of wraps. I use a half wrap to a full wrap on each string and I never go out of tune.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by KingHenrik1967
well ill do that, and get new strings on friday... but ill point out that all strings except the high E, all have like a half winding around the machne head... if that makes sense. which is epic fail on my part, i just never thought about what i was doing, foolishly. in the mean time, ill jam away, and see what happens. thanks kind people

you want 2-3 winds.

but you CAN hold a tune with less, provided you tied it off correctly.

anyway, like said, stretch the strings, play them tune up a bunch of times and see if you can get it to hold a tune.

AND NEXT TIME... leave 3" slack before winding the string so you'll get 2-3 winds around the tuner.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011