Page 1 of 2
i decided im going to buy a half stack as my next amp and i love the marshall tone so im pretty much set on that..unless ther is something else. but im trying to decide between a jcm 800, jcm 900, jcm 2000 dsl, jcm 2000 tsl.

i play everything from zeppelin-mastodon.

my budget is from 600$ to the lower thousands.

i am definitely willing to go used.

i currently have a peavey bandit, epiphone sg special 2, epiphone les paul custom. and some pedals.

as for my skill level, im definitely not a beginner, but im not amazing. i'd say im a pretty good player.

any suggestions?
You should try a JCM800. Great amp! And you can play anything with it. Pop, Rock, Metal, Grunge. You name it.
Quote by Guitar_Jester
You should try a JCM800. Great amp! And you can play anything with it. Pop, Rock, Metal, Grunge. You name it.

+1
On playing the Paul Gilbert signature at the guitar store extensively, my missus sighed:
"Put it down now, It's like you love that guitar more than me!"
In Which I replied.
"Well it has got two F-Holes!"
Why Marshall?
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
just FYI: don't get a half stack unless you are gigging regularly. There is no point in having a 100 watt amp with the volume always on 1, isn't going to sound that good.
i want a marshall because i love how they sound, and plus im prety much moddeling my tone from jimmy page and brent hinds from mastodon, but tweaked to my liking a little more. but i'm open to suggestions...as i clearly stated. and i am going to be giging regularly. so yea.
Last edited by jimihendrix6699 at Jun 2, 2010,
Why not Marshall?...

The rep they have on these boards is silly.

I recommend a JCM 2000 DSL 50
Ibanez PGM301 signed by Paul Gilbert
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Saving for a GH100L/VH100R
Orange PPC212 2X12
yea a 2x12 is a definite possibility. and my main genre's are metal and blues stuff. im in a psycedelic/classic rock band, and an all out metal band. so yea.
Quote by sharpant
Why not Marshall?...

Because they are overpriced and not that good.
I've been disapointed by all current production Marshalls I've played or heard.
JCM 800 is pretty good though
Quote by Sguit

I agree with you there, that's one of the few 100watters I'd take.
But as the man said, no point in buying if ya ain't gigging.
Cranking 100 watts in a bedroom will only give you and your housemates sore ears.
and you gotta crank it!
On playing the Paul Gilbert signature at the guitar store extensively, my missus sighed:
"Put it down now, It's like you love that guitar more than me!"
In Which I replied.
"Well it has got two F-Holes!"
you could look at a used blackstar series one, they're similar to a marshall jcm but slightly more versatile
also on guitar center's website, they got a used section and have some pretty awesome deals. i know i couldn't try before i buy, but is it worth it to buy form there?
splaaaaaaaaaaaawn
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by sharpant
Why not Marshall?...

The rep they have on these boards is silly.

I recommend a JCM 2000 DSL 50

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a Marshall hater, but I don't see why he should limit his choice to Marshalls only.

EDIT: BTW, I agree with Marshall's rep being silly on these boards. Most of their amps really don't deserve all the hate.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Last edited by JesusCrisp at Jun 2, 2010,
I'd rather have a splawn?
Or a top hat...
Unless you're getting an original jcm800, jmp100, or bluesbreaker....
why marshall seriously...
why pay over 2000 for something made in china....
tell me whyyyyyyy
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
I had the chance to sit down the other day for like 3 hours in Long & Macquade and play like every modern marshall an well. I didn't really like any of them, especially for their new cost.

I liked the JCM2000 and the jvm somewhat., but the haze, ma100, vintage modern, and that piece of crap jmd100 were all were terrible.

If you go on the used market then yes they aren't so bad price wise. I never played a jcm800 though or a 900.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Quote by Sguit

They're underpriced and really good.

See how opinions stated like facts arn't very helpful?
I've never played the JCM800 but everyone says they are great and a lot of artists used them.

But my JCM2000 TSL602 has held up great and sounds surprisingly good at low volumes. Having the third channel is very nice also. Don't let everyone tell you the TSL (or DSL) serious just plain sucks, cause it doesn't. It's worth trying them out if you can find them somewhere.
Quote by Zoot Allures
They're underpriced and really good.

See how opinions stated like facts arn't very helpful?

Okay, the MG series is overpriced for what it is: a big practice amp. The build quality of the amp and cabinets is terrible.

The JCM800 Reissue pales in comparison to many of the good 800s on the used market, and costs too much.

The 1987x sounds great, but is way expensive when compared to other company's 18W clones.

The JCM2000 series makes for nice modern amps, but it doesn't have the modern voicing or gain for modern metal, whereas something at a comparable price, like the Splawn Quickrod or Nitro DOES, and even has a better 800 sound, as well.

Besides, isn't interpretation of tone a personal opinion? Don't split hairs here...
Last edited by forsaknazrael at Jun 2, 2010,
Quote by forsaknazrael
Okay, the MG series is overpriced for what it is: a big practice amp. The build quality of the amp and cabinets is terrible.

The JCM800 Reissue pales in comparison to many of the good 800s on the used market, and costs too much.

The 1987x sounds great, but is way expensive when compared to other company's 18W clones.

The JCM2000 series makes for nice modern amps, but it doesn't have the modern voicing or gain for modern metal, whereas something at a comparable price, like the Splawn Quickrod or Nitro DOES, and even has a better 800 sound, as well.

Comparable price? The Splawn's cost twice as much on the used market as a JCM2000.
Quote by KingJustinian25
Comparable price? The Splawn's cost twice as much on the used market as a JCM2000.

I see people ask for 1000 for their TSLs and DSLs all the time.

You can find a Splawn at around 1200-1300. When you get to bigger budgets, "comparable" becomes a bit relative.

Also I'd take a Splawn over a JVM for the same reasons.
Quote by KingJustinian25

But my JCM2000 TSL602 has held up great and sounds surprisingly good at low volumes. Having the third channel is very nice also. Don't let everyone tell you the TSL (or DSL) serious just plain sucks, cause it doesn't. It's worth trying them out if you can find them somewhere.

They don't suck, they are just not worth their price, in my opinion
I think you have better for your money.
For a while a was really set on buying a JCM2000 (did not in the end though) and I ran across these two videos where this guy plays a JCM800, then switches to the 2000 and back and forth so you can really hear the voicing differences. Both are set up to play through the same 1960A cab, and the amps are set up to sound as close as possible. I think they are very helpful videos.

Part 1 Fender Telecaster
Part 2 Gibson Nighthawk
Quote by CL/\SH

Quote by sanitarium1
...for the gigs im going to be playing its going to be 60% tone and 40% stage look, and I'd like the look of my rig to be able to back up its sound.

No.
No.
NO.
GOD DAMMIT NO.
get a carvin instead
v3's are amazing
Member of the Schecter Hellraisers
Gear:
Esp Ltd KH-603, Schecter c-1+ and Epiphone Les Pauls
Carvin amps, Sperzel Trim-Lok, Emg active pickups only, Tonepros bridges.
Quote by JayLacelle
just FYI: don't get a half stack unless you are gigging regularly. There is no point in having a 100 watt amp with the volume always on 1, isn't going to sound that good.

100w combos are totally not in the same boat.
Quote by sargasm
There are no genres in metal that end with "core."
^ ya but 100w combos are cheaper then the comparable head and cab so you might as well do that if you need 100 watts anyway.

Splawns are comparable price all day. A new splawn is only 1950 at the MOST. A new Marshall all valve that isn't a budget amp, in the US will run you at least that if not more.

I could pick up a used splawn half stack for 1500 right now if I wanted to.

The only people that could possibly think that the new marshals are omg awesome are those that have never played a real plexi, jcm800 or anything of that era. The new ones aren't bad. Just terribly overpriced, not good for the price, and flat out wrecked by a bazzillion other amps.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by forsaknazrael

Besides, isn't interpretation of tone a personal opinion? Don't split hairs here...

I thought the general consensus about metal here was that a lot of people use too much gain thinking they need more than they really do..? :S
Quote by forsaknazrael

Don't you mean 1974x?
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
thank you french bread, i appreciate it, everyone else just shut up if you're not going to help. and for the love of god i clearly stated twice now that IT DOESN'T HAVE TO BE A MARSHALL, i just like how they sound so i was planning on getting one, jesus christ.
Quote by jimihendrix6699
thank you french bread, i appreciate it, everyone else just shut up if you're not going to help. and for the love of god i clearly stated twice now that IT DOESN'T HAVE TO BE A MARSHALL, i just like how they sound so i was planning on getting one, jesus christ.

And our point was that there amps that do the iconic Marshall sound better than modern production Marshalls.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Woops, ya.

Zoot: eh, sometimes. But they still don't do modern metal all that well anyway.

All things said, I really regret the Canadian Marshall JCM800 2204 I missed out on.

I know where you can buy one in great condition.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
No problem. If it helps I ended up buying a Mesa F-50, so maybe you want to consider some type of Mesa. Though I will admit they don't sound "Marshally."

If you're really after the legendary Marshall tone then you should probably buy a Marshall. Not that other amps don't sound great, but if your after Marshall tone, then get a Marshall. However if you could say I really like (these bands) we could perhaps recommend amps that would do that style or tone.

EDIT: I think everyone is hung up on the fact that you said you're after the Marshall tone, and like I said... don't substitute.
Quote by CL/\SH

Quote by sanitarium1
...for the gigs im going to be playing its going to be 60% tone and 40% stage look, and I'd like the look of my rig to be able to back up its sound.

No.
No.
NO.
GOD DAMMIT NO.
Last edited by FrenchBread at Jun 2, 2010,
Quote by FrenchBread
No problem. If it helps I ended up buying a Mesa F-50, so maybe you want to consider some type of Mesa. Though I will admit they don't sound "Marshally."

If you're really after the legendary Marshall tone then you should probably buy a Marshall. Not that other amps don't sound great, but if your after Marshall tone, then get a Marshall. However if you could say I really like (these bands) we could perhaps recommend amps that would do that style or tone.

EDIT: I think everyone is hung up on the fact that you said you're after the Marshall tone, and like I said... don't substitute.

if he wants the "legendary" marshall tone, then he should get the amps that actually made the "legendary" tone.

that translates to, get a real vintage JMP or JTM45 or a Major or a JCM800. circuitry of the JCM2000 line is FAR too different from these amps mentioned. do you think it sounds the same if they have different circuitry? same with the JVM, vintage modern, all of them. they're NOT the same as what they claim to be. they don't sound the same. seriously... for the "legendary" tone, modern marshall amps don't cut it.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
^^ I said legendary, he did not. Didn't mean to put words in his mouth. He just said he loves the Marshall tone. Which could mean modern Marshall.
Quote by CL/\SH

Quote by sanitarium1

No.
No.
NO.
GOD DAMMIT NO.
Page 1 of 2