So one of my guitars (gibson SG classic) has a ton of shallow scratch marks on the back (from rubbing against a belt when I was playing). Is it possible to remove the scratches by buffing them out / sanding them?
Current Gear

Bogner Uberschall
Mesa Dual Rectifier (Old Version)
Orange Closed Back 2x12 Cab with V30's
PRS Custom 24 Top 10 with 57/08 pickups
Schecter Hellraiser
Breedlove Atlas AD20
A bunch of pedals
Quote by psychosylocibin
So one of my guitars (gibson SG classic) has a ton of shallow scratch marks on the back (from rubbing against a belt when I was playing). Is it possible to remove the scratches by buffing them out / sanding them?

You can't get out scratches without removing material (lacquer or whatever).

Buffing will remove P2000 grit scratches if you use the right compound, but I would think your scratches arent that fine.

If you can feel the scratches with your fingernail, they will need to be wet sanded, then buffed out.

Use some 1500 Grit paper, wet, wrapped around a flat block of foam or wood or a cork block.

Wet the surface and rub over the area in straight lines.

Do the whole back of the guitar.

Wipe it off as you go and check it out to see how you are doing.

Once it all looks nice and matt, with no scratches, use some Meguiars Scratch X 2.0, preferably with a motorised buffer but if not, with a cloth or foam pad and buff the crap out of it.
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!