Hey everyone I have come here to seek some help and advice so I hope I get something useful from this post. I consider myself a decent guitarist but as of late I have just run dry of ideas and I have been using the same techniques and scales for a while now. What I am trying to get at is I really want to expand my playing and take myself to a whole new fresh level but I honestly have no idea where to look or what to do. To listen to an example of my playing you can listen to my band www.myspace.com/handedtothethousands I have written most of the guitar work on those and many other songs. I know its not the best or everyone's favorite but I really want to get better with intense rhythms and grooves as well as piecing leads. I just want to take everything to the next level playing wise so if any of you could point me in the right direction I would really appreciate it thank you for your time!
what has helped me in this situation is dabbling into other types of music

Flamenco, classical and jazz actually help me out a bit. especially when working with different rhythms and harmonies (considering they are probably not genres you normally listen to it may take some discipline and focus to listen to them).

Also simply singing what you want to do helps too, I know for me when I sing it a bit my hands kinda just find a way to make it happen (after some trial and error of course)

also improvising and reworking already famous songs is good practice.

Satch, Vai, dream theater, tool, Tosin Abasi. are a few artist that I like to listen too.
Also Dethklok (seriously)

im unsure if this is what you were looking for but I hope it helps.