As much as I wanted to save up for Serato, I was looking around a not-quite-local craigslist page when I found an ad for a Dual Recto head that simply stopped working. My bet is power tubes. I need to know if: A) power tube failure can cause an amp to simply not work, and B) how I would check to see whether it is in fact power tubes. He says that the amp stopped working about 3 years after he got it which seems like a good sign. Thoughts?
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
a) No not really. Unless the power valves blowing took a fuse with it or something. It's more likely to be more complicated than that. Probably output transformer.
b) Put new ones in.
Quote by beckyjc
a) No not really. Unless the power valves blowing took a fuse with it or something. It's more likely to be more complicated than that. Probably output transformer.
b) Put new ones in.

+1 Its a tough call man. I'd say get as much info as you can about its performance before hand and all the symptoms leading up to, during, and following its failure. I can't imagine the guy didn't think to check fuses over the course of 3 years, but if that's the case you'd be a lucky guy to figure that out.

Just get all the info you can, and while you do just keep telling him how 'uncomfortable' you are with buying it without knowing what's wrong. That way he should drop the price even more than it already is.

Maybe offer to take it to a tech for a diagnosis provided he works with you on the price depending on what the problem is... So:

You pay $40 for a diagnosis and agree that if the resulting costs are:
$1-$199 - He gives it to you for x
$200-$399 - He gives it to you for y
$400-$800 - He gives it to you for z

That would be workable if you agree to it. It seems odd that in 3 years he's never thought to drop the $40 bucks and get it looked at.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Last edited by tubetime86 at Jun 2, 2010,
Quote by tubetime86
+1 Its a tough call man. I'd say get as much info as you can about its performance before hand and all the symptoms leading up to, during, and following its failure. I can't imagine the guy didn't think to check fuses over the course of 3 years, but if that's the case you'd be a lucky guy to figure that out.

Just get all the info you can, and while you do just keep telling him how 'uncomfortable' you are with buying it without knowing what's wrong. That way he should drop the price even more than it already is.

Maybe offer to take it to a tech for a diagnosis provided he works with you on the price depending on what the problem is... So:

That would be workable if you agree to it. It seems odd that in 3 years he's never thought to drop the $40 bucks and get it looked at.

Yes it does but that's exactly what the ad says - he's never taken it to a tech. Also, if the lights turn on but there's no sound, that's probably just a tube issue right?
Quote by dr_shred

Quote by littlephil

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
my road king v2 had a PREAMP tube problem that caused it to act "dead" after about 2 weeks of owning it, i had spares lying around so i switched out the culprit and it worked PERFECTLY since…

i'd have it diagnosed of course like others suggest, but you MAY be sitting on a gold mine
OK, now I just need to come up with another 300 bucks for retubing/inspection/actually buying the amp...
Quote by dr_shred

Quote by littlephil

Quote by Banjocal

Quote by tubetime86

I dunno, people can be pretty stupid.

I can't count the number of side jobs I've done where somebody has a device that's "acting up" and it's just the breaker has tripped.

Ah well, at least they pay me well for it.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by bubb_tubbs
I dunno, people can be pretty stupid.

I can't count the number of side jobs I've done where somebody has a device that's "acting up" and it's just the breaker has tripped.

Ah well, at least they pay me well for it.

^
+1

lmao
is the computer plugged in? have you switched it on? is your monitor turned on?
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by AcousticMirror
is the computer plugged in? have you switched it on? is your monitor turned on?

Turn it off then turn it on again after a minute.
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
Quote by beckyjc
Have you tried deleting system32?

Yeah, do that and then take out the hard drive and run a magnet over it.
Quote by dr_shred

Quote by littlephil

Quote by Banjocal