I wasn't sure where to throw this thread so I'm taking a chance in here.

Basically, i'm looking to see former students or just people with knowledge of what level of skill your expected to have when you first attend G.I.T.

I'm eligible for CAL grants and things of that sort for the spring semester of 2011 and would like to attend this school.

Perhaps maybe I could explain my current level of skill and then someone could tell me if it is sufficient.

I consider myself intermediate, I can:

-Jam/Solo in a given Key

-Construct M/m chords (triads/6th/7th/9th/11th) in a given key

-I can read staff notation

-To me, I like to "Rhythmically Shred" Rhythm-Wise on electric I tend to stick to funky minor chords like 7ths and Flat 9ths.

-On my "Melodic Side" I tend to look at myself as more of a "John Frusciante" type of player, using major/minor 7ths with a bass notes followed by a melodic little diddy with a emphasis on my vibrato bends most of the time. My bends usually hovers around a bend + vibrato.

-Also if it contributes at all, I can Ten-Finger Tap (Finger nubbing)

My main influence is funk most deff. however I always like my solos to fall more on the shredding side with some blues conclusions to add some emotion to them.

All of my friends and family think there is no doubt that I will be fine but i'd like insight for someone who has attended before or someone that could help put it in perspective.

Thanks.

EDIT: added more stuff, sorry for being vague.
Last edited by Funk Monk at Jun 2, 2010,
List more stuff and also post a video/recording of you playing. That helps a lot.
Quote by salgala2000
List more stuff and also post a video/recording of you playing. That helps a lot.

contrary to the 6 million dollar man, I "don't have the technology"

could you tell me what they are expecting?
I don't know. I know that people won't be able to tell how good you are by what your saying. Maybe list more stuff. Conceited is good. Your perception of intermediate could be totally different than someone elses
If you have a guitar, and instrument cable, a 1/4" to 1/8" jack adapter (probably costs about $2) and a copy of audacity (freeware) or equivalent, you can record yourself

That will enable people to make a proper assessment of your playing, and give you some constructive feedback on anything you might want to work on.
Quote by zhilla
If you have a guitar, and instrument cable, a 1/4" to 1/8" jack adapter (probably costs about $2) and a copy of audacity (freeware) or equivalent, you can record yourself

That will enable people to make a proper assessment of your playing, and give you some constructive feedback on anything you might want to work on.

Missing the adapter my friend, but when I have money at some point I deff. will do.

To be honest with you I know what I need to improve, I'm just not wanting to walk into G.I.T. surrounded by a whole bunch of Eddie Van Halens.

I mean you go to a school to LEARN, so i'm assuming they don't want you to be perfect, or they would require auditions like Berklee.

I will record something A.S.A.P.
Have you spoken to the school? If not, ring them and just ask what level they expect you to be at when you start, and what range of ability levels they usual get across the first years.
Quote by zhilla
Have you spoken to the school? If not, ring them and just ask what level they expect you to be at when you start, and what range of ability levels they usual get across the first years.

I have spoken to them about financial aid, but you just brought up a very, very good idea.

Thanks!
Hey UG,

Sorry for a double post, I'd just like to give you a quick update, and maybe this will help you pursue your music dreams!

The Requirements for M.I.(G.I.T. Specifically)

-H.S. Diploma

-SAT Scores

-250-word Essay

-Knowledge of Scales and Modes

-Ear Training

F****ing Sweet Eh? Wish me Luck!
You can 10 finger tap? Where'd you get the extra two fingers from?
Quote by Nexium
For a 10'er you certainly have found a good avatar.
im currently enrolled in GIT and ear training is not required whatsoever to attend, and as for scales if you just play a few scales and some arpeggios(not sweeps), just make a good audition tape, orginal songs will score you major points(unless they are god awful songs) basically do your best on the audition tape and hopefully you get in, it honestly depends on what the instructors think you can amount to. best of luck man
your a wreck, an accident, forget the freak your just nature, keep the gun oiled and the temple clean, shit snort and blaspheme, let the heads cool and the engine run, because in the end everything we do is just everything we've done.
-corey taylor
Quote by Seyda
You can 10 finger tap? Where'd you get the extra two fingers from?

i think he's on about thumbs, and finger nubbing.
Quote by uk.mace
This man is smart.

Quote by guitar-guy69
you spelt colors wrong

Tweet me bro.
Quote by blankoff
i think he's on about thumbs, and finger nubbing.

This

You can technically 8 finger tap, my bad. But I do use my thumbs in unison.
Quote by Jman09
im currently enrolled in GIT and ear training is not required whatsoever to attend, and as for scales if you just play a few scales and some arpeggios(not sweeps), just make a good audition tape, orginal songs will score you major points(unless they are god awful songs) basically do your best on the audition tape and hopefully you get in, it honestly depends on what the instructors think you can amount to. best of luck man

Thanks man I really appreciate it.

The counselor said this was needed, but maybe she was just testing me.

Either way I do have ear training, I can tell you a certain interval and if a chord is Maj., Min., Aug., Dim., or Sus4.

With the scales, I usually take a certain key and practices every scale and every position of that key. For example today is E major.

I wasn't aware of an audition because she did not mention it, but I have a flamenco song I have been working on that should do the trick.
Quote by Funk Monk
Missing the adapter my friend, but when I have money at some point I deff. will do.

To be honest with you I know what I need to improve, I'm just not wanting to walk into G.I.T. surrounded by a whole bunch of Eddie Van Halens.

I mean you go to a school to LEARN, so i'm assuming they don't want you to be perfect, or they would require auditions like Berklee.

I will record something A.S.A.P.

just because they want to hear an audition, doesn't mean they want you to be perfect, unless you're talking julliard or the like. when they ask for an audition, they want to see your technique and hear how you sound; they want to see your potential. they so do not expect perfection from a student coming in
Quote by Funk Monk
Thanks man I really appreciate it.

The counselor said this was needed, but maybe she was just testing me.

Either way I do have ear training, I can tell you a certain interval and if a chord is Maj., Min., Aug., Dim., or Sus4.

With the scales, I usually take a certain key and practices every scale and every position of that key. For example today is E major.

I wasn't aware of an audition because she did not mention it, but I have a flamenco song I have been working on that should do the trick.

sure dude, i was required to play three songs, keep rythm with a metrenome for a minute, play all the scales and arpeggios i knew, and submit an essay about why i wanted to attend MI. thats to get into the associates program, i have no idea what the other programs require.
best of luck, this school is the best in the world man you will learn so much its ridiculous
if you got any questions about the actual school hit me up dude id be happy to answer as for the whole admissions process all i can tell you is what i had to do.
your a wreck, an accident, forget the freak your just nature, keep the gun oiled and the temple clean, shit snort and blaspheme, let the heads cool and the engine run, because in the end everything we do is just everything we've done.
-corey taylor
I am starting GIT this fall, and it seems like they didn't expect much out of the associates students. 90% of students are tested into level 1 classes. In those classes you learn pretty much the basics of guitar. The possible classes you can test out in are as follows:

Single String/Improvisation
Rhythm Guitar
Rhythm Section Workshop
Music Reading
Harmony & Theory
Ear Training

Basically, if you are in the 90%, you will take beginner versions of these classes. However, if you already know your CAGED patters perhaps, you could test out of level 1 and be placed in a higher level. If you know your chord voicings and how to read rhythm on a staff, you'll probably test out of Rhythm Guitar and Rhythm Section Workshop. The same goes for the other 4 core classes
I'm sorry as I have skipped through this thread and not read much about it. You seem avid about wanting to pursue a career in music and go to MI to fulfill that aspiration. Please, please, please go here --> http://www.studentsreview.com/CA/MI.html and read the reviews. It made me change my mind because these are actual alumni, and you can do searching around on the net too. You can honestly learn more with hard work and dedication from websites such as UG or guitarmasterclass.net etc, than you can at MI. I wish you luck in your endeavors, remember to always have fun!
I go to MI right now, and it's honestly a great place. It's more than just a school. You meet people there and make connections that you will keep for a long time.