Page 1 of 2
From A Clockwork Orange to Alice and Wonderland anything wriiten by Chuck Palahniuk, what are some strange books. Right now I'm reading Snuff by Chuck Palahniuk.
AK-47. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherfucker in the room, accept no substitutes.

Quote by RU Experienced?
It's comical because you are clearly an average to below-average bear.
Finnigan's Wake by James Joyce. Joyce basically made up a language structure that made no sense, and is thus left open to the reader's interpretation.
Like punk the way it used to be? Deranged Youth Its like what Warped Tour should be!

Want to hear something mind-blowing? Pit O' Bodies Its like an amateur hypnotist plus the Spanish Inquisition!
slaughterhouse 5
Survivor of:
Maryland Deathfest X
Maryland Deathfest XI
Maryland Deathfest XII
Haunted by Palahniuk takes the weirdness trophy of what I have read. Some of those stories...
I read this book once about some kid who goes to some bullshit magic school. His bitch friend was always calling out the answers and then his other friend was just a loser. That book sure sucked. I'm glad it never got popular.
........................,;:/|Simply~~Strings|\:;,......................
Quote by JustRooster
I love you forever.

Quote by KeepOnRotting
That Rick Roll was extremely well played.
Quote by Doctor Matthews
Rant > Snuff in terms of fucked-upness.

Rant was way more ****ed up but Snuff is just so gross like a weird ****ed up Senfield episode lol.
AK-47. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherfucker in the room, accept no substitutes.

Quote by RU Experienced?
Quote by rushpython
slaughterhouse 5

What's weird about 1984

Kurt Vonnegut - Sirens of Titan. Weird and awesome.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

There's that one where as the book progresses, the author takes letters out, and by the end, it's only like different letters of gibberish
Quote by sadSTATUE
Uhmmm... Well, apparently I was mentioned in a thread called "Japan and Lesbians."

Quote by Unknown_Biskit
Try typing "potatoes" with your dick then submit it.

My cover of Manchester Orchestra's "I Can Feel Your Pain"
http://www.mediafire.com/?jfvt54j4mkiiq99
Quote by Ghost of Sparta
Stephen King

/Thread

Not even close. Good writer, but nowhere near as weird or fucked up as some of the stuff out there.
Yeah if King was really that weird, he wouldn't sell.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Lolita.

What makes it more F'ed up is how beautifully it is written. Somehow the quality of writing makes the story even more disturbing than it is just in terms of plot.

Less than Zero is somewhat messed up as well.
Last edited by jfreyvogel at Jun 2, 2010,
Irvine Welsh's style is pretty similar to Pahlaniuk's, just more Scottish. Ecstacy: 3 Tales of Chemical Romance is a very ****ed up book. Very good, too.
So is "Filth." A tapeworm narrates parts of the story.

Oh yeah, and Less Than Zero by Bret Easton Ellis, but that's just horrible. I hate that book. But not because it's bad.
Last edited by Declan87 at Jun 2, 2010,
Quote by Tarsplitter
Twilight.

This, although the thing that makes it weird is how a story about a psycho stalker and a girl without emotions became so popular

I read it from cover to cover and i regret ever doing it.
HAHA, no seriously. What DO you use a signature for?
The Sound and the Fury, William Faulkner. Good luck understanding it on the first read. Never do him as your advanced higher dissertation
Quote by mynamesedson
I asked my son he said nothing but he just asked me he wants a psyachatrist (spelling?) Because he heard voices calling out his name. What a freak.

Control your life through insanity.

Igneuspentheism
Palahniuks new book is going be ****ed up but awesome as hell. Its like The Lovely Bones but the girl is in hell instead and wondering why she's there.

Quote by RU Experienced?
American Psycho - Brett Easton Ellis

A good read.
- - - - - - - -
When I think of the perpetual journey through life
When it always feels like autumn
The wind moves slowly to the north
And the flowers die
Rain falls in my dreams

- - - - - - - -
I am currently reading American Psycho. I should just about finish tonight. Very disturbing book that has filled my head with thoughts of homicide. I will watch the movie after I am done.

Quote by jfreyvogel
Less than Zero is somewhat messed up as well.

Would you say it's better than American Psycho?
Quote by neidnarb11890
Franz Kafka - Collected Stories

This man knows the truth.
Seamonkey has my money!

Quote by shattamakar
My dog came into my room while I was fapping.
I couldn't look Wolfie in the eye for a week.
So, can anyone actually recommend any of these books? I'm intrigued by some of them but are there any that really stand out as worth reading?

I mean, is something like Finnigan's Wake even readable if the author is messing around with language? I'd love to read it if it makes sense...
Quote by 6StringSlaughtr
So, can anyone actually recommend any of these books? I'm intrigued by some of them but are there any that really stand out as worth reading?

Most of the books mentioned in this thread are worth reading.
I'm actually reading Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass right now. For some reason I actually find the book to be incredibly hilarious, though the movies barely made me laugh at all.
House of Leaves-Starts out understandable enough but the book turns into a total mind**** by the end, there really aren't any good explanations to how everything fits together in it leading to a lot of really wierd theories created by readers. Its really enjoyable just don't expect everything to make sense.
Last edited by metalfan986 at Jun 2, 2010,
Quote by 6StringSlaughtr

I mean, is something like Finnigan's Wake even readable if the author is messing around with language? I'd love to read it if it makes sense...

It makes half-sense if that makes sense. There is no specific plot or character development, but dedicated readers have etched out a general idea of what is going on. No, its not really readable for the layman. If you are going to read it, you should get The Skeleton Key to Finnegan's Wake by Joseph Cambell, who I should also note has written some very weird but interesting books on mythology.

Definitely check out Kafka though, he is a classic. You could start with The Metamophosis.
Quote by cornmancer
Damn you TS, whenever I think weird books my immediate response is Clockwork Orange and Alice In Wonderland. I've never read this Chuck fellow though, may have to put him on my list.

He's the guy who wrote Fight Club.
Quote by Holy Katana
He's the guy who wrote Fight Club.

Which I've yet to read or watch. Another thing on my list, but it has been for a while now.
Quote by 6StringSlaughtr

People have mentioned Vonnegut, and if you don't think that's worth reading you're a dumbass.
Last edited by cornmancer at Jun 2, 2010,
Quote by CicatrizESP
I am currently reading American Psycho. I should just about finish tonight. Very disturbing book that has filled my head with thoughts of homicide. I will watch the movie after I am done.

Would you say it's better than American Psycho?
The killings in the book were so out there. Really good book though.
frog_friend and WGP: UG's Kramer brotherhood

Ug's 4th ENGL endorser
Randy Rhoads is god
founder of the "ENGL amps" fanclub. PM me to join
Quote by 6StringSlaughtr

I recommend Gravity's Rainbow. It's not exactly an easy read either, but it's easier than Finnegans Wake (there actually isn't an apostrophe in the title). I read the first chapter of the Wake online and decided I'd wait until I'm a graduate student to read the rest.
House of Leaves by Mark Danielewski

it induces paranoia, claustrophobia, fear, and all sorts of weird emotions
it's a pretty challening read too.
Quote by ChucklesMginty
If at first you don't succeed, play bass.

Quote by Jackal58
Cats don't think. They plot.

Catch me on FLICKR
Proud owner of a beautiful PRS P22
trainspotting, parts of it are written in scottish slang which can make it extremely hard to understand

catch 22, sometimes its hard to keep track of the conversation because of the way the dialogue flows
It's always the last day of summer and I've been left out in the cold with no door to get back in
Page 1 of 2