I'm looking for a nice high gain amp for less than $1000. I really like the idea of getting a mesa f50. I play hard rock and metal but also blues and I really want that mesa type gain that can just sing on leads like petrucci's tone and great cleans and the mesa f50 seems like the right choice. I found one for 640 on guitar center's used website. I've looked a tons of amps and need further help. Is the f50 a good choice for an affordable but quality amp? I want great tone, right now i play a 75 watt line 6 spider 3. It's decent but not great and the mesa is right up my alley. Good idea? Or should I look elsewhere? Thanks!
6505 has terrible cleans
pro tools operator certified
agile in-ceptor 727
gibson:les-paul studio
fender:strat
ibanez:prestiege s2170se s520ex
esp:ec-1000vb
splawn nitro kt88s
genz-bends g-flex

Quote by Punkismygod
U sure u want a floydrose? those things will make your nerves explode
if you set the crunch channel for a clean setting on the6505+ its not bad its actually really good you just have to play.
Guitars
Prs Custom 24
Fender Jaguar
Gibson Les paul standard dc
Ibanez as71

Amps
Peavey xxx
Crate v-32h/cab

Effects
Dimebag wah
carbon copy
evh phase
blackstart ht-duel
holy grail plus
electric mistress stereo
dd-20
Peavey JSX? find one easy for that price.
Gear
Peavey Vypyr 15
Peavey Windsor head

Custom Ibanez RG
ESP EC-1000
I've heard good things about the tone of bugera's but numerous things about their poor reliability. Some people say they're built just cheaply and put together with little care so I've sort of disregarded bugera as a choice.
What about a Randall Warhead? These amps are great, if you can find one for a good price.
There also is some Peavey tube type modeling amps, like a Peavey Vypyr tube 60.
Quote by hellraiser11
I've heard good things about the tone of bugera's but numerous things about their poor reliability. Some people say they're built just cheaply and put together with little care so I've sort of disregarded bugera as a choice.

Read this post. Long story short, Bugera's quality is on par with most other amp makers.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
ok well thats awesome...which bugera is the best for high gain though? Adn what should I pay for that amp?
Bugera 333xl
goes for about $600
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Quote by justinb904
Read this post. Long story short, Bugera's quality is on par with most other amp makers.

most other made in china guitar center big box amp makers.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
I've been looking at a peavy xxx too and I found one used for 500 which is an amazing deal. But an xxx combo is nice right?
the bandwagoning going on in this thread kinda sickens me.
6505s are the best for everything; i've heard bugeras sound good but are made cheaply;etc

to TS. i very much agree with your f series choice. just be conscious of the wattages, as they tubes change. some run on el84s (the 30 watt i think?) and the 50 watt moves to 6l6. someone please correct me if i'm wrong, i'm just pointing out the difference in tone that you can expect for 84s, as opposed to 6l6. i'd say go with the 6l6s if you want the petrucci sound. i have a couple friends with f series amps, they all love them.
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Fender Spalted Maple HH Tele
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV Combo
Mesa/Boogie Rectifier 212

www.myspace.com/shapesofgrey
I love the idea of the f50 but I've heard it's not the best amp for high gain and metal. and a peavey xxx is less expensive and better for high gain apparently, although not as good on cleans.
Quote by wyldeshredder
i very much agree with your f series choice. just be conscious of the wattages, as they tubes change. some run on el84s (the 30 watt i think?) and the 50 watt moves to 6l6. someone please correct me if i'm wrong, i'm just pointing out the difference in tone that you can expect for 84s, as opposed to 6l6. i'd say go with the 6l6s if you want the petrucci sound. i have a couple friends with f series amps, they all love them.

Yup that's correct. The 50 watt has different tubes (6l6s) to the 30 watt (el84s). TS, if you're looking for high gain then it's best to go to for the 50 watt version.

High gain is achievable (and pretty awesome in my opinion ) but if you're looking for truck load like for death metal and such, it best probably to get a overdrive pedal to boost it up.
If you do go the Mesa route, also look for a .50+ (50 Caliber Plus)/DC50, IMO they're a little better suited to what you want than the F series.