Page 1 of 2
What kind of pickup would suit metal greatly, but the pickups are not active? I am looking right now a SD Invader pair, both for bridge and neck, but what kind of other bridge/neck pairs are better? Thanks.
Ibanez IJX121
Bareknuckle Holy Diver or something of the like

VV DO NOT LISTEN TO HIM
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Last edited by Bostonrocks at Jun 2, 2010,
Bareknuckle Painkiller plz.

That or a Motor City Nuke, BG Hellarail or a Duncan El Diablo.

Quote by LastAuramancer
emg hz

Worst passive I've ever used.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Nobody can give good advise without knowing what amp you are using. Also, there are a lot of types of metal. What are some specific sub genres? or some groups you like?
Quote by CorduroyEW
Nobody can give good advise without knowing what amp you are using. Also, there are a lot of types of metal. What are some specific sub genres? or some groups you like?

jolly good day to you chap. What's the lead time on a pair of your most brutal pickups.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Dimarzio has a good selection of high output pickups to chose from. The only ones I'd stay away from are the X2N's cause they can get muddy.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Depending on what you are looking for.

Bare Knuckle Miracle Man for extreme tightness or Bare Knuckle Warpig for massive output, thick clear lows and warm mids.
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Fryette Sig: X
Randall RM4 /w Modded modules
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
Quote by AcousticMirror
jolly good day to you chap. What's the lead time on a pair of your most brutal pickups.

'bout 2 weeks at the moment. But my most brutal pickups are too much for most people, even if they play metal Always gotta see what amp they got so I can be sure the pickups don't blow it up... Of course they have to sound good too. What sounds good on a vintage marshal doesn't always sound good on a modern Marshall. What sounds good on a Line 6 spider valve doesn't sound good on a blackface fender. You gotta know what they have to know what to recommend.
Last edited by CorduroyEW at Jun 2, 2010,
Quote by CorduroyEW

I use a peavey vypyr 100w
Ibanez IJX121
Then I wouldn't get too focused on the highest output pickups. Stick around 14K resistance with alnico 5 or ceramic depending on the type of metal you play and how "thick" you want your tone compared to how cutting you want your tone. Alnico is gonna be thicker and have more harmonics. Ceramic is going to be brighter and more cutting and the bass is going to be lower and have more chug. To focuse a recommendation more we still need more info about your playing style
Quote by CorduroyEW
'bout 2 weeks at the moment. But my most brutal pickups are too much for most people, even if they play metal Always gotta see what amp they got so I can be sure the pickups don't blow it up... Of course they have to sound good too. What sounds good on a vintage marshal doesn't always sound good on a modern Marshall. What sounds good on a Line 6 spider valve doesn't sound good on a blackface fender. You gotta know what they have to know what to recommend.

baritone tuned in A ->caa od100se+
Quote by CorduroyEW
Then I wouldn't get too focused on the highest output pickups. Stick around 14K resistance with alnico 5 or ceramic depending on the type of metal you play and how "thick" you want your tone compared to how cutting you want your tone. Alnico is gonna be thicker and have more harmonics. Ceramic is going to be brighter and more cutting and the bass is going to be lower and have more chug. To focuse a recommendation more we still need more info about your playing style

I am a shredder (former punk rocker) who favors hard rock, metalcore tones, and tones like avenged sevenfold and bullet for my valentine. I like tones like those.
Ibanez IJX121
Go with the Invaders, they're the best sounding passive metal pickups IMO. Syn uses them in his guitars, & if you buy his Schecter Signature series guitar, it comes with them... I'll be replacing my stock Duncan Bridge pickup in my C-1 Classic with an Invader Bridge pickup by the end of the year.
Quote by chaosdsm
Go with the Invaders, they're the best sounding passive metal pickups IMO. Syn uses them in his guitars, & if you buy his Schecter Signature series guitar, it comes with them... I'll be replacing my stock Duncan Bridge pickup in my C-1 Classic with an Invader Bridge pickup by the end of the year.

No offense man, but Invaders sound horrible.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
haha best sounding...haha...
better throw away my warpigs and nailbombs then
Invaders are already dark and muddy, wouldn't they be even more so on a baritone tuned to A. That just seems like it would sound like sludge to me.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Last edited by VanTheKraut at Jun 2, 2010,
Quote by chaosdsm

Don't do it, the JB rapes the Invader, even in metal.

Even on A7X's studio albums the Invader sounds like ass. Bareknuckle's are some of the best pickups i've heard and they're all passive. The have a good range but my preference would lean towards the Warpig or Nailbomb.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
Quote by AcousticMirror
haha best sounding...haha...
better throw away my warpigs and nailbombs then

lol n00b. handmade pups are worthless.

TS: Look into Painkillers, Nailbombs, or get Corduroy to make you a set. Or Wolftone, or BG, or maybe even Frailin... I'm sure he could do you up a custom set.

But going into a Vypyr... it won't really make that much of a difference, I wouldn't think.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Seems like everyone has a different definition of "best".
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Well im in the market as well, I play through a Mesa Triple boosted through a Orange cab. I play mostly deathcore stuff. I like really tight lows, punchy with smooth lead tones. im kinda digging periphery's tone.
-Gear-
Mesa Triple Rectifier---Bogner/Line6 SpiderValve---Orange PPC 4x12

-Pedalboard/Rackmount-
Alesis MidiVerb4--BBE SonicMaximizer 442--Ibanez TS9
Boss DD-3--Morley Mark Tremonti Wah

-Guitars-
Ibanez ART-100
Ibanez S-470
Quote by MatrixClaw
Bareknuckle Painkiller plz.

That or a Motor City Nuke, BG Hellarail or a Duncan El Diablo.

Worst passive I've ever used.

Which HZ was it, as mine blows the actives out of the water.

If you use a gain boost with the HZ you can boost more than the actives will, and still keep passive characteristics.
Gear
Jackson RR24M - EMG ALX w/ ABQ installed
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Ibanex RG - Tone Zone(bridge), PAF Pro(neck)
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
Quote by srob7001
Which HZ was it, as mine blows the actives out of the water.

If you use a gain boost with the HZ you can boost more than the actives will, and still keep passive characteristics.

still don't hold a candle to warpigs. warpigs sound better then actives.
Quote by justinb904
Dimarzio has a good selection of high output pickups to chose from. The only ones I'd stay away from are the X2N's cause they can get muddy.

DiMarzio Evolution and Evo 2 are both excellent pups. Go with Evo2 if you want the lesser output of the two.
Current Gear:
Ibanez RG1570bk Prestige with Evo Pickups
Fender American Standard 2012 Telecaster
Fender Mustang
Quote by AcousticMirror
still don't hold a candle to warpigs. warpigs sound better then actives.

Yea...those don't exist here in the US.

Never seen any shop or person with those to even get an in person sound test.
Gear
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
ive been lookin for an american equivelent to BKP. anyone know of anything?

OT: to each his own. i had an invader, liked it at first...until i actually developed an ear. the only pick up that i have bought and like was a Duncan Jazz. obviously not what you are looking for. hell id listen to that courdury dude. with that knowledge he just threw at you (14k resistance or less, alnico w/ blah blah blah) he obvoiusly knows what the **** he is talkin about. you should decribe what you dont like out of your current set up, what your current set up is (guitar, amp, pedals) and what you want out of a new pick up. not "which one is the best" cuz thats obviously an opinion. lets hear some facts, and maybe someone can help you out.
Yup.

Which bkp are you thinking?

High output...
Manliusguitar.com
guitarforce.com
bgbucker.com

that's all the one's I've tried.

also - no experience with these.

WCRpickups.com
motorcitypickups
wbpickups

rockmonkey will ship to the us as well. but don't buy from him until he agrees to make me the meanest pickup in the world.

Quote by srob7001
Yea...those don't exist here in the US.

Never seen any shop or person with those to even get an in person sound test.

mine must be a lie then. I'll be sure to let them know.
Quote by AcousticMirror

mine must be a lie then. I'll be sure to let them know.

I mean I'm sure they exist somewhere in the US, but I have yet to ever run across any and I hit up all the local shops at least once a month.
Gear
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
axepalace guitarasylum and luxxtone
they don't have a lot of dealers in the US. Which coast are you on.
Quote by srob7001
I mean I'm sure they exist somewhere in the US, but I have yet to ever run across any and I hit up all the local shops at least once a month.

I gotta be honest... I'm on the west coast of USA, and I've never heard of em either, and i'm usually with a handful of musicians... None of them have ever mentioned them, unless they told me when I was flat out hammered..
Current Gear:
Ibanez RG1570bk Prestige with Evo Pickups
Fender American Standard 2012 Telecaster
Fender Mustang
Quote by AcousticMirror
axepalace guitarasylum and luxxtone
they don't have a lot of dealers in the US. Which coast are you on.

I live in Orlando FL (East Coast), which is a pretty large city with many music shops.

I've been reading about BK PU's for over a year now, never seen them anywhere. Recently I noticed they have ads in Guitar World, so maybe they are still growing and will be more available soon.

I just can't spend the money they want without actually trying one out first.

I love the Nailbomb I saw in a mag...it was all camo colored. It was pretty bad ass looking.
Gear
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
I've been thinking about whacking a set of the Mick Thompson Seymour Duncan actives in my Ibanez MTM2 (yeah, OK, I'm a fan-boi) and have heard a lot of good things about the BareKnuckles. Anyone got any advice on which of the BareKnuckles would beat the Seymour Duncans?

I'm looking to play Insomnium/Omnium Gatherum/Arch Enemy melodic metal stuff (eventually)

Currently I have a Marshall JCM900 1x12 and I'm getting a custom built OD808 pedal soon

Eventually the plan is an Engl Powerball II - but that is going to take some saving.
Ibanez MTM2, Bugera 6262 2x12 Combo
Quote by srob7001
I live in Orlando FL (East Coast), which is a pretty large city with many music shops.

I've been reading about BK PU's for over a year now, never seen them anywhere. Recently I noticed they have ads in Guitar World, so maybe they are still growing and will be more available soon.

I just can't spend the money they want without actually trying one out first.

I love the Nailbomb I saw in a mag...it was all camo colored. It was pretty bad ass looking.

Honestly, it's quite hard to find someone who wasn't happy with their BKP.

In any case they have a return policy if you really end up not liking it.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by FlyingPooooo
Well im in the market as well, I play through a Mesa Triple boosted through a Orange cab. I play mostly deathcore stuff. I like really tight lows, punchy with smooth lead tones. im kinda digging periphery's tone.

The Recto isn't going to help your likeness to tight low end, but I happen to know that Bulb *loves* Bareknuckles. Give Tim at BKP an email and he'll point you in the right direction.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Bare Knuckle NailBomb IMO.

Check out the band SikTh and you'll know why.
Carvin V3 - Matamp 4x12 - VHT Valvulator - Maxon OD808 - Visual Volume Pedal

EH Cathedral - Ibanez DE7
Quote by adjman
I've been thinking about whacking a set of the Mick Thompson Seymour Duncan actives in my Ibanez MTM2 (yeah, OK, I'm a fan-boi) and have heard a lot of good things about the BareKnuckles. Anyone got any advice on which of the BareKnuckles would beat the Seymour Duncans?

I'm looking to play Insomnium/Omnium Gatherum/Arch Enemy melodic metal stuff (eventually)

Currently I have a Marshall JCM900 1x12 and I'm getting a custom built OD808 pedal soon

Eventually the plan is an Engl Powerball II - but that is going to take some saving.

Tim @ Bareknuckle reccomends the Painkiller for my Ibanez to get a similar tone to the Seymour Duncan Blackouts - he emailed me in about 10 minutes, awesome customer service!
Ibanez MTM2, Bugera 6262 2x12 Combo
Quote by Yngwi3
The Recto isn't going to help your likeness to tight low end, but I happen to know that Bulb *loves* Bareknuckles. Give Tim at BKP an email and he'll point you in the right direction.

I agree, im purchasing a MXR Compressor and then a new set of pickups to try to balance it out.
-Gear-
Mesa Triple Rectifier---Bogner/Line6 SpiderValve---Orange PPC 4x12

-Pedalboard/Rackmount-
Alesis MidiVerb4--BBE SonicMaximizer 442--Ibanez TS9
Boss DD-3--Morley Mark Tremonti Wah

-Guitars-
Ibanez ART-100
Ibanez S-470
Quote by ragingkitty
Honestly, it's quite hard to find someone who wasn't happy with their BKP.

In any case they have a return policy if you really end up not liking it.

I know they have a return policy, but are they not in the UK?

Thats some shipping I don't really want to pay for if I ended up not liking them.

Plus cost. I mean they are what 100 pounds (i think that is what your money is called in UK) which is like 145.00 or so US dollars

I mean thats a significant amount to pay for 1 PU. To me it would have to be miles better than a more common brand of PU that would be half the cost of a BKP.

I mean what makes them worth that amount? Why are these SOOO much better than say DiMarzio, EMG, SD, who have been around for decades and really have there shit together when it comes to PU's a t afraction of the cost...and available everywhere.
Gear
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
Page 1 of 2