Hey,
i'm having a hard time picking an amp for GnR,

I could either get a Marshall Silver Jubilee 2554 (50w) combo with 1x12 V30 speaker or a JCM 800 2204 (50w) head + some cab ( probably 2x12)

As i said it's an amp mainly for GnR, i know slash used both jcm 800 and SJ ,

Which one should i go for ?

Also ill mostly use it at home
Thanks
Jubilee.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
well if you want his tone, marshall is coming out with a appetite for destruction head, i'm guessing its that since slash has a pic with it and it's called the afd100. This will probably be his amp of choice for now on as well.
Get the Jube. much more "brown"
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Well thing is that the 2554 is a combo - 1x12 v30 where if i get the jcm 800 2204 ill have 2x12 v30 probably.

Also i'm not really charmed from the youtube vids of the combo version.
top hat

to wear.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
It's just that i don't like combos either.
If i get the SJ i use 1x12 , otherwise probably 2x12 cab.
Probably going to go for the jubilee

Wouldn't the JCM 800 2204 + 2x12 cab sound much better than the jubilee with its 1x12 ?

Price on the 2554 combo is around 1100$ , price on the JCM 800 2204 head is around 800 $
What should i do?
Last edited by WildxxChild at Jun 2, 2010,
Honestly, they both do GnR well. The 2204 will be a bit smoother than the 2554, which will be more aggressive and compressed overdrive from the diodes.

In my opinion, what it really comes down to is whether you want to have a footswitchable clean channel or not.

If yes, the Jubilee.

If no, the 2204 because it's 95% of the sound for quite a bit less.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Footswitch doesn't matter , the SJ isn't a true 2 channel amp either anyways.

Bah still can't make up my mind and i have till the end of the week to decide. Its REALLY a great deal on the jubilee as i might later sell it for more than a bought it but it being a combo is making me not go for it.
Quote by WildxxChild
Footswitch doesn't matter , the SJ isn't a true 2 channel amp either anyways.

Bah still can't make up my mind and i have till the end of the week to decide. Its REALLY a great deal on the jubilee as i might later sell it for more than a bought it but it being a combo is making me not go for it.

You're right, because of the lack of a separate EQ for it, but it's still quite a nice clean tone.

As far as I'm aware Slash always had the Jubilee set to clean since he acquired it and used a separate amp for overdrive.

If you're planning on flipping the Jubilee, I can't see how it being a combo would affect your decision. You won't own it for very long.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by WildxxChild
Jcm 800 2204 cleans aren't nice ?

No, they're pretty damn awesome, but you have to be proficient at fiddling with the pickup selector or volume knob on the fly, or have some kind of footswitchable volume drop in your chain.

I happen to prefer single channel amps, but it's just a matter of personal taste.

Quote by bubb_tubbs
No, they're pretty damn awesome, but you have to be proficient at fiddling with the pickup selector or volume knob on the fly, or have some kind of footswitchable volume drop in your chain.

I happen to prefer single channel amps, but it's just a matter of personal taste.

me too...except there's an option to get an od100 modded to have 2 high gain channels that are voiced differently....erhm....yes please.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
^ Not sure. A Jubilee is just a modified channel-switching 800 circuit, though.

^ Not much.

Like I said, the main difference is that the Jubilee will have more gain and will generally be more compressed and aggressive sounding than the 2204 will.

Honestly you could play Sweet Child 'o Mine all day on either of them and you really couldn't tell the difference unless you directly A/Bed them back to back.