Hi I have a Squier Precision that plays and sounds ok, if a little naff. I have been offered a swap for a pretty old and good looking peavey patriot, what do you think I should do? Accept or decline? I like the feel of the peavey AND the Squier, maybe the peavey more, but I'd like all your opinions please. Cheers
I'd keep the squire and just mod the shit out of it

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
Any more info on the Peavey? Oh, and more on the Squier would be nice too.
I pride myself on my humility.
The Peavey is a proper old pretty beaten up but well playing bass with a single pickup, no obvious problems. The Squier is a 2004 model, big chunky neck and crappy pickup. I play thorugh a Kustom KBA30 but will soon be purchasing a Marshall keyboard amp that takes bass very well.
^ The Kustom will still sound better.

Stick to the Squier. They're goo investments; over time you can upgrade every single part until you're left with something better than a MIA Fender. That's without spending a huge lump of cash in one go. That's what I intend to do with my Squier VM Jazz.
^And that vm jazz is already better than some fenders!
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
OK thanks for the advice, but do you really think that the Kustom, which buzzes and rattles like hell, will sound better than the Marshall with a bass pre-amp being used? Just wanna clear that up before i drop £100 on it
Quote by 09phillt
OK thanks for the advice, but do you really think that the Kustom, which buzzes and rattles like hell, will sound better than the Marshall with a bass pre-amp being used? Just wanna clear that up before i drop £100 on it

I use a keyboard amp sometimes, and it dosent sound too bad. Its a behringer, though, so Id imagine the Marshall would sound a lot better.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
Quote by 09phillt

I didn't know about the buzzing and the rattling. But in my experience Kustom's practice amps sound brilliant and the keyboard amps I've used have sounded assy.
OK then, but I assure you, if you use a pre-amp with this it sounds like a proper bass amp. Does anyone have any ideas on how to mod my P-bass to make it better?
Quote by 09phillt
OK then, but I assure you, if you use a pre-amp with this it sounds like a proper bass amp. Does anyone have any ideas on how to mod my P-bass to make it better?

In order of cost:

New strings (makes a world of difference).
New electronics. (not pickup).
Brass nut.
Gotoh 201 high mass bridge, then convert to string through (do NOT get a Leo Quan bridge).
New machine heads (important for Squiers.)
New pickup (Seymour Duncan Quarter pounder is the common choice, I prefer EMG).
MIA Neck (will cost a ****tonne but by this time you'll have a 10/10 bass.)
Quote by Spaz91
In order of cost:

New strings (makes a world of difference).
New electronics. (not pickup).
Brass nut.
Gotoh 201 high mass bridge, then convert to string through (do NOT get a Leo Quan bridge).
New machine heads (important for Squiers.)
New pickup (Seymour Duncan Quarter pounder is the common choice, I prefer EMG).
MIA Neck (will cost a ****tonne but by this time you'll have a 10/10 bass.)

If he's gonna do this he might as well buy a used MIA Fender P.
I pride myself on my humility.
Quote by mtshark
If he's gonna do this he might as well buy a used MIA Fender P.

Every time I suggest modding up a Squier someone says that

Yeah it would be like a MIA P bass, if they came with upgraded electronics, hardware, pickups and you had to build the thing yourself.

(Warning, pretentious crap incoming.) No guitar or bass feels like its truly mine until I've taken it apart, fiddled with it and or replaced parts. Guitars are like women, you have to put something in to get something out of them (or alternatively, if you rent one remember to clean it first.)