Okay so I figured I´d find a band for the summer and possibly after and I did, but I´m getting kinda nervous. Mainly because I have never met the people (i found their ad online). It turned out that they are alot older than me, the oldest being 36 while I´m just 17. The youngest member is 28.

My question is what can i expect from this? I´m mainly doing it for the experience as their genre isn´t my favourite, i do of course enjoy their kind of music (indie rock). Will it be a good experience or bad? Many on this forum claim to have trouble with their bands, but that is because those bands are around my age, not "old guys", so maybe this band is more serious?
I guess you guys can be like the next Grandaddy. lol

I personally wouldn't be that comfortable in a band with bandmates a lot older than I am. But I guess if you're looking for a great or different experience than I guess this would be a pretty good one; interacting and making music with people older than you and maybe a different mind set than you have.
But I wouldn't really know because the only kind of band I've been in or am in, is a joke one with my cousin, who's only 2 years old than me, so we both kind of think alike and love the same music.

But as I said, if you're looking for a different experience, I guess you should stick with it. You should talk more with the guys of the band to see if they're more 'serious' or more chill and laid back.
Quote by Even Sol
Okay so I figured I´d find a band for the summer and possibly after and I did, but I´m getting kinda nervous. Mainly because I have never met the people (i found their ad online). It turned out that they are alot older than me, the oldest being 36 while I´m just 17. The youngest member is 28.

My question is what can i expect from this? I´m mainly doing it for the experience as their genre isn´t my favourite, i do of course enjoy their kind of music (indie rock). Will it be a good experience or bad? Many on this forum claim to have trouble with their bands, but that is because those bands are around my age, not "old guys", so maybe this band is more serious?
Please tell me you're joking. You've never met these people and you think that someone who has absolutely no information can predict how things will go?

The only information you've given is their age, relative to yours. Do you think all people of a given age think or act a certain way or have the same work ethics and talent?

Silly thread is silly.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
You'll never know until you try it out. So go to the audition, be yourself and see how you get along/how it goes.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Please tell me you're joking. You've never met these people and you think that someone who has absolutely no information can predict how things will go?

The only information you've given is their age, relative to yours. Do you think all people of a given age think or act a certain way or have the same work ethics and talent?

Silly thread is silly.

I kinda looking for peoples opinion, experiences and thoughts. If i wanted and ACCURATE prediction I´d go to a fortune teller, really.
Quote by Even Sol
I kinda looking for peoples opinion, experiences and thoughts.
Experiences:
I've been in bands with only teens. Some worked well, some were dysfunctional.
I've been in bands with only older members. Some worked well, some were dysfunctional.
I've been in bands with members of radically different ages. Some worked well, some were dysfunctional.
Conclusion: There is no direct relationship between the ages of the members and whether a band functions well.

Opinion:
Silly thread is silly
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Experiences:
I've been in bands with only teens. Some worked well, some were dysfunctional.
I've been in bands with only older members. Some worked well, some were dysfunctional.
I've been in bands with members of radically different ages. Some worked well, some were dysfunctional.
Conclusion: There is no direct relationship between the ages of the members and whether a band functions well.

Opinion:
Silly thread is silly

+1

TS, you just have to try it and find out.
shred is gaudy music
I think you should go, at least to experience what it's like auditioning for a band.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
I think you should go, at least to experience what it's like auditioning for a band.
Aye.
And remember, there are two functions to an audition:

1 - To determine if you are right for the band.

2 - To determine if the band is right for you.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Aye.
And remember, there are two functions to an audition:

1 - To determine if you are right for the band.

2 - To determine if the band is right for you.

Indeed - a lot of people forget that second part. I really should write a follow-up article about it. Maybe also on auditioning new members.
Soundcloud
I say go for it. Personally i often play blues rock jams with a couple of fellas who are all in their 40ies, and i, myself are in my early twenties. Doesn't hurt. And since it's not overly technical, these musicians who are more experiences and more capable than i am teach me ALOT in the process. You know.. Old rats. Who played heavy shit in the 80ies. It's like being taught by the pros y'know! DO IT
FUCK YOU ALL!

666 BLACK METAL HOLOCAUST!!!!!
The Band Future is a very professional top level Latin Entertainment band based in Curacao, Netherlands Antilles, led by Giancarlo Hernandez.Since forming the band in the late 80’s, Future has caused a lot of commotion with its musical level; it’s therefore no coincidence that nowadays the band is one of the best entertainment groups in the local music scene.The band consists of 6 talented and experienced musicians who have all played actively both here in Curacao and in The Netherlands. Some have even had the honor of sharing the stage on various occasions with big names such as: Jose Alberto "El Canario", Air Supply, Gerard Joling, Las Chicas del Can, Grupo Niche and many more.Because of their vast musical experience, The Band Future is able to effortlessly provide your party or event with the appropriate Tropical gems. The basic repertoire consists of Merengue, Salsa, Zouk, Caribbean and Reggae. If desired a slightly customized repertoire can be put together as well.More and more often it is demanded from bands to also provide entertainment next to professional music. Most bands realize this need and try to comply with it. Future does not consider itself as one of these bands. The band has its own distinctive vision on the entertainment- and band-to-crowd relationship.This results in a unique entertainment group.
Last edited by alfiabobby at Jun 3, 2010,
Thx all, guess I`ll try auditioning for them. Should I just learn a piece of song and play it, or cool parts from various songs and put them together?
I would personally recommend just learning one song and being able to play it perfectly on the spot. You're going to look a lot better in the band's eyes by being able to whip your guitar out and play the song without having to think, or make mistakes, etc.

Plus, stringing parts from songs might sound cool in your head, but doing it in front of other people might possibly... be a little off. Who knows. This is just my two cents, you know? Well, that and personal experience - I once auditioned for a band and threw together bits and pieces of songs and they asked me what in the world I was supposed to be playing. They told me that if I was going to play a song, play the rest of it.

But whatever. Others are probably more qualified than myself to speak on this... Heh.
Quote by Even Sol
Thx all, guess I`ll try auditioning for them. Should I just learn a piece of song and play it, or cool parts from various songs and put them together?

Haha - parts from different songs together and little parts of songs by themselves? How silly. No, bands play full songs together. Contact them and ask if there's a song/s they can play together already. You learn this song/songs and play it with them on the day.
Soundcloud
You gonna get raped!

But seriously though, you need to give us something more here. Is it covers or original? I find that original material is often quite age bound whilst coverbands have less of a barrier except in the formation fo the setlist perhaps.

I'm 8 years younger then the other youngest member in my coverband ^^
The band is formed all they need is a bassist. One guy (36) is playing guitar/vocals, a girl (28) keyboard and finaly the drummer (37). They said they´d do both originals and covers.

By the way what i meant was: Should i arrange different riffs from different songs to make it sound more varieted or play one song, because many rock songs have the same riffs going over and over again which could get boring. Might aswell learn boogie down by all jerrau and play that, but that song couldn´t be further away from they genre lol
Quote by Even Sol
By the way what i meant was: Should i arrange different riffs from different songs to make it sound more varieted or play one song, because many rock songs have the same riffs going over and over again which could get boring.

No that would sound like crap. Play full songs just like the bands you listen to.
Soundcloud