stephen_rettie
UG's Non-anonymous
1,660 IQ
^ Probably not too clear, what I mean is: What albums have you listened to and not loved but either after subsequent listens or just time have you found yourself listing as one of your favorites?

Or something like that

When I first heard Coheed and Cambria's Year of the Black Rainbow I was pretty disappointed with the general feel, I couldn't hear any awesome riffs to grab on to. But yesterday I gave the whole album another listen and I freaking love it.

Same sort of thing happened with PTH's Fortress.

So what about you guys?
dillon1022
Like a goat
1,268 IQ
Korn take a look in the mirror
metallica st anger
acdc black ice
nickelback all the right reasons
Tsunoyukami
543 IQ
When I was first getting into music I was big into punk and pop-punk bands such as The Ramones, Sex Pistols, Green Day and blink-182. My friend recommended to me London Calling by The Clash, and so I picked it up. When I listened to it I was thoroughly disappointed. I said to myself, "This isn't punk!"

And so, it sat on my shelf collecting dust for a few months as I moved into Nirvana, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Black Sabbath and The Beatles and upon listening to it again I found I liked several of the tracks on the album.

Now, several years later, and after having explored a wide variety of artists I find that London Calling is a terrific album. It is simply awesome.

Furthermore, I find that several albums by jazz artists fall into this same category. They require several listens before you can begin to really listen and hear the songs properly.
nashawa
Rightful HxC Emperor
1,511 IQ
Jane Doe by Converge
The Inalienable Dreamless by Discordance Axis

I'm sure there's a few more.
Quote by emoboy027
Is fingering an emo chick that likes yoy and that has fallen in love with you is it wrong to you to finger her during lunch outside in front of everyone at the high school? would you not care or lol even wish it was you?

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
neidnarb11890
gentle collapsing
270 IQ
Quote by Tsunoyukami
When I was first getting into music I was big into punk and pop-punk bands such as The Ramones, Sex Pistols, Green Day and blink-182. My friend recommended to me London Calling by The Clash, and so I picked it up. When I listened to it I was thoroughly disappointed. I said to myself, "This isn't punk!"

I felt the same way when I first heard London Calling. But then I heard The Clash and The Clash became my new favorite band.

Also, the first time I heard Marquee Moon by Television I was kinda like "eh, whatever," but with each subsequent listen it kept sounding better and better until I realized that the meaning of life is hidden somewhere in the title track's guitar solo.
waxed_mustache
33 IQ

Really good, didn't enjoy most of the songs at first because I enjoy a lot of textures etc. but it's definitely awesome.
Last edited by waxed_mustache at Jun 7, 2010,
romencer17
Take it easy, but take it
1,928 IQ
Gentle Giant - Acquiring The Taste lolololo
Free your mind and your ass will follow
The kingdom of heaven is within
Open up your funky mind and you can fly

Sumdeus
slorggetti
Skree!
401 IQ
Everything by The Residents
Captain Beefheart
Swarrrm
http://soundcloud.com/dawwwstin
Quote by Sever_the_Skull
stfu spaghetti asshole

Quote by itachi-sasori
thats like... a really broad range... how can you like dragonforce AND beethoven Dx
EvilAngel93
No, check YOUR brain
2,152 IQ
Dirt by Alice in Chains. They're one of my all-time favorite bands, but when I first heard their music, I admittedly didn't think too much of it. Part of it was because I had always listened to overproduced modern alternative music, so naturally I was a bit confused by the sound of this band that every guitarist seemed to rave about. Sludgy guitar, trippy vocal harmonies, brutally dark lyrics....it was completely different from anything I'd ever heard. Took me a week in Colorado to really get comfortable with Alice in Chains; the effect of listening to really echoey songs like Would? or Angry Chair while surrounded by those majestic peaks was simply mind-blowing, there was some definitive quality unmatched by alot of other modern bands. Needless to say, Dirt brought me a musical epiphany, and thus I stopped listening to nearly all of my former junior-high music in favor of much better bands
Quote by Jackal58
I eat dead meat all the time. You don't have to chase it around your plate and it doesn't try to peck your eyes out.

It Happens.

My Gear:

-Custom Fender MIM Black Strat
-Mesa/Boogie Rect-O-Verb
-Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
neidnarb11890
gentle collapsing
270 IQ
Quote by waxed_mustache
*Entertainment!*
Really good, didn't enjoy most of the songs at first because I enjoy a lot of textures etc. but it's definitely awesome.

One of my favorites! Gang of Four changed how I approached guitar playing.
dillon1022
Like a goat
1,268 IQ
Quote by EvilAngel93
Dirt by Alice in Chains. They're one of my all-time favorite bands, but when I first heard their music, I admittedly didn't think too much of it. Part of it was because I had always listened to overproduced modern alternative music, so naturally I was a bit confused by the sound of this band that every guitarist seemed to rave about. Sludgy guitar, trippy vocal harmonies, brutally dark lyrics....it was completely different from anything I'd ever heard. Took me a week in Colorado to really get comfortable with Alice in Chains; the effect of listening to really echoey songs like Would? or Angry Chair while surrounded by those majestic peaks was simply mind-blowing, there was some definitive quality unmatched by alot of other modern bands. Needless to say, Dirt brought me a musical epiphany, and thus I stopped listening to nearly all of my former junior-high music in favor of much better bands

forgot about that one, totally agree. when i first heard dirt, i was like with the exception of them bones, this is crap. Then i gave it a second listen, and fell in love with it.
hockeyplayer168
47 IQ
Primus - Fizzle Fry
Oh yeah.

Quote by hildesaw
A minor is the saddest of all keys.

EDIT: D minor is the saddest of all keys.
Drummerrrrr?
Howdy, howdy, howdy
1,163 IQ
When I first heard Muse they were a bit too whack for me but now they're pretty much my favourite band and the songs I used to hate I now love. Also Underoath, I couldn't stand they're music and screamo in general. Define the Great Line would now be in my top 10 favourite albums.
lupinitic
766 IQ
Have a Nice Day - Bon Jovi
Stadium Arcadium - RHCP
liam3000
122 IQ

boy Muddy Waters invented electricity

live gamertag = LiamOfTheFunk
Finalconflict
64 IQ
The Devil and God Are Raging Inside Me by Brand New

First listen I found it disappointing but after going back I realized it's an exceptional album both musically and lyrically.

Quote by Tsunoyukami

And so, it sat on my shelf collecting dust for a few months as I moved into Nirvana, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Black Sabbath and The Beatles and upon listening to it again I found I liked several of the tracks on the album.

Now, several years later, and after having explored a wide variety of artists I find that London Calling is a terrific album. It is simply awesome.

Furthermore, I find that several albums by jazz artists fall into this same category. They require several listens before you can begin to really listen and hear the songs properly.

Felt the same exact way except I loved London Calling(song) after the first listen.
Gris-Gris-Man
savage
467 IQ
Quote by liam3000

came here to post this.

but in all reality, this happens to me a lot. ill put the album on the first time and not really have an instant liking to it. then later ill try it again and totally dig it.

example: John Barleycorn Must Die - Traffic (not the Traffic i expected, but came around to love it)
'Music is the best"
Zappa