Page 1 of 2
I know this is gonna be a 'it's up to you' question but I would appreciate the opinions eitherway.

I haven't played bass in what feels like an age. I've quit all my bands, including the worship bands. The last gigging band I was in fired me after two weeks, mostly because it was obvious that I didn't enjoy playing.

I've really been practicing and enjoying my keyboard one hell of a lot more. I find it a lot more fun but I have spent so much time and money on bass that I feel guilty. I just feel that all my failures band-wise are telling me I'm a terrible crappy bass player.

Tell me- does the world really need another keyboardist? Or am I just taking my failures too hard and that I should practice more and get better at bass?
here's my take,
At the moment it sounds like youdon't like playing bass, so don't! but DO NOT sell your gear-especially if you have good gear. there is a very good chance that you will decide to jam with someone one day as a bassist, and REALLY enjoy it again.

for the time being focus on keyboard if that's what makes you happy.
Cream fan club member #11.
Quote by P.B.
here's my take,
At the moment it sounds like youdon't like playing bass, so don't! but DO NOT sell your gear-especially if you have good gear. there is a very good chance that you will decide to jam with someone one day as a bassist, and REALLY enjoy it again.

I agree 100% with this.
THALL
I haven't played bass or guitar seriously, in 11 months. Gear all f*cked up. Too much to do, so something had to give. In all that time, I've never considered myself any less for it. Because I will bounce back.
For all I know, I might be sh*t (I don't think I am, but then self-delusion is a wonderful place), and I've been shown the door from every band I've ever been in - for a variety of reasons.
From having been ripped-off, done down, and filled with self-doubt, I can say for sure that the music industry is a hard and merciless place to be. Music herself is a brutally cruel mistress.
What I've learned (the hard way), is this: if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen. Quit whinging, and put up or shut up.
Harsh, maybe. True, absolutely.
Quote by creepingjesus73
I haven't played bass or guitar seriously, in 11 months. Gear all f*cked up. Too much to do, so something had to give. In all that time, I've never considered myself any less for it. Because I will bounce back.
For all I know, I might be sh*t (I don't think I am, but then self-delusion is a wonderful place), and I've been shown the door from every band I've ever been in - for a variety of reasons.
From having been ripped-off, done down, and filled with self-doubt, I can say for sure that the music industry is a hard and merciless place to be. Music herself is a brutally cruel mistress.
What I've learned (the hard way), is this: if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen. Quit whinging, and put up or shut up.
Harsh, maybe. True, absolutely.

Thing is that even with the worship bands (i.e. musicians who should really behave themselves!) it was a big drama every gig. Even where we were playing for nothing other than love of music, it always seemed to be a trainwreck.

I keep getting told one minute 'you're good' and then the next I'm fired.
Quote by P.B.
here's my take,

This. I've got quite a short attention span. and often other things will take my attention. Back in January, I got bored of bass and really fancied taking up guitar. So I did, now 6 months down the line I don't regret the decision as I've got a little guitar experience, but my interest's back at bass. I basically use whatevers holding my interest the most to get the most use out of what I'm doing - if you're enjoying keyboard better, you'll play better and practice better. Just keep playing whatevers making you happy, but definately don't sell anything - in a few weeks, months or even a couple years you'll pick it back up on a whim and rediscover the fun element and get back into it in a bigger way.
Quote by Marcel Veltman
Being a rather mediocre musician myself, I'm all on the hand of Haanz.

Guitar:
MIM '09 Fender Telecaster
Laney VC15-110 Old English White '10
Freshman FOP1DN Acoustic

Bass:
Ibanez SRX590
Laney RB4
Tech21 SansAmp BassDriver DI
Boss ODB-3
Quote by Haanz
This. I've got quite a short attention span. and often other things will take my attention. Back in January, I got bored of bass and really fancied taking up guitar. So I did, now 6 months down the line I don't regret the decision as I've got a little guitar experience, but my interest's back at bass. I basically use whatevers holding my interest the most to get the most use out of what I'm doing - if you're enjoying keyboard better, you'll play better and practice better. Just keep playing whatevers making you happy, but definately don't sell anything - in a few weeks, months or even a couple years you'll pick it back up on a whim and rediscover the fun element and get back into it in a bigger way.

I've been playing bass for 4 years, so my attention span isn't the problem. What I'm trying to explain is that the fact that I'm not in a band in the time I've been playing is making me think I'm absolute crap.
I think the problem is your personality isn't good for social gatherings.
Been in Japan since August, no fucking money left!
Quote by GaijinFoot
I think the problem is your personality isn't good for social gatherings.

Which doesn't explain why I've been able to play in 4 worship bands fairly easily.
If you dont enjoy playing bass, just dont. Take up keyboarding for a while. It cant hurt.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
oh yeah ive been here, just put your gear down pop it in the case put it away and take a break. once it becomes a chore, it becomes work, and work SUCKS!!!!

take some time pursue other interests and if it comes back to you it will. i took a break for 4 years, it just wasn't fun anymore, no one to jam with so i couldnt get anywhere.
now im back and i have people to jam with now.
Its probably not your bass playing, its your personality.

Just saying.

Playing with worship bands doesnt mean jack
Maybe you should stop playing with worships bands they may not match your style (personality or otherwise). And don't get rid of your bass gear you will most likely regret it unless your bass has a mind of its and raped you at one point or another.

Ooh and now that I think about it wouldn't playing multiple instruments make you a valuable asset in a band.
You sound like you're in a funk. It happens to the best of us, spend some time on the keys or something, and eventually you'll pick up the bass and get back in the swing of things.

Just don't over-think the situation too much, or you'll convince yourself that the best course of action would be to give up and sell all your gear, a decision which you may well regret later down the road.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Man, at first I thought this was about trolling. But anyways... Do whatever you enjoy. Play the keys if you like keys, play the bass if you like playing the bass, but like they said, dont sell your gear.

Or...

Get the best of both worlds like the guy here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLGde-7mIyA
I pride myself on my humility.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Which doesn't explain why I've been able to play in 4 worship bands fairly easily.

but it does explain why you've been fired from 4 worship bands fairly quickly.

its called a pattern.
the minimalist σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
Playing keyboards will probably indirectly make you better at bass.
--Gear--

5 piece blonde sparkle Gretch drum kit

-Drummers need their own forum-
Do what's fun.

This.

I realize its a bit of a bummer to find yourself becoming disinterested in something after investing so much time, money and heart.

But, if you keep dragging yourself thru the mud with it, it'll only make it worse. After 13 years of guitar, I ended up switching to drums and i gad dang love it. I still play guitar once inawhile.. and its kinda sad how much i've lost on guitar.. but it doesn't matter. I have a blast drumming and thats what counts.

If you're enjoying the keys a lot.. go for it.. it only gets more fun when you start using midi to play around with different samplers and VSTs
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
just do what you want to do.

being kicked out of a band doesn't necessarily mean your crap; we had this helluva awesome lead vocalist in our band once, then later on, we found out how stuck up she actually was. So we booted her. Like I said, it may not have been your playing rather than more of a difference of views between you and your fellow musicians, however, if you really don't enjoy bass, then just store it, bring it out when a mate wants to jam with a bassist, and in the meanwhile, play the instrument you're happiest with
Quote by JK01
just do what you want to do.

being kicked out of a band doesn't necessarily mean your crap; we had this helluva awesome lead vocalist in our band once, then later on, we found out how stuck up she actually was. So we booted her. Like I said, it may not have been your playing rather than more of a difference of views between you and your fellow musicians, however, if you really don't enjoy bass, then just store it, bring it out when a mate wants to jam with a bassist, and in the meanwhile, play the instrument you're happiest with

Good point.
Don't worry about it. I didn't play bass for two or three weeks straight because I was mostly playing guitar then I picked up the bass yesterday and had a great time. I'm not that good at either but I still have fun.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Yup. Nothing wrong with stepping away briefly and having a rest. Learn keyboard and any other instrument that interests you. Eventually you will have a few different instuments you can play and bounce back and forth between them. Kinda takes some of the monotony out of having just one thing to play.

I would suggest that you focus on the one you like best though. But when it gets frustrating, put it down for a few days and move to the next one. For example: I am a bass player. I have been for 22 years. I play it at practice, I play it at gigs and I play it when I need to learn songs for the band. It gets boring sometimes trying to play at home and by yourself. So do you know what I play for fun and to relieve frustration? Guitar. or drums. I even have a keyboard set up...but I never play it. lol.

I've even found that when I step away from something, often times I come back being better and fresher than I previously was. You have four years invested. Dont throw it away.
I quit playing bass anywhere except for band practice for like 3 weeks to learn Ukulele. I did it for keyboard/piano, guitar, and harmonica at different points. I still love bass, and it's still my main instrument, but I just put it away at home for a while to learn something else, and I manage to find a way to relate what I did with one instrument back to bass in someway. [except for maybe Harmonica, that was for a friend... hahahaha]
Quote by JagerSlushy

Black people play bass.
Quote by isabiggles
Nevermind, that's a stupid pun for Australian pyromaniacs.
Just forget I said anything.

Quote by mac_attack
THE PURE SEXUAL THRILL!!!!
And stuff...

^^^
On playing bass.
Gear:
ESP B-206SM
Behringer BRX1800H
Acoustic B115
Asher Custom 2x10
I am all for people taking up new instruments. It gives you a different perspective on music and adds to your creative total. It also helps to understand how each element fits in to make the whole. I have learned several instruments over my lifetime and each one is fun and brings something to the proverbial mix. And taking breaks can bring one back with fresh perspective and enthusiasm.

However-I will caution anyone who jumps from instrument to instrument, thinking they are going to suddenly find the golden key and that the same roadblock they run into each time is going to magically disappear. Making music is fun but at some point, it is hard work as well and requires effort. You will never learn the joy of being at the top of the mountain if you don't work to get there. What's the old saying---""Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again but expecting different results"?

Fassa, I've said it before. Get someone objective to really evaluate what you are doing and how you are approaching music and being in a group dynamic. It will be better for you and everyone concerned if you do so.
Is music a career path for you or a hobby? If it's a hobby there should be no guilt in taking a break and playing another instrument. The idea of "quitting" an instrument doesn't make any sense. Just don't play it if you don't feel like it. When you do feel like you do want to, play it again. If there's no passion then there's no point in doing it. However, if you have passion in music generally (which you seem to) then I bet you'll be back on the bass after a while.
Play whatever you like, don't sell your gear.

And I really love the sound of an nice smooth amplified bass

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

Quote by SuomiJakobstad
Playing keyboard isn't such a shame, lot's of bands seek keyboard players too.

Yeah.....

Cheesy wedding bands!
Being kicked from a band means nothing. You could dabble into keyboards, the different chordal spectrum will help basically any instrument you play.

But I'd like to ask, are you in a rut or something? This is a vibe I'm getting, and if you indeed are, why is that? No more songs to play, no more people to jam, or something different altogether?
Quote by watchingmefall
Being kicked from a band means nothing. You could dabble into keyboards, the different chordal spectrum will help basically any instrument you play.

But I'd like to ask, are you in a rut or something? This is a vibe I'm getting, and if you indeed are, why is that? No more songs to play, no more people to jam, or something different altogether?

To answer your questions: I'm just sick and tired of playing the same old stuff over and over. I seem to end up playing the same old songs, no matter how I try and break out of doing so.

I've tried learning jazz bass to try and make my basslines more interesting but it's really hard...

I dunno...
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
To answer your questions: I'm just sick and tired of playing the same old stuff over and over. I seem to end up playing the same old songs, no matter how I try and break out of doing so.

I've tried learning jazz bass to try and make my basslines more interesting but it's really hard...

I dunno...

nothing worth doing is ever easy, otherwise it would be just too damn boring. anything and everything is hard at first, but you keep at it, you will be awesome.

but like I said, follow your heart man, you can never go wrong by doing that.
Quote by :Vicious--
banned cuz you have succesfully wasted my time. you must pay

Quote by Metal Axe
Banned because you may waste my time

Quote by PsiGuy60
Banned because yes, you may waste my time.

May I waste your time too
Don't sell your stuff, you'll probably get back into it. I stopped playing for 2 months and was about to sell it but I started playing again. In the mean time play what instrument interests you the most.
i can imagine that you can play an instrument allot better if you can "feel it"..so go with keyboards :] but yea keep your bass near by, you could end up getting bored of keyboards and desire the groove of a bass again :]
Quote by Fassa Albrecht

then fucking play something different.

instead of complaining about it to strangers on the interweb, why don't you learn some new songs from a genre you have less experience with. Maybe go read up on theory, and learn some new patterns or ideas.

this seems an awful lot like one of your recent threads about "fretless hate" where you were just fishing for people to stroke your ego.

I see that happening here too. Everyone goes into ruts time and again, but who on earth is melodramatic enough to suggest quitting and selling the instrument???

clearly you are fassa
Quote by dullsilver_mike
..Bob Barker isn't dead.

Quote by The_Casinator
Nothing is impossible if you're on acid!

Quote by Holy Katana
What if the NES breaks? WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW?
if this happened in a relationship with a significant other and you felt about them how you feel about bass, what would you do?

i think you're fishing for compliments too as you've not address any of the people suggesting negative things which are probably true. getting kicked out of a number of bands is a problem. you may say it's because "it was obvious i didn't love doing it."

whatever. you either didn't show at a gig, didn't come to rehearsal or played like crap. or your personality, as someone suggested, just grated on everyone's nerves. simple as. i don't love playing at bars for four hours a night, but i do it because it's a job. it's music and i like to play it. every night it's the same material. even then, same forms for most every song. but it doesn't really matter to me. i do it because if i can make a living playing bass, that's the best of all possible worlds for me.

either you like to play music or you don't. it's simple.
#DTWD
Page 1 of 2