So I have a Spector Legend Custom 5, and I think I'm having some amp problems because of it. The bass has passive pickups, but has an active EQ. I've been using the passive input on the amps I've used because the pickups are passive, but someone should correct me if this is wrong. But anyway, I've been playing through an Ampeg BA-115, and after a while it developed a crackly sound when I played and seemed really quiet. The crackle comes and goes, but usually after a few minutes of playing at low volume it becomes impossible to get a good sound out of because the crackling/buzzing gets so bad. I had a gig coming up and couldn't use my own amp for these reasons, and so I borrowed a friend's Fender Bassman 400. It sounded great for a few days of practicing + a small gig, but yesterday I noticed the same buzzing coming from it. Changing the gain/volume/EQ settings changes the buzz, but doesn't get rid of it. I really don't want to find out that I've broken my amp as well as a friends, but right now I just want to find out what's going on. Any help is appreciated.
You've probly been unlucky, but if in doubt, plug an active bass into the active/Hi-Z input. There's a resistance load in there, that the passive/Lo-Z doesn't have, which is there to 'tame' the input, and help reduce noise.
I've used the passive input on the various Marshalls I've used, without trouble on passive and 9v basses. My BTB's an 18v-er, and I don't take chances with that!
I've got the exact same bass, and play through the low Z input of my amps at school (250 watt Vase tube bass amp, if anyone's ever heard of them...), and haven't broken any of them after 6 months of use.

To me it sounds like the battery in your pre is dying, was there much of a gap between you using your amp and switching to your friends?
Batteries for active pickups last forever. I'd doubt those being an issue. I had a similar problem with my guitar with EMGs. Get the bass checked for dirty pots. I would get these sudden volume cuts and get scratchy noises and crap while turning my pots. My friend's schecter bass has a faulty input jack, I'd get that checked as well. Both of these issues sound similar to what you've got.

Hope I helped!
Last edited by Quinlan at Jun 3, 2010,
Quote by 6stringbasshred
To me it sounds like the battery might of gone?
Worth swapping maybe, much cheaper than getting new pick-ups!

Ya Its a likely chance that it can just be your battery.Just happened to me a week ago, I was playing with my band and then we went to take a break and i left the input cord plugged in and when I went back to play it, it sounded all fuzzy and was quiet. I thought I blew a speaker but then a hour or so after sitting there playing and fiddling around with it to try fixing it my battery just died. Replaced it and everything was fine
Quote by Damaged Roses
I don't really understand why basses have 24 frets, I mean, I've never seen a bassist playing more than the 12 fret.

My Gear-
Warwick Double Buck
Epiphone EB0
GK MB 210
Fender Rumble
Check the batteries.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Quote by Quinlan
Batteries for active pickups last forever. I'd doubt those being an issue. I had a similar problem with my guitar with EMGs. Get the bass checked for dirty pots. I would get these sudden volume cuts and get scratchy noises and crap while turning my pots. My friend's schecter bass has a faulty input jack, I'd get that checked as well. Both of these issues sound similar to what you've got.

Hope I helped!

Ide say batteries last 8-12 months depending on how long you play each day.
Quote by Damaged Roses
I don't really understand why basses have 24 frets, I mean, I've never seen a bassist playing more than the 12 fret.

My Gear-
Warwick Double Buck
Epiphone EB0
GK MB 210
Fender Rumble
Quote by The1bassist06
Ide say batteries last 8-12 months depending on how long you play each day.

Heh. I wish! I'm good for about three months if I'm lucky.

I'd like to find some 9volt lithiums. That would be killer!
Thanks for all the replies guys! I took the amp in, and the pro said there was nothing wrong with the amp. That leaves either a problem with the bass, the battery, or the cord I was using. I tried to troubleshoot, but of course, everything worked. So I'm not really complaining, I'm just hoping that the problem doesn't come back.
Yes, if the battery is dying in your pickups, it will make the amp sound like its blown