1) So for CDEFGABC would I just call it a key of C? Or is it C Major?

2) For the above key, could I then use any scale of the letters, or if it is major can I only use major scales?

I apologize if anything is worded improperly, I'm trying to learn at least basic theory from online lessons and books. Having no teacher to ask questions is pretty tough. Thanks a ton.
1. that would be called C Major, but a lot of people might just call it C

2. If you are playing in C Major, you are only playing those notes (pretty much in any order you want) with no sharps or flats. If it sounds happy, you are playing in C Major, if it sounds sad, you are probably playing in A Minor (which is the same notes as C Major, but the root note is A, not C, and it makes a sad sound, not a happy sound.)

As a general rule when playing in C major, you usually want to start and end with C, you don't really have to though, that just makes it easier to stay in the right key.
Quote by leg end

"Roses are red,
Violets are bitchin'
Goddammit woman,
get back in the kitchen"
1) either/or

2) I don't understand the question. Theoretically, if you are playing single notes, you could play any of those letters (the white keys on the keyboard). Don't forget not to blindly follow theory though. Try to mix it up with some out of key notes.
If you are playing chords, the chords in this key would be
C Dm Em F G Am Bdim C
Thanks for the replies. As for the second question I'm not sure how to phrase it properly. I guess I'm asking what can I use in a key of C? If my friend was playing a song in the key of C Major, what would I use to improvise over it basically?
Last edited by Khaos5191 at Jun 2, 2010,
Quote by Khaos5191
Thanks for the replies. As for the second question I'm not sure how to phrase it properly. I guess I'm asking what can I use in a key of C? If my friend was playing a song in the key of C Major, what would I use to improvise over it basically?

Anything you want.

It's just easiest if you stick to the notes in C Major.
have you tried learning the pentatonic scale (not sure if I spelled that correctly) it's a pretty good improvising scale for begginers, thats hoiw I first learned to improvise.
Quote by leg end

"Roses are red,
Violets are bitchin'
Goddammit woman,
get back in the kitchen"
Quote by sites.nick
have you tried learning the pentatonic scale (not sure if I spelled that correctly) it's a pretty good improvising scale for begginers, thats hoiw I first learned to improvise.

This. The pentatonic major scale is the major scale minus two notes. It's not used any differently, it's just an even more specific guideline than the major scale when improvising. Most of the notes of a solo will belong to the pentatonic scale while a minority will be of the notes rejected from the pentatonic scale (and an even smaller minority won't appear in either the major scale or the pentatonic). If you're in the key of C Major, you can play anything you want, no music police will arrest you, but when improvising it's best to stick to C Major, and even further stick to C Major Pent.

In the case of a minor key, take the above paragraph and replace every instance of "major" with "minor".
i don't know why i feel so dry
I would say check out a lesson that would be more helpful for you to learn stuff thoroughly ..
Quote by Eastwinn
This. The pentatonic major scale is the major scale minus two notes. It's not used any differently, it's just an even more specific guideline than the major scale when improvising. Most of the notes of a solo will belong to the pentatonic scale while a minority will be of the notes rejected from the pentatonic scale (and an even smaller minority won't appear in either the major scale or the pentatonic). If you're in the key of C Major, you can play anything you want, no music police will arrest you, but when improvising it's best to stick to C Major, and even further stick to C Major Pent.

In the case of a minor key, take the above paragraph and replace every instance of "major" with "minor".

+1 He's right, you can play pretty much whatever you want, I just found it easier as a begginer sticking to the pentatonic to get used to improvising before I started trying anything new.
Quote by leg end

"Roses are red,
Violets are bitchin'
Goddammit woman,
get back in the kitchen"