Hello gents,
Well, my lovely warmoth explorer had an accident with fire. Luckily the wood was fine once I sanded it back a bit, but alas, the stain finish was a disaster.
So here we go... I sanded back, removed the nitro finish, and bathed it in lacquer remover to start easing the blotched the heck stain (red/blue/black) out. Still, it turned out like patchy crap, so I, on the advice of some experts, bleached the wood using clorox. This got 90% of the old stains (aniline, alcohol based) out, but of course raised the grain. I sanded her all back, pore filled, and hoped to begin staining again (going for a desert burst).
Now... I'm left with this. The mahogany portions turned out fine, but the flamed maple top is complete crap. There are still red blotches over it, and those blotches, no matter how much I sand, are incredibly rough. I suppose this is from the raised grain. The top is still lumpy under the touch, and won't flatten to even 60grit. I have about an 1/8 inch of maple top to play with. I plan next to plane the top again using a oldschool hand planer, though I thought I'd get the expert advise from the UG dwellers first.

Lovely mahogany...

Red, rough blotches

So yeah, +1 for planing the top?

Thanks guys... she was my main player, and I miss her bad
Last edited by GoldChocobo at Jun 2, 2010,
At least its not hurt and you could so some kinda, quirky / zaney kinda swirl design on the front?
"Guitar is tactile, It's about how you play it"
- Joe Bonamassa

Quote by TomG10-7
At least its not hurt and you could so some kinda, quirky / zaney kinda swirl design on the front?

No I tried already. It just looks/feels like pure crap
This idea is completely retarded and half baked but i'm going to post it anyone because i'm insane:
stain the entire thing light, light, red like those blotchy parts, then let it dry and work from there.

(any possibility this could work at all?)
Stain it trans black.
Or glue a new flame maple veneer on to it.
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
Now, how did your guitar catch on fire in the first place?

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
Someone pushed it onto a heater and left it there over night. Smokey stuff

edit: I suppose that is not exactly "fire", but eh whatever.
Quote by Schism1985
This idea is completely retarded and half baked but i'm going to post it anyone because i'm insane:
stain the entire thing light, light, red like those blotchy parts, then let it dry and work from there.

(any possibility this could work at all?)

No, since the blotchy spots seem to accept stain 2ce as deeply... the red blotch spots are very rough to the touch, regardless of how much I sand them.
Perhaps planing a few mms off the top would help?