Recently I've noticed that the input jack on my Bugera 6262 has started to wiggle a little bit. Nothing major, and there's no issues with sound, but I'd rather it felt a bit more solid. How can I tighten it up without opening up the amp and without damaging the jack?
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
I don't know about fixing it, but there are several ways to avoid this. You could loop the cable around the handle or underneath(if it's a head) to avoid pulling on the jack
OK, this just shot WAY up on my priority list. I went to go play my guitar for a bit. Pretty much as soon as I plugged into the amp THE ****ING JACK POPS OUT. Actually not the jack so much as the part that attaches to the jack on the inside of the amp and has a washer and nut that screw on to the outside of the amp. Point is, I'M COMPLETELY ****ED BECAUSE MY INPUT JACK PRETTY MUCH JUST SPLIT IN HALF. Anyone know any good amp techs in the DC area? I'd rather not open up my amp and fix this myself because I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing.
Quote by dr_shred

Quote by littlephil

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
Picture please.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.

Quote by dr_shred

Quote by littlephil

Quote by Banjocal

Has it properly broken or just unscrewed itself?

If the latter, it's an easy fix, but it involves opening the chassis.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
That's no good:/
But don't freak out, it should be a cheap fix, most music stores either have techs or know some. Just go there
u can't screw it back on or plug it back on?
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
I know a place that does amp repair, I was just wondering if there was anything I could do that didn't involve replacing the jack (which I'm pretty sure is wired to the PCB).

EDIT: I can't screw it back on. It definitely looks like something's snapped. You can't really tell from the picture but the part that broke off has that whitish color that broken plastic always gets. Same with the part that's still in the amp.
Quote by dr_shred

Quote by littlephil

Quote by Banjocal

Last edited by FrustratedRocka at Jun 2, 2010,
Personally I'd just learn to solder and replace the jack.

Unless they put it on the board it'd be an easy fix and perfectly safe since the jack isn't near any filter capacitors.

Edit: oh, it's a Bugera. It's probably going to be board-mounted then.

Last edited by bubb_tubbs at Jun 2, 2010,
Quote by bubb_tubbs
Personally I'd just learn to solder and replace the jack.

Unless they put it on the board it'd be an easy fix and perfectly safe since the jack isn't near any filter capacitors.

Edit: oh, it's a Bugera. It's probably going to be board-mounted then.

...which is why I want a tech to do it...
Quote by dr_shred

Quote by littlephil

Quote by Banjocal

Quote by FrustratedRocka
...which is why I want a tech to do it...

Well, he was just saying that if it wasn't board mounted (connected by wires, not straight soldered on), then you could just buy a new jack, learn to solder real fast, and just solder a new jack on.

It really is easy to learn to solder for quick jobs like that that don't really involve any major parts, or are just wires connected to metal.

Once you get into PCBs and other things... ugh. Hard to get straight.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
it still isnt impossible by any means if it is a pcb mounted jack. same concept really.

i would just solder wires between the new jack and pcb leads if its possible.
orrrr just buy a pcb-mountable jack replacement?
'87 Fender Strat
Oscar Schmidt Archtop
Laney LC15R
Quote by boardsofcanada
it still isnt impossible by any means if it is a pcb mounted jack. same concept really.

i would just solder wires between the new jack and pcb leads if its possible.
orrrr just buy a pcb-mountable jack replacement?

Oh, not saying it's not impossible, I'm just saying that there's the risk of burning the board if you're not very fluent in soldering with 'em.

I'm still a n00b with teh PCBz.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
^ It's certainly not impossible, but it's more of a pain in the ass than if it were a proper job with leads instead of traces.

Quote by bubb_tubbs
^ It's certainly not impossible, but it's more of a pain in the ass than if it were a proper job with leads instead of traces.

oh no doubt. but i think it isnt going to be a whole lot do worry about with an amp's pcb. they usually use heavier solder that requires more heat than your typical blend but the pcb on 99% of amps should be able to handle quite a few even badly done solder jobs.

unlike my old 535q wah which i killed a long time ago by burning off a lead
'87 Fender Strat
Oscar Schmidt Archtop
Laney LC15R
with most amps, you have to take off the PCB board itself to be able to solder stuff on there. that's the real bitch in pcb amps.

with eyelet/turret boards you just fix ur amp by taking off the back panel. hehe
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard