I dunno if this is the reason it was up for sale, but...

Back in November, for my birthday, I bought a Jay Turser Les Paul. It sounded great.

After a while, a weird *BLUB* sound starting coming out of the middle and rhythm positions.

So, here's my question. Do you think it's...

a. a bad pickup?
b. a bad pot?
c. a bad switch

The treble pickup works PERFECTLY (even though it doesn't sound that great, what do you expect for a 200 dollar guitar) but the other one doesn't.

I'll post sound clips later.

Thank you!
i have a jay turser and its sexy. but i think thats just cause someone modded it.... it haz a bigsby and sound damn good... lol... but umm i dont have alot of experience with wiring so idk. but hope u figure it out.
What are the controls? If it has a vol and/or tone I suppose it could be a bad pot or connection, but a bad pickup is possible too. I'd check the connections first, then bypass all the pots. If you still have the problem, sounds like a pick up. If not, wonky pot. Regardless, I'd say the best way to fix a Jay Turser is to huck it out a third or fourth story window.
Chain:
Fingers -> Schecter Damien FR -> Fulltone OCD -> ABY Box -> Bugera V22 / Peavey 6505+
What exactly is a "BLUB"? As it should be a 3 way toggle, just look at it and make sure the leaves are fully dissconnecting. Rotate the vol and tone knobs, see if they affect the sound at all, it would be in the bridge vol or tone pots, if it is only happening in the ones that use that pickup.

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
I have a Turser as well, and I love it.

I did, however, replace the pickups almost immediately.
The pots and jack are decent enough.

I would do a resistance check on the bridge pickup through the jack, the switch, and the pots.
See if you get a full sweep across both pots.
Epiphone Les Paul goldtop (EMG 81/85)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Jay Turser JT200 Serpent (GFS Crunchy Rails/Crunchy Pat)
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
i don't know how to check any of this stuff. The switch works fine and switches the pickups perfectly. i really think this is the pickup, and i dunno how to rotate pots.

basically i suck.
you would check the resistance with a Multi-Meter, finding the resistance of the pickup between ground and the hot for the bridge pickup, which would be attached to the volume knob.

What I meant by rotating the pots, is just turning the vol or tone up or down, and does it do anything?

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
oh- monkeylink

they work as they're supposed to. which is why I think it's just a bad pickup.

it sounds terrible anyways. seriously, it's not that great :S
Well, rip the pickups out and toss 'em.
Buy a set off of GFS or a pair of SDs or EMGs or something and rewire that bad boy.

Mine has GFS pickups and I really like them... the Rail is nice and edgy and the Pat is glassy.
Epiphone Les Paul goldtop (EMG 81/85)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Jay Turser JT200 Serpent (GFS Crunchy Rails/Crunchy Pat)
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
i have a feeling its not the pups. pickups very rarely just die like that. I've only seen it once in my life, and thats on my 63 Hofner 182. but old Hofner pups are actually well known to do that.

my 2 cents anyhow.
yeah, ^ that was my thinking. I first thought it was the switch, maybe the capacitor, yet I still don't really know what a "BLUB" is, is it a constant muddiness? or somthing that happens when switching pickups?

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
If I play 1 string alone, it doesn't have much of an abnormality. But if I play 3 strings at the same time, this weird noise comes out of the guitar.

I dunno why.

EDIT: I'm using that as an example. Really, if I play something loud, then it'll make a really weird noise. It comes and goes.
Last edited by DisasterMatt at Jun 4, 2010,
Quote by Invader Jim
you sure its not just overdriving the front end of the amp? if that happens you usually get kind of a fizzy/splatty sound.

Is the rhythm pickup really close to the strings? If it was that would explain why only getting the sound in the middle and rhythm positions. If it's too high it may be making contact with the strings or making it sound distorted when you switch to it.
Hello all, I bought a used Epiphone Les Paul 56' gold top, great guitar, but has a problem. The neck tone pot does not respond unless the neck volume is all the way up. If the volume is less than max, the tone is stuck on max treble. Can any one help me with this ?. Thanks, Luke.