hi everyone, i'm dealing with a drummer that doesn't have a soundhole for the first time tomorrow and i was hoping to get some advice. i use an AKG D112 paired with a Yamaha Subkick. i just purchased the subkick and have only used it once. the D112 i have always put through the soundhole in a kick drum. what do i do with it since this guy doesn't have a soundhole and doesn't want me to cut one? he is being pretty dickish about taking the front head off as well. he is a stubborn a$$ of a drummer and will not listen. where should i put the D112?

i'm also not sure how to eq the subkick's channel. like i said, i have only used it once and that was 2 days ago. i'm ready to eq the tracks but i don't have the slightest clue as to what is normally done with a subkick.

any help is greatly appreciated
You can try Micing it outside the soundhole. I did this for one session and depending on where you put it outside(where the hole would be), how the drummer kicks, and some EQing and compression, it can sound good. I did this with a d112 ,PM me if you want a sample of it to see how it ended up sounding

No idea on the sub kick, good luck
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
I would just insist on taking off the front drum head all together. If he's going to be a jerk about something like that, then the whole session isn't going to be a whole lot of fun. It's kind of important to get the mic to pick up beater from the other side. Nice setup though, the sub kick is pretty awesome. I think that if you mic'ed it up with the front head still on it would sound a bit muffled and boomy. I guess it doesn't hurt to try that first though.

myspace.com/weasheroesband
Quote by think11270
I would just insist on taking off the front drum head all together. If he's going to be a jerk about something like that, then the whole session isn't going to be a whole lot of fun. It's kind of important to get the mic to pick up beater from the other side. Nice setup though, the sub kick is pretty awesome. I think that if you mic'ed it up with the front head still on it would sound a bit muffled and boomy. I guess it doesn't hurt to try that first though.

thanks! i spent all of my income taxes on new gear and the D112 and the subkick were the first two things i bought. definitely worth it too!
i think i am going to have to insist on him taking the head off. can i still use the subkick with the head off?
honestly, the subkick doesn't really need much (if any) eq if you place it right. i've never eq'd it, and it's worked wonderfully for me every time.
Quote by sandyman323
honestly, the subkick doesn't really need much (if any) eq if you place it right. i've never eq'd it, and it's worked wonderfully for me every time.

word to your madre. i haven't added anything so far and it sounds good. just needed to know what someone else does too