I have no clue about flat picking etc. Is it when you do a chord and pick the strings or not? If it isn't what's that called? And how do you do that exactly? And what's it called when you do like tabs an press down one string on one fret? Please help me in my confusion.

Thanks,
Signed a wondering guitarist.
Quote by bellybear
I have no clue about flat picking etc. Is it when you do a chord and pick the strings or not? If it isn't what's that called? And how do you do that exactly?
That's a strum. Whenever you play more than one string at one time with one motion, it's strumming. Playing one string at a time is picking.
Quote by bellybear
And what's it called when you do like tabs an press down one string on one fret? Please help me in my confusion.
:

Fretting?
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
When you play a chord and pick the strings (ascending then decending) its basically a arpeggio.

It depends on your style of playing how to go about it. Normally I just fret the entire chord like I were to play it as a whole and then just pluck each string going from lowest to highest in tone.

When you play from tabs, its kinda sight reading: looking at the tab and playing what it tells you (or what you see). When you put on finger on one fret and play it, that's simply just fretting a note. Example: on the low e, the 3rd fret, if you were to simply place a finger there you'd be 'fretting' a G.
Quote by captaincrunk
This isn't a guitar forum.

Try WebMD.

Quote by MH400
www.ultimate-guitar.com

Ok. But, Do you pick all the strings or just the ones your pressing down. Like if I was playing an D would I Pluck GBe or EADGBe?

Thanks for all the helpful comments.