Page 1 of 4
Now before you start flaming me with posts please read this...

By no means do I want to say that the entire genre is dead. Quite the oppisite really. With bands like Amon Amarth, Korn and Slipknot metal is still very alive. What I mean to say (but can't in the title due to the character limit) is...is CLASIC Metal and HEAVY metal dead.

For you guys my age who don't listen to stuff from our parents time I mean the metal like from Ozzy, Judas Priest, Black Sabbath, Dio, Iron Maiden, Manowar, and sure...maybe even some of the glam metal bands like Def Leppard.

It just seems like, spare a few exceptions like Black Tide and Lordi, almost all metal bands nowadays are all about screaming the lyrics to a song instead of singing it. Singing in a voice so gutteral it's hard to understand, etc, etc.

Am I just a kid born in the wrong generation? Is metal just evolving into new things and I shuld try and adapt, or is the old style still alive in newer bands, not just by guys in thier 50's-70's?

Thanks for reading and have a good one,
Phoenix
Have a good one,
Phoenix
Why should metal be like it was back in that time? We're 30 years ahead of that buddy! I'm not all that into many of today's popular metal bands like Killswitch Engage and In Flames, but you can't expect them to sound like the British Steel album. Ozzy is putting a new album out, listen to that.

I'm sure there's plenty of metal bands that don't do the screaming thing, you just have to take a look around.
I would agree with that guy ^

You don't always have to look to the future for good music, the reason you still hear about those good bands is because they stood the test of time because they were that good.

Sure, the future may look bleak, but that doesn't mean that there aren't gonna be ANY new bands like that.
Quote by Phoenix Reborn
Is metal dead?

No.
Quote by guitgrinder
Yep. I'm real mad. I got done havin some fun jammin w/ my band today, gonna have a Sloppy Joe dinner, w/ Tater Tots covered in chili, then my girlfriends gonna blow me tonight. I've got lots to be mad about!
It's not dead there's just way more bands so finding a good one is tougher.
To deny our own impulses, is to deny the very thing that makes us human.
Dude, two words: White Wizzard.

You know, that and you can also, maybe start your own band with that classic metal sound and try a few new things with it to find a unique sound (very rare in mainstream nowadays).
Last edited by Gabrhil at Jun 2, 2010,
It will never be 'dead'. Time, however, waits for no man. Each decade will have it's own metal icons.
Inhuman evil take down!
Metal has more variety out there than any other genre. You just have to look.

A lot of sludge metal bands have picked up the Black Sabbath vibe, although the vocals are typically harsher. On the side closer to hard rock, bands like Bang Camaro have continued in that vein.

As for simply singing vocals as opposed to screaming... have you listened to metal?... There are so many bands that sing you can't throw a stick in the air without hitting one.
Metal has more variety out there than any other genre. You just have to look.
You know that can't be not true. You just know more about metal than other genres, so to you it has more variety.
Inhuman evil take down!
Riveting thread, old bean.
Matthew 5:5 - "Blessed are the meek: for they shall Beherit the earth."
Quote by 18th_Angel
You know that can't be not true. You just know more about metal than other genres, so to you it has more variety.

Not really, I play classical piano and violin, jazz and funk bass, and rock and metal guitar (and drums but I'm not really good enough yet to choose a dominant style). I like Classical, Jazz, and Metal equally. Metal however is the only genre of music that draws extensively from all other genres. This gives it the most variety.
Last edited by jfreyvogel at Jun 2, 2010,
Metal, just my 2 cents, is all about variety. If people want to do gutteral vocals fine by me. I know there are some people into it.

I'm just wondering why it seems like 9/10 metal bands now only use gutteral vocals or screaming instead of singing? Music is all about keeping things original, lending everything to together to sound harmonious and just having fun with it.

Most metal bands now a days just seem to be copying eachother with the isnging styles, playing nothing but trplets in rop A tuning and banging on the drums going for volume rather than quality but atleast they still keep in touch with music being about having a good time.

Granted this may sound very...un metalheadish (that even a word?)...but it's true even in metal.
Have a good one,
Phoenix
Quote by Phoenix Reborn
Most metal bands now a days just seem to be copying eachother with the isnging styles, playing nothing but trplets in rop A tuning and banging on the drums going for volume rather than quality but atleast they still keep in touch with music being about having a good time..

You're thinking of pop metal, i.e. most metalcore and deathcore out right now.

There are tons of black, death, doom and loads of other metal bands who are still original and progressing the overall sound of the genre to new dimensions.
Free your mind and your ass will follow
The kingdom of heaven is within
Open up your funky mind and you can fly

Sumdeus
Last edited by romencer17 at Jun 2, 2010,
Quote by romencer17

There are tons of black, death, doom and loads of other metal bands who are still original and progressing the over sound of the genre to new dimensions.

This.

@TS
Want some original stuff to listen to? These aren't throwbacks to the 70s or 80s, because I'm looking to interest you in some new stuff. Just a few things:

Song / Artist / Band's Genre, Style or other Characteristics

Dead Man Slough - Giant Squid (Jazzy Post Metal)
Bloom - Scale the Summit (Progressive Technical Metal)
A Fair Judgement - Opeth (Progressive Death Metal)
Soraya - Animals as Leaders (Jazzy Technical Progressive Metal)
Grenades - Torche (Sludge Metal)
Not Unlike the Waves - Agalloch (Black/Doom/Post Metal)
Believe in Nothing - Nevermore (Progressive Metal)
Ghost Key - Isis (Post Metal)
Integral Birth - Cynic (Progressive Technical Metal)
Supercrush! (and) Numbered! - The Devin Townsend Project (Progressive Metal)
The Sweetest Curse - Baroness (Sludge Metal)

I could go on forever but...

Anyway if you are still bored with metal why not try classical and jazz
Last edited by jfreyvogel at Jun 2, 2010,
Quote by romencer17

Even with that point, there's a lot of deathcore and metalcore bands further pusing the limits of their genre, just look at bands like The Faceless, BTBAM, ect. Metalcore and deathcore are nowhere near dead yet.

EDIT: and lol wtf TS? Black Tide's really lame, there's tons of bands better than them that play tr00 metal
love is love // return to dust
Last edited by tancanada at Jun 2, 2010,
That's why I said most. What he described is your typical mainstream sellout metalcore/deathcore band. Obviously there are great bands from both genres, although Faceless is Tech Death, albeit the core influence on their debut.
Free your mind and your ass will follow
The kingdom of heaven is within
Open up your funky mind and you can fly

Sumdeus
0_o This guys needs moar exposure to metal...

Bands like Sahg alone void this whole thread.
I am me. Live with it.
This is one of those times the words "lurk more" would have been of great help
i am the moonstar
For god's sake, TS, fuck off.

You obviously know f
uck all about metal, if those are your examples. Maybe before you start spewing shit, do just a wee bit of bloody research, will you, moron?
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.
Cauldron, White Wizzard and Portrait were made for you "zomg metl is ded bring back da 80s!!" knob-ends TS.
TS you obviously haven't looked very hard. For newer metal you mention Slipknot and Korn, and the two exceptions you mention are Black Tide and Lordi.

All of those bands are pretty much universally scorned by metalheads.
Go to the rec thread and ask for newer bands with clean singing and Priest / Maiden influence.. I'm pretty sure you'd be bombarded with bands >_>
well there is some of a thrash comeback, but that is probably the closest i can think of classic metal, I wish there was another age of NWOBHM tho
Eh.
Quote by Phoenix Reborn
Am I just a kid born in the wrong generation?

TS was born; born too late......
Quote by lights bane
Cauldron, White Wizzard and Portrait were made for you "zomg metl is ded bring back da 80s!!" knob-ends TS.

Ah here, Portrait are fuckin deadly! Agreed on the other two though.

This thread is as cringeworthy as a Curb Your Enthusiasm boxset. Thank fuck most of these idiots will get bored of metal at some stage, or at least what they consider to be metal.
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
Last edited by Stranglehold at Jun 3, 2010,
Quote by Himelnator
well there is some of a thrash comeback, but that is probably the closest i can think of classic metal, I wish there was another age of NWOBHM tho

Don't rule it out just yet! Who knows what the next few years will bring. It'll probably be called something else like... Newer Wave of BHM
Quote by rg_metal
I love to utilize furniture to achieve the desired penetration.

UGH!
taste
kaygade
Quote by Senor Kristian
Don't rule it out just yet! Who knows what the next few years will bring. It'll probably be called something else like... Newer Wave of BHM

Get with the times old man. It's Post-New Wave of BHM
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
We are going to start a new genre called post-core metal the lyrics will be farted.
Dark Forest, Portrait, Striker, RAM, Wolf, Atlantean kodex, Hospital of Death.

All relatively new bands that frown on your statement TS.

Then to top this off, theres all the brilliant albums still being released by older bands, and this is all just in the heavy/doom metal genre.
TS, this should be right up your alley:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emrBZZtGFgI
Quote by guitgrinder
Yep. I'm real mad. I got done havin some fun jammin w/ my band today, gonna have a Sloppy Joe dinner, w/ Tater Tots covered in chili, then my girlfriends gonna blow me tonight. I've got lots to be mad about!
Quote by The Frayed Ends
No.
Beat me to it by a long shot.

I reiterate: no.
If I took this cigarette and put it out on you...

...would you love me?
it is in no shape or form, dead. Ya moron.
Cette nuit j'ai rêvé que je mâchais ses yeux
Après avoir crevé par accès de furie
Ta replète panse d'helminthes blancs nourrie,
Trop prompte à déféquer le fruit d'un vit sanieux.
No, Iron Maiden and Alice Cooper are headlining Wacken this year. Metal Heads still love some Classic Metal. I know I do.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by Butt Rayge
It died and went to hell long ago.

And satan said it was too loud and sent it back.

That's pretty ****in' metal
Page 1 of 4