I'm getting my wisdom teeth removed in a few days and opted for nitrous oxide instead of a general anesthetic. Will I still feel pain or what? How well does it work? My doctor met with me for like 2 minutes and left so I have a lot of questions.
It took me forever to figure out that the little image beside "Slash" on UG's directory is a top hat.
MATTERHORN
Basically my take on nitrous is that it feels like there is a jet engine 2 inches from your face. In a good way. I haven't had any dental work performed while under the influence of it but I did fall down a flight of stairs at a cheap motel outside a Grateful Dead tribute band show and didn't feel a thing...
You can make nitrous oxide by dropping a penny into nitric acid... it pays to take notes in chemistry!
EDIT: OK DON'T TRY THAT it turns out my chem teacher was an idiot

Oh, and if you don't want anesthetic then I heard that hypnosis is the best dental pain killer. Try googling hypno dentistry.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Last edited by rgrockr at Jun 3, 2010,
Quote by rgrockr
You can make nitrous oxide by dropping a penny into nitric acid... it pays to take notes in chemistry!

::breaks piggy bank::

Now where can one find nitric acid? haha
When I had it done, it made me feel really drunk. I could feel pressure and feel that the dentist was removing my wisdom teeth, but I felt no pain during the procedure. It worked very well for me. If you have any other questions feel free to ask me.
Good luck man with the teeth pulling! It honestly is not as bad as people say it is!
Quote by TheAmericanRuse
When I had it done, it made me feel really drunk. I could feel pressure and feel that the dentist was removing my wisdom teeth, but I felt no pain during the procedure. It worked very well for me. If you have any other questions feel free to ask me.
Good luck man with the teeth pulling! It honestly is not as bad as people say it is!

Thanks man, sounds like this might be somewhat enjoyable lol.
Quote by rgrockr

Oh, and if you don't want anesthetic then I heard that hypnosis is the best dental pain killer. Try googling hypno dentistry.
NO. Nitric oxide =/= nitrous oxide. Take better notes.

When you drop a penny into nitric acid, you'll get nitric dioxide, NO2. Extremely posionous brown gas. Nitrous oxide is N2O. Big difference.
THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

Drive! Drive on down the field, men of the scarlet and gray...
I'm an
Engeneer
Enginere
Engenere
I'm good with math.

a0/2 + ∑ an cos(nπx/L) + bn sin(nπx/L)

ĤΨ(x,t) = iħ ∂Ψ(x,t)/∂t
σx σp ≥ h/2
Quote by Got Guitar?
NO. Nitric oxide =/= nitrous oxide. Take better notes.

When you drop a penny into nitric acid, you'll get nitric dioxide, NO2. Extremely posionous brown gas. Nitrous oxide is N2O. Big difference.

Well I hope it's not that poisonous because my teacher did that in class several times!
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
I opted for local anesthetic and nitrous oxide combined rather than general anesthetic. I was.... semi-conscious during the procedure; I felt no pain until the drugs wore off, and at that point I had my Vicodin in hand.

It was kind of neat being awake for the surgery.
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

Quote by John Frusciante
Music isn't the Olympics. It's not about showing other people what you can do with a piece of wood in your hands that has strings on, it's about making sounds that are good.
Quote by rgrockr
Well I hope it's not that poisonous because my teacher did that in class several times!

you now have 3 months to live. congrats
Quote by Wikipedia.org
These nouns are often used with a form of "to be" rather than "to have," e.g., "he is pwnage" rather than "he has pwnage". Either is a more emphatic way of expressing the simpler "he pwns,"
Anaesthetic is just as bad for you as nitrous. Either way your liver has to metabolize a foreign chemical. It will numb the pain and make you feel high or drunk it is also called laughing gas so if you do any drugs you'll have an idea how you will feel. You'll be able to feel pressure from the work being done but it will numb the pain.
Quote by rgrockr
I really hope your teacher did it in a fume hood.

However, you can make nitrous oxide via decomposition by slowly heating ammonium nitrate to about 180C. Although, from what I've read, this is rather dangerous since ammonium nitrate is an explosive. Heat it too much and BOOM!
THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

Drive! Drive on down the field, men of the scarlet and gray...
I'm an
Engeneer
Enginere
Engenere
I'm good with math.

a0/2 + ∑ an cos(nπx/L) + bn sin(nπx/L)

ĤΨ(x,t) = iħ ∂Ψ(x,t)/∂t
σx σp ≥ h/2
I had some minor dental work done under nitrous oxide.
I was like 9 or something, but basically I was giggling the whole time and didn't feel a thing.
Begin again in the night, let's sway again tonight.
Your arm on my shoulder, your cheek against mine.
Where can we go, when will we find that, we know.
You'll be fine, especially if you have a low tolerance to drugs, the drugs they give you afterwards can get you ****ed for a week, my brother was lol, pretty funny stuff.
Don't speed off after your appointment.
I had it two years ago but I can't for the life of me remember what it felt like.
I own an Ibanez J-Custom

I am Guitarnoob_100. Say hey

PSN: Whiski_Guy
Xbox Live: Chris2194

Steam: Galiathslay
Quote by Agithor
I'm getting my wisdom teeth removed in a few days and opted for nitrous oxide instead of a general anesthetic. Will I still feel pain or what? How well does it work? My doctor met with me for like 2 minutes and left so I have a lot of questions.
Yes. Without a doubt. Getting fillings done, even rather deep ones is still reasonable with nitrous. But having wisdom teeth extracted? Nah, man. It's gonna hurt like hell. Be sure to insist on serious drugs for later, or you will not sleep the first night. At all.

Of course, YMMV.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by Doctor Matthews
It took me forever to figure out that the little image beside "Slash" on UG's directory is a top hat.

I did not know that either.

TS, I've heard that it is good stuff. Maybe you should try it.

EDIT: When real cutting and stuff is involved, ignore my former opinion, ask for a tougher anesthetic.
Last edited by The_Casinator at Jun 3, 2010,

I had them knock me out completely.

If your wisdom teeth haven't broken through yet then they have to cut your gums open and break the teeth up into pieces. I can't imagine that being completely painless, even under nitrous oxide.
If you dentist offers you LOCAL anesthetic I recommend you take it. The affects will last longer than Nitrous Oxide. Don't go with General Anesthetic. Your dentist probably won't offer it to you, anyway. Plus, it's a pussy way to go. It really isn't that bad. The pain will only come about a day AFTER your teeth are pull, in which case the pain killer prescribed at the time of the surgery won't matter as much as the one prescribed after the surgery. I hope they give you vicodin
Quote by daytripper75

I had them knock me out completely.

If your wisdom teeth haven't broken through yet then they have to cut your gums open and break the teeth up into pieces. I can't imagine that being completely painless, even under nitrous oxide.

it was completely painless, until about 2 hours afterward
<//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\>
Smoke a joint before they give you the nitrous.

Trust me.
Catch me,
heal me,
Lift me back up to the Sun
I choose to live
Quote by rgrockr
EDIT: OK DON'T TRY THAT it turns out my chem teacher was an idiot

Oh dear. That can't have been healthy for him...
Quote by Agithor

It's laughing gas, you'll be so high off your tits you'll find pain funny.

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄