yo shadowz_fall here, the master of all the dumb questions in the world, so thanks to my crappy job (at least the pay's good ) i haven't really got a lot of time lately to pick up my guitar and practice, so since i didn't have work today, i decided to try if can learn the song i tired out a couple of days ago, and surprisingly enough i can play the whole song lol

i mean, i've spent hours before trying to practice a song i wanted to learn, only to discover that if i don't practice much i can learn it much quicker? is this some sort of a joke? seriously though am i missing something? what happened to practice makes perfect?
Quote by DeadSoloist
lol i have all the practice standing up when I used to play guitar hero 24/7 :P

Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
I don't care if you're joking or not.

Just no.

guitar skills are like gardening: you can water them each day with practice and eventually get better, but if you take a couple days off youll still have a plant. just dont get in the habit of not practicing on purpose, else you will lose skills.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
I do that with almost every challenging riff I try to learn.
I can be struggling with, and then sleep on it, and be able to play it perfectly the next day.
Guitar - Washburn X-50PROQ
Amp- Ibanez TBX15r (using to run my POD through)
Pedals - Line6 POD X3, Dunlop Crybaby Gcb-95
once you have perfected a song, then 9/10 you will remember it even if you don't play it for a bit.....but as was stated, don't think that you can leave it off for a long time and still be able to nail it
Unless you're playing Smells Like Teen Spirit or Bro Hymn, don't expect songs to stick with you. The more you practice, you'll find that you hands and fingers instinctively know how to get to the next sound.

KEEP PRACTICING!!
And thing about the music and how to play it, even when you're no where near a guitar
thanks for the replies guys, but i didn't mean that i learned a new song and then after a few days played it again, what i meant was i tried out a song couldn't get it right, then after a few days without practice, i magically play it correctly so should i just practice for 5 mins. and leave the rest to muscle memory? lol
Quote by DeadSoloist

Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Just no.

you always need to practice, or you wont beable to play harder songs than the one you just learned, if you dont practice you wont learn anything new therefore cant learn any new techniques. if you stop practicing then it becomes a bad habit, then your going to ruin your guitar playing, so just keep practicing and playing, im guessing you just had a really good day on guitar, i get that sometimes, sometimes i cant play anything well, sometimes i perfect techniques which i find REALLY difficult to play
@GlenGuitar16
yeah, i must be on a roll today, i finally nailed like light to the flies lol

thanks for the tips guys, gonna continue practicing then
Quote by DeadSoloist

Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Just no.

Quote by shadowz_fall
thanks for the tips guys, gonna continue practicing then

good, keep it up. don't stop. but here's something you'll want to keep in mind:

practice makes permanent. perfect practice makes perfect.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
you're not crazy or a 1 in a million case cuz i have the same problem. I practice religiously (every day at least 2 hours) and i don't seem to be getting much out of the excessive practice. I personally just love playing guitar though so it's more like fun and less like practice
You should practice it for like 20 mins, then take the day off or at least dont play it for another couple hours. Let it soak in.
When you play, you can't consciously think and remember all the notes you need to hit, that's why you need muscle memory. Go slow, practice perfectly over and over, and then let the soaking in begin. The next day when you play, your brain will use that muscle memory to repeat whatever you've practiced.

Quote by 420metalhead
you're not crazy or a 1 in a million case cuz i have the same problem. I practice religiously (every day at least 2 hours) and i don't seem to be getting much out of the excessive practice.

Perfect example that you don't need to practice several hours a day to advanced (though you can and it's fine). What you have to do is focus more on the quality of the practice rather than the duration of it. You can get a good practice in 10mins instead of noodling with a song for 2 hours.
Last edited by tenfold at Jun 3, 2010,
Practicing Moderation is oftentimes more helpful than Religiously slaving on the frets for 4 hours a day.
It's pretty normal - the effects of the practice take a little while to sink in and mature. The main thing to take from it is to keep practicing, and don't expect the results to come immediately, it takes a while for the marination to occur.