Page 1 of 2
1. What makes a person "intelligent"?

2. And does one have to be educated to be intelligent?

3. What forms of education have you had? (University, high school, home school, etc.)

4. What grade/year are you currently in? (If still in school).

Please answer without reading any other posts. Then after you have posted read what other people have said. I want to get as many opinions as I can without anybody being influenced by any other posts.

I will post my own opinion in a later post.
Last edited by JacobTheMe at Jun 3, 2010,
1. I think life experience is often times more important than something you learn from a book or teacher. That obviously isn't always the case though.

2. No, you don't have to be educated. I think education can help to refine one's intelligence though.

3. I'm a university graduate.

4. I'm done for now. I'll eventually go back for graduate school.
1) their ability to learn
2) no.
3) high school, some college
4) junior in college.
"There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness."
-Friedrich Nietzsche

e-married to zgr0826
i dont want to sound like a douche but i think rationality is a big part of intelligence, being in university i've had to listen to a lot of people who pretentiously ramble on without actually saying anything insightful
It's always the last day of summer and I've been left out in the cold with no door to get back in
1. to have knowledge about anything
2. no, as creativity is a form of intelligence, and it cant be "learned" through schools, work, etc.
3. high school
4. 10th

man i overthink things way too much
E-married to BlessedRebel15
Most Attractive Female 2011 ^^
Dark Black Rivers in the WinterTime
Quote by CrunchyRoll
I'm not sure if you're aware of this or not, but everything is against the rules at UG
Quote by JacobTheMe

3. What forms of education have you had? (University, high school, home school, etc.)

1. Making logical decisions in life.

2. No

3. Halfway done university

4. 3rd
Quote by bellamy_morello
i dont want to sound like a douche but i think rationality is a big part of intelligence, being in university i've had to listen to a lot of people who pretentiously ramble on without actually saying anything insightful

I know what you mean. I've noticed not only in literature and acting, but in common speech as well that the people that can sum up their thoughts in the fewest amount of words understand them the best.

Quote by :Vicious--
1. to have knowledge about anything
2. no, as creativity is a form of intelligence, and it cant be "learned" through schools, work, etc.
3. high school
4. 10th

man i overthink things way too much

I disagree, creativity can be learned. You might not learn it in a textbook, but you still have to learn about the different shapes, dimensions, and colors in all art.

Not to mention that I learned how to analyze things from various classes throughout school. I learned how to dissect phrases and words and think about how they mean. There is no way I would have that ability if I didn't attend school.

You honestly gave a very tooth-and-nails answer. So I wouldn't really say so about that last part.
Hard to explain. I feel like an intelligent person never tries to look intelligent. If they did, then they would be unintelligent.

No you don't have to be educated.
This is why I don't like arguing on the internet.
Quote by damian_91
If only you could back that statement up.
Quote by Zombee
Wolfgang's Philadelphia Study. Look it up yourself.
Quote by damian_91
No need to, absurd generalizations aren't my thing.
Intelligence means nothing in this world, the biggest idiot can be succesful. I'm not saying it's easy to be succesful, it's just more luck than education.

For example, astronauts have to be incredibly intelligent and have to risk to their lives in the name of science yet they will never get the same respect or fame as some hollywood actor who's rich and famous as hell just because he looks good.

A rather simplified and maybe exaggerated explanation but you get the point.
I'M A COWBOY
Intelligence is for me the ability to understand things, being educated sure helps altough I've met people who aren't educated and they're 10 times more intelligent that "smart" people in my school. I'm currently still in high school, on the highest level.
Quote by JacobTheMe

3. What forms of education have you had? (University, high school, home school, etc.

1. Well I consider intelligence a number of things. A large part of it centers around reasoning/logic, ability to see patterns, connections, paradoxes, organize thoughts, etc. Insight is also a large part of intelligence. Some people consider a "genius" to be someone who knows things that normally would have to be taught. I also believe emotional intelligence is crucial to overall intelligence. If you can calculate pi to a million digits but can't manage your own emotions and relate to others on that level, you don't have well rounded intelligence IMO.

2. No, intelligence is purely innate. All education does is supply the student with knowledge which he or she can apply intelligence to to use for whatever purpose. In fact, many of the world's greatest geniuses have been sub-par in school, for example Isaac Newton didn't even do his homework. People of true intelligence get bored with regular school. The Valedictorian and Saluditorian at my school weren't even that smart, they just busted their ass studying 24/7 and did every single homework assignment while subsequently acquiring no knowledge or wisdom of their own throughout high school.

3. I just graduated high school. I'm about to go to Uni.

4. ^^^ Yea
1. The ability to rationalize logically and understand creatively.
2. Not always in the form of reading text books or taking classes, but education in one way or another is usually required to be an intelligent person.
3-4. I'm starting my sophomore year at college in the Fall.
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
1. How well some one comprehends certain situations, and how well some takes in information and applies it.

2. To some extent, not exactly have a degree or some kind of certification, but some kind of development in life.

3. High School.

4. Senior in High School.
1) Broadly, I'd say it's the ability to understand difficult concepts. That's nice and succinct and fits in a single post.

2) Education isn't necessary, but I'd say it can help.

3 & 4) I'm currently at university (studying architecture, for the curious).

EDIT: Btw, I'm not a fan of Gardner's theory of multiple intelligences. IMO, its bottom line is that practically any valued skill can be called a form of "intelligence," which takes meaning away from the word.
No animals were harmed in order to bring you the above post. However, several photons were greatly inconvenienced.

ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNO-TOAD
Last edited by Quintessence153 at Jun 3, 2010,
1) the ability to reason, learn and understand.
2)no
3) HS and college
4)junior in college
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Follow me on the tweet machine. I tweet about interesting things like the weather and what I ate for breakfast.
1. The ability to learn new things quickly and apply them in real life - a combination of being "book smart" and "street smart" I guess

2. No, although I think being educated would improve one's ability to learn

3. High school

4. 11th grade (well school just ended, I'll be in 12th grade in September)
cat
Quote by loaded_
Intelligence means nothing in this world, the biggest idiot can be succesful. I'm not saying it's easy to be succesful, it's just more luck than education.

For example, astronauts have to be incredibly intelligent and have to risk to their lives in the name of science yet they will never get the same respect or fame as some hollywood actor who's rich and famous as hell just because he looks good.

A rather simplified and maybe exaggerated explanation but you get the point.

A bit off topic, but I consider physical appearance to be just as worthy an art form as music, painting, sculpting, or whatever.

Some people naturally look good (just as some musicians are naturally better than others), but they still need to "practice" and maintain their physical appearance through exercise, posture, charisma, and a bunch of other things. It takes a lot of work to make your hair perfect or apply the exact amount of make-up. Not to mention that anything to much could completely ruin the "art" of your beauty. (Such as cutting your hair a bit to much.)
Quote by guitarsftw
1. The ability to rationalize logically and understand creatively.

This should be the dictionary definition of intelligence IMO. Great job.
1. I think of it as an ability to learn. My brother even as an infant simply learned faster than most kids. He crawled, walked, talked, etc. a few months earlier than most kids including me and my sister. He's never really had any trouble understanding any subject in school, has a degree in mathematical science and has a very good understanding of physics, computer science, economics and philosophy. For me, he is sort of the definition of an intelligent person.

2. Nope, but it certainly helps people have intelligent thoughts and opinions on certain subjects.

3. Music major in community college. Should be transferring to a university soon. Can't decide if my major should be music performance or music composition. I'd rather be a composition major, but I'd get into school easier with a better scholarship if I auditioned as a performance major.

4. Graduated.
Quote by guitarsftw
1. The ability to rationalize logically and understand creatively

I like that, but I'd replace the word "rationalize" with "reason". I know what you were going for, but the word "rationalize" refers to creating plausible-sounding but false reasons for something in order to justify it. (E.g., a young couple rushing into marriage might rationalize it by saying they're doing it for financial reasons.) It generally has a negative connotation, at least in psychology.

Another interesting (imo) point, drawing from Myers-Briggs theory: Logic isn't as clear-cut as one might think. Thinking and feeling (in the MBTI senses of the words) can both be considered rational. For example, if Dr. House wants to produce the most utilitarian result, and Dr. Cameron wants the best result for all the people and feelings involved in a situation, can you say that one is more "logical" than the other?
No animals were harmed in order to bring you the above post. However, several photons were greatly inconvenienced.

Quote by JacobTheMe
I disagree, creativity can be learned. You might not learn it in a textbook, but you still have to learn about the different shapes, dimensions, and colors in all art.

Not to mention that I learned how to analyze things from various classes throughout school. I learned how to dissect phrases and words and think about how they mean. There is no way I would have that ability if I didn't attend school.

well i guess creativity can be learned but i meant the ability to make an actual painting, for example, isn't exactly learned. some may know everything about art but when it comes to actually making the art they cant. art comes from the creativity already within you like deciding what to draw, how you want it to look, etc. ultimately you make these decisions by preference which i guess kinda defines creatvity for me. i may be wrong though so dont go crazy on me.
E-married to BlessedRebel15
Most Attractive Female 2011 ^^
Dark Black Rivers in the WinterTime
Quote by CrunchyRoll
I'm not sure if you're aware of this or not, but everything is against the rules at UG
Quote by xaviergray
If we're going for semantics...

I'd define intelligence as a vast knowledge of a particular area.

Hypothetical situation: You know this guy who had a rough childhood. He never had much exposure to information or any form of education, and he is ignorant about a lot of things. Heck, let's say he doesn't even know his times tables.

But, then he goes back to school and starts to get his life on track. He picks things up incredibly easily, and there are some things that he intuitively picks up, almost without being taught.

Would you say that this guy has yet to become intelligent? Or perhaps that he isn't intelligent, but has more potential than others to become intelligent?

I'm not trying to be aggressive, so you know - I'm genuinely curious.

Quote by JacobTheMe
A bit off topic, but I consider physical appearance to be just as worthy an art form as music, painting, sculpting, or whatever.

Some people naturally look good (just as some musicians are naturally better than others), but they still need to "practice" and maintain their physical appearance through exercise, posture, charisma, and a bunch of other things. It takes a lot of work to make your hair perfect or apply the exact amount of make-up. Not to mention that anything to much could completely ruin the "art" of your beauty. (Such as cutting your hair a bit to much.)

Wouldn't the person who creates the physical appearance be the intelligent one then? and the person who creates it isn't necessarily the one who it belongs to.
cat
Quote by guitarxo
Wouldn't the person who creates the physical appearance be the intelligent one then? and the person who creates it isn't necessarily the one who it belongs to.

I am afraid that I don't understand what you mean.
1. Common sense, learns easily, knowledgeable about things, etc...

2. Yes, to a certain extent. They should have enough education to be proficient in basic Math, Language, History, and Science.

3. I've had Kindergarten, Elementary, Middle, and High school educations.

4. I'm graduating from high school tomorrow.
Quote by Tyler Durden
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.

Erowid
Warning, opinions ahead.

Ability to use logic and reason, ability to seek out facts. Ability to convey a point concisely. Ability to concede a held point when the evidence is against it, regardless of the ideal.
No, because "intelligent" is not an absolute, it is gradable.
Almost finished as an undergraduate at University
Inhuman evil take down!
1. I would say someone is intelligent if they have the ability to make valid deductions from known information and can learn from experience.

2. I would say no.

3. In Uni.

4. 3rd year.
Quote by neidnarb11890
the chinese take-out place my family always ordered from gave you chopsticks, so as a kid it was fun to try & eat with chopsticks
now i just use a fork, 'cuz nothing is fun anymore & i just want to shovel food into my mouth to fill the void
His/her lack of dearth of non-stupidity is what makes a person intelligent.
Quote by thanksgiving
I'm coming for you with a castrator!
You sick bastard.

Watch that video below

If this video reaches 1000 views before Christmas, I'll play with my titties on cam.

1. Their ability to use what they've learned to teach/do things.

2. Not necessarily educated within a school system.

3. Public school for a few years, mostly home-schooled, associate's degree, finishing a bachelor's.

4. Gonna start my senior year of college in August.
Schecter C-1 Elite-->BOSS ME-20-->B-52 AT100 2x12

Quote by laid-to-waste
Extremely attractive woman.
extremely attractive
oh baby
EDIT: you're a guy. shit.
...an extremely attractive guy.
extremely attractive
oh baby

E-Paramour of Andrea55
1. The general ability to get by in day to day life without confronting any challenges or difficulties that cannot be overcome.

2. I'd say so.

3. High school.

4. Currently in first year university.
Last edited by tyler_j at Jun 3, 2010,

The ability to think of what to do in certain situations, in day to day life, and in specific situations.

One does not have to be educated to be intelligence. Knowledge =/= intelligence.

High school, generic schooling up until now.

I'm a junior, second to last year of high school.
An Augmented 4th or a Diminished 5th?

Quote by I.O.T.M
You, fine sir, have impeccable taste.

Ahhhh Yuck Fou.

The ability to deduce things for oneself, willingness to learn, understanding of logic and skills. A general aptitude for learning.

No, definitely not. Education helps a lot, but intelligence i believe is learnt from experiences as well as being slightly innate.

I am in my last year of 'High School' looking to go to University next year.

Y13
Quote by JacobTheMe

1: A well connected brain.

2: No, but it does help to stimulate/activate intelligence.

3: High School, uni drop-out.
PPPPPPPOSTFINDER
In my opinion intelligence is being able to quickly understand things to the point where you can explain the concept to anyone.

No, one does not have to be educated. A proper education is a good thing to have though, it certainly doesn't hurt.

High school.

U of T come fall.
Quote by JacobTheMe

Please answer without reading any other posts. Then after you have posted read what other people have said. I want to get as many opinions as I can without anybody being influenced by any other posts.

I will post my own opinion in a later post.

1)Ability to learn and understand concepts/processes and solve problems.
2)It helps but you can be intelligent without being educated. Depends on what you mean educated. I think you can be intelligent without being knowledgeable. I think education should help people become more intelligent, it's just that's not really what our education system focuses on.
3)State comprehensive high school, part way through uni.
4)Just finished second year of uni.
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
1. What makes a person "intelligent"? an ability to reason and problem solve with ease.

2. And does one have to be educated to be intelligent? It helps a lot to be educated.

3. What forms of education have you had? High school, now in first year of college.
4. What grade/year are you currently in? look at the answer above.
2010's Sexiest Female Uger

Quote by JacobTheMe

1) Being able to survive or adapt in any given environment/situation. Whether it be manipulating people for your own needs, surviving in an unfamiliar environment or simply having the knowledge to make it in a certain job.

2) Nope, but it certainly would help in certain situations

3) Secondary school but I look into things that interest me in my own time

4) I'm 19 and finished school last year
1. Text book definition talks about cognitive processing (verbal comprehension, perceptual reasoning, working memory, etc.) And a lot of IQ tests simply use this individual processes to determaine a score without looking at anything else. I think this covers intelligence, everything else can be considered other skills or 'wisdom'.

2. No, a person can be intelligent without being educated. Education is a good way to facilitate the devlopment of intelligence.

3 / 4: Currently in third year university (doing psych funnily enough). Completed year 12 at a public school.
1. The ability to learn and understand information, as well as being able to use reason. Anyone can just memorise facts, but they need to be able to understand them and use reason to understand other things in order to be intelligent. I hope that made sense.

2. No.

3. High school.

4. Just finished first year of university.
Page 1 of 2