I don't want to spend more than maybe 5-600 dollars. I have to sell another of my guitars before I can buy, too.

These are the specs I really want:
White finish
preferably set neck (will take bolt on)
either Hard tail or some sort of floyd rose
strat-guitar shaped (basically, not bc rich styled.)
I'd prefer something that either has seymour duncans stock or a guitar made for 2 passive humbuckers.
nothing with 2 truss rods
overall, versatile.
7 STRINGS. Not 6, not 8. 7.

Basically, I want this guitar.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360258373710&rvr_id=&crlp=1_263602_263622&UA=WXS%3F&GUID=7bb148d91230a04371921f62fff877bc&itemid=360258373710&ff4=263602_263622

Only I would prefer it wasn't ibanez, Schecter, or Agile.
What are my options?

What I want to do with the guitar - Basically, I play 2 main geres of music: Progressive metal (sometimes fades into deathcore) and jazz. So I need something that can chug out some low notes in good clarity, something that i can shred on (well, what i call shred), then something that sounds good on the clean channel too. I know a lot of that has to do with pickups, but building materials are involved, the shape, the best possible set-up, are all involved.

If I don't have any options currently, I will save up. I don't like spending more than 1000 or so on a guitar, because a lot of guitars I get I end up not liking. If it's a cheaper guitar I don't like, its not that big of a deal. But if i spend 1700 dollars on a guitar and end up not liking it (which has happened), im kind of screwed.
Ibanez S7521qm 7 string
Ibanez S771pb
Fender Jaguar HH Special
PRS SE Custom 24 7 string
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Schector (spelling?) Hellraiser. That's the only one I can think of off the top of my head around that price range.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
as i said, I prefer it wouldnt be schecter. I've owned 2 schecters and didn't like either one
Ibanez S7521qm 7 string
Ibanez S771pb
Fender Jaguar HH Special
PRS SE Custom 24 7 string
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
get stock carvin 7 string. or a custom carvin 7 string custom. they are amazing.

if your looking to spend 600-700, try agile interceptors!!!(i think thats what they are called)
Classical Guitarist
Ack, sorry I jumped the gun on your post. All I seen was 7-string and your price range. ADD like that.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
I think you may just have to give up on the white finish. Very few 7-strings are made in any colour other than black, sadly.

The first thing that springs to mind is Carvin. Problem with that is they're going to be right at the top end of your budget and you can't really try one before you buy it.
The thing is, if you don't like Ibanez, Agile or Schecter (and by proxy of that, ESP since they have virtually the same necks and are all-round 99% the same as Schecter)... well you just counted out every 7-string guitar that costs under a grand. The only others I can think of that aren't any of those brands and that are in your price range would be the old Squier and Epiphone 7-string Strats and Les Pauls, one of which is terrible quality and the other isn't the style you want.

The only thing I can think of that isn't utterly shit but doesn't break the bank either is the LTD MH-417. It's an ESP/LTD so it does share a lot in common with Schecters, it's got a satin black finish which is obviously quite the opposite of white and it has active pickups (through bear in mind active pickups were first intended for jazz - they can get incredible cleans if you know what you're doing with them and if your amp is any good). It's also at the top end of your budget. So on many levels that is unsuitable, but that and the Carvin guitars are literally the only seven string guitars you're going to find in your price bracket that aren't from Schecter, Ibanez or Agile (or that aren't plain shit like the Epis and Squiers).

Seven strings aren't common and they're not cheap. If you intend to play on a seven string a lot you need to either be willing to compromise and try out guitars that don't meet your precise spec, or you need to at least be prepared to spend a lot more and just put up with the fact that seven strings are going to bankrupt you if you want one that is worth a damn.

All that said, I don't know how you could spend over a grand on a guitar then "end up not liking it". If you're spending that sort of money on a guitar without trying it out first... well then you're a loon, to put it quite bluntly.

Edit: I forgot, Jackson make a small number of seven strings. Apparently they're not so great though, and if you don't like Ibanez or Schecter then you won't like Jackson, their necks are right in between both brands.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Last edited by MrFlibble at Jun 3, 2010,
Schecter Jeff Loomis (or Hellraiser c-7) if you like EMGs - fixed or floating bridge.
Schecter Blackjack ATX if you like SD Blackouts.
My friend said he really like the Schecter Damien Elite 7. I have no experience with it.
My Ibby 7321 is usable with a pickup swap. There are obviously quality issues with it, but a very usable 7 string, especially if you don't want to break the bank.

I would try out as many as you can, since you sound like you are particular about your guitar. Schecter, Carvin, Ibanez, and ESP are my suggestions for guitar brands to try out. Not that I'm the wizard of gear though lol.
You guys should really read the OP.
He said no schecters.

Having said that though, OP, you knocked out 3 major brands that UG prefers in regards to 7-strings.
Quote by rtfk101
either Hard tail or some sort of floyd rose

Lol what?.. so no Fender or Bigsby then?
Quote by rtfk101
Only I would prefer it wasn't ibanez, Schecter, or Agile.

You said you've had Schecters and don't like them but why not Ibanez or Agile?

Then one you linked to in the OP is clearly the perfect option here.
I scored a Fender Stagemaster 7 on the 'Bay that was fairly beat up for around $150. Stock pups weren't terribly good, but they were better than the Dimarzio New7s that someone from SS.org sent me (at least the bridge pup was). I put some 707s in it (although this requires routing I used a drill press and did it ghetto-style; I don't care since it was a beater guitar anyway) and some locking Schallers. In the end it cost me $300 but it's pretty killer. It's solidly constructed and has a good neck profile. I'm considering refinishing it pretty soon.
Steinberger GU/Spirit w/ Moses Graphite neck, EMG 81-85
"Fireball" Pacer/RG hybrid

Furman Power Conditioner
Axe-Fx Standard
ART SLA-1
Yamaha S112V
Peak FCB4N
You're limiting your options by excluding, basically, the three major brands for seven string guitars. Only think I can think of is a Dean RC7X, but you'd spend some extra money
Gear:
Electric
2008 Epiphone G400 Heritage CherryFUBAR
2008 Ibanez GRG 170 DX
2009 Cort KX1Q
2011 LTD H 351 NT
Randall RG 50 TC
Ernie Ball 11-54
Acoustic
Dean Markley
Dunlop 10's
You could pick up an Ibanez RG1527 for that much. They came in white, with a maple board. You might have to go used but you could get one in really good condition for that much.
Quote by littlephil
You could pick up an Ibanez RG1527 for that much. They came in white, with a maple board. You might have to go used but you could get one in really good condition for that much.

What about the JP7?

What about it? You'd be hard pressed to find a JP7 for $1000.
EDIT: I also just reread the OP, his budget is only $600. Well the 1527 is out of the question then, maybe a 7620 though.
Last edited by littlephil at Jun 3, 2010,
I may have a NGD soon too. *coughJP7cough*

hmm....

on a serious note,whats wrong with ibz's?to the OP

Only I would prefer it wasn't ibanez, Schecter, or Agile. What are my options?
Last edited by archenemyfan at Jun 3, 2010,
the Ibanez RG7321, http://www.ibanez.com/ElectricGuitars/model-RG7321 first 7 string and i love it has a really nice neck too its in the price range that you are looking at too, i understand this post is like two years old lol but i just wanted to put some input in case anyother people stumble appon this thread for answers
I dont know if they have it in white, but the Washburn WG587 (hardtail) or WG587V (floyd) might be a good deal. I have one and it plays pretty nice, and I got it for dirt cheap, so you could always spend the extra money on better pickups or even a paintjob if you are realy stuck on having a white guitar.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Dean-Vendetta-VNXM-7-String-Electric-Guitar-104911144-i1399888.gc with the extra money you dont spend on a nicer guitar, you could put EMGs in that bad boy and get yourself a nasty sounding guitar ...or give in and buy an ibanez...id prolly go for the ibanez. lol
My Gear
Schecter Omen 6
Gibson Les Paul Studio Silverburst
Peavey Classic 50 Combo amp
Korg Pedal Tuner
Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde
MxR Fullbore Metal
Vox Time Machine
ISP Decimator
Ernie Ball VP Jr.