Page 1 of 2
So basically, I got some tickets to a iron maiden concert and I was wondering if I should wear some ear protection because according to my dad who got the tickets, I'm going to be extremely close to the stage. I was wondering if I should wear something to protect my ears, because I want to keep my hearing for a few more years.
I'm really debating it with myself though because I think I messed up my hearing when

I saw my friends concert because I can't hear as well in my right ear as my left anymore (only noticable with headphones)
But at the same time I don't want to spoil the concert.
Last edited by zomgguitarz1234 at Jun 3, 2010,
Yes.
Last edited by Gyroscope : Tomorrow at 01:00 PM.
Yes take it from me I was always the one that never wore it and turned out fine but after one show I went to where I was front row without it I now have permanent ringing in both my ears.
I usually bring it with me (or at least paper tissues) and then see how loud it is and decide there (eg: is it too loud to even hear whats going on, or is it just one night to away, or is it a 3 day festival where I'm going to be ****ed by the end in any case)
Alright, can someone shoot me a brand that wont mess with how the show sounds too much, but will save my hearing a bit, and don't cost a fortune (like those custom fit musician earplugs)
If you have an outdoors type store, Bass Pro, Gander Mountain, Dicks, stuff like that, get some foamy ones for shooting. They're cheap and work really well. They should have some reusable ones too for a few bucks more. I got some for about $8 that work great...not sure where they are though otherwise I'd have a brand.
Peltor Combat Arms Ear Plugs...that's it. Two ends, two different types of noise cancellation. I do a lot of shooting and they rock.
Yes. Order these - plus they come with a case so you can put them on your keychain. As a music student I play in close proximity with some pretty loud drummers so I always have them on me.

http://www.amazon.com/ETYMOTIC-RESEARCH-ER20BP-Fidelity-Plugs/dp/B000CC1RPS/ref=pd_cp_e_1
Quote by guitar_god22

thats about south africa tho...which isnt poor at all.
Quote by RyanInChains9
yea venezula is just the richest country in the world...
You won't need it. Iron Maiden isn't going to play a shitty venue that's too small for how loud it is. I would only ever consider earplugs seeing a huge band in a 500 capacity building, but I still wouldn't because they're for pussies. Note: I still have a slight ringing in my ears from a show like that 5+ years ago, and I don't regret it.
It won't mess up the sound of the concert either. If you have earplugs with around 30 dB reduction, it'll probably still be around 90 or so dB which is about the level where you start to get hearing damage anyway.

EDIT:
Quote by cvr666
You won't need it. Iron Maiden isn't going to play a shitty venue that's too small for how loud it is. I would only ever consider earplugs seeing a huge band in a 500 capacity building, but I still wouldn't because they're for pussies.

And don't listen to this guy. He's gonna have fun calling everyone pussies when he can't hear the high end of a piano by the time he's 40. Although he's probably not planning on living that long because he's SO FUCKING RAW!!!!
Last edited by TheChaz at Jun 3, 2010,
Just get some standard foam ones. I saw Slayer and Marilyn Manson a few years ago and I used them during Manson's set since I really didn't want to see him anyway. The music still sounded fine (as far as the actual sound quality anyway), it just wasn't as loud.
Quote by cvr666
You won't need it. Iron Maiden isn't going to play a shitty venue that's too small for how loud it is. I would only ever consider earplugs seeing a huge band in a 500 capacity building, but I still wouldn't because they're for pussies. Note: I still have a slight ringing in my ears from a show like that 5+ years ago, and I don't regret it.

♪♫♪
92% percent of the teen population would be dead if Hollywood said it wasn't cool to breathe anymore.
Put this in your signature if you are one of the 92% who wouldn't be breathing.
Quote by cvr666

well arent you MR. MACHO! us earplug users who have preserved their hearing and can still enjoy listening to music AND performing music will still be able to...you on the other hand will be left doing this constantly....HUh??? What???? what do ya mean the TV is too loud! i can barely hear IT!
Too be honest, when I made this thread I was slightly afraid I'd get posts saying "Earplugs are for pussys" like cvr666 did.

Thanks guys btw.
Quote by cvr666

Being deaf is for bigger pussies. Also, that being the case, then you sir, have tinnitus. You should see a doctor about that.

Anyway, TS, yes. I'd rather experience hundreds of pretty good concerts rather than three or four awesome concerts over my lifetime. On top of that, if you're going to look me in the eye and tell me that the thought knowing your eventual children(If you plan to have any) are saying "I love you, daddy!" but never being able to hear them is worth a few concerts at full-blast, then you depress me.

Also on top of all that, as I often say, a deaf musician is a useless, out-of-work musician. You're not Pete Townshend, you can't get by on fame and songwriting, and you're not Beethoven, you can't get by on powers of musical awesome. For 90% of us, we go deaf, that's it, out musical work's done.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Interestingly enough concerts can sound better with ear protection. The foam helps filter out other less loud noises such as the cheering of the audience and also the echo of the band. You will also end the night with out that ringing that anyone who has been to a concert knows about.

A good fact that every one on UG should know is that hearing loss due to loud noises never actually gets better. So always always ALWAYS protect your ears. The thing is people will swear that their hearing has not lessened. in truth the change can be gradual enough that a person does not notice.
Last edited by Zayrank at Jun 3, 2010,
Definitely get ear protection. I have tinnitus from going to too many concerts without and it sucks. Not only do I have the ringing but my normal hearing is not as good.
Normal ear plugs work but you can get ones designed for concerts and stuff like these
http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Hearos-High-Fidelity-Ear-Filters?sku=421214
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Quote by cvr666

You're an idiot. You can't be that big of a music fan if you're content ruining your hearing to avoid being a "pussy".
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Quote by whalepudding
You're an idiot. You can't be that big of a music fan if you're content ruining your hearing to avoid being a "pussy".

Agreed.

Tinnitus is a bitch, and is never worth it. End of.

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
i use these things called "hearos" when i play live they arent ear plugs they are filters, they take the edge off the sound so your ears arent injured but they also filter the sound properly so that every part becomes more distinct and easier to hear.
your a wreck, an accident, forget the freak your just nature, keep the gun oiled and the temple clean, shit snort and blaspheme, let the heads cool and the engine run, because in the end everything we do is just everything we've done.
-corey taylor
Quote by necrosis1193
Being deaf is for bigger pussies. Also, that being the case, then you sir, have tinnitus. You should see a doctor about that.

Anyway, TS, yes. I'd rather experience hundreds of pretty good concerts rather than three or four awesome concerts over my lifetime. On top of that, if you're going to look me in the eye and tell me that the thought knowing your eventual children(If you plan to have any) are saying "I love you, daddy!" but never being able to hear them is worth a few concerts at full-blast, then you depress me.

Also on top of all that, as I often say, a deaf musician is a useless, out-of-work musician. You're not Pete Townshend, you can't get by on fame and songwriting, and you're not Beethoven, you can't get by on powers of musical awesome. For 90% of us, we go deaf, that's it, out musical work's done.

Ive seen a doctor about mine and theres nothing they can do except tell you to get some niacin which may or may not help at all. If it does help its very little. Other than that theres hearing aid type things you can buy that produce white noise so you cant hear the tinnintus. But honestly ive had it for over a year and I barely notice it anymore, the only time I actually notice it is when I go to bed for the night. Even then I can still sleep every night and I sleep very well.

Sorry just saw that and had to speak from experience here.
You'll have to speak up a bit. Stop that mumbling and someone please turn off the ****ing whistle!
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Surprised hearing the reaction from musicians pro-earphones. If are honestly that worried about your hearing, then I guess yeah where them, but it'll take away from the music. Listening to music on headphones on high volume on a regular basis like all the people telling you to hear earphones probably do, will do more permanent damage then a concert every will. Depending on where you sit, the damage will most likely be temporary. When you get older, every part of your body deteriorates, so it's not like it isn't going to happen regardless.

I shall make an analogy. Athletes are dedicated to their sport of choice, and regularly put their bodies in harm's way and sustain injuries that will likely have life long effect. Musicians are no different, we generally have about half the hearing quality of a typical person. The point is, even if you have hearing loss at an older age, you're going to look back and say 'wow, I had a great time at that Iron Maiden concert (or whatever), I'm glad I lived for the moment..' So, I'm not going to tell you you're a pussy if you do, it's your own choice, but I personally never would, unless of course it was a shitty band or I was seated directly next to a speaker.

And for the record my dad worked as a sound technician for rock bands for 40 years, which consisted of him sticking he's ear directly into the PA in order to get the best sound for the band (again sacrifice for you're dedicated to). and to this day he has slight hearing loss, but it does not in anyway effect his daily life or his relationships with other people.
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
Last edited by Wiegenlied at Jun 3, 2010,
I got tinitus BEFORE playing the guitar or going to concerts. Saved me the trouble of worrying about it I guess.

Now if I go to a concert I wear earplugs.

Time on earth is like butterscotch; you really want more, even though it will probably just make you ill.

Certified lurker
I've never worn earplugs to a concert, but I dont exactly go to one every night or anything. I can hear a slight ringing in my ears when everything is dead silent but thats about it, but I'm thinking about getting plugs for future shows bc the ringing after concerts shits me to no end.

So yeah, get earplugs. The few years of hearing you'll save wearing them is worth it.
I have tinnitus.

Yes, you HAVE TO wear ear protection.
---

"L'esclave parfait est celui qui croit être libre."

---
Quote by K Dizzle
One concert probably won't hurt you. I was fine after being in the front row at a Metallica/Machine Head concert, and several other smaller concerts in the front. If you're worried about it though, I'd bring some. It'll be plenty loud to hear over the ear protection.

Wear ear protection! He's shitting bullshit on you; he was just lucky!
I had tinnitus for a week after the first "real" show I attended, therefore I will always use ear protection the next times I am going to a gig.

Quote by Wiegenlied
Surprised hearing the reaction from musicians pro-earphones. If are honestly that worried about your hearing, then I guess yeah where them, but it'll take away from the music. Listening to music on headphones on high volume on a regular basis like all the people telling you to hear earphones probably do, will do more permanent damage then a concert every will. Depending on where you sit, the damage will most likely be temporary. When you get older, every part of your body deteriorates, so it's not like it isn't going to happen regardless.

(...)

And for the record my dad worked as a sound technician for rock bands for 40 years, which consisted of him sticking he's ear directly into the PA in order to get the best sound for the band (again sacrifice for you're dedicated to). and to this day he has slight hearing loss, but it does not in anyway effect his daily life or his relationships with other people.

People are different; my twin brother has some kind of permanent tinnitus after his first attended concert, while my little brother has none after listening to music on headphone with close to 100 % sound volume on his iPhone, and damn, they're ****ing loud!

And regarding the athletes comparison, you can at least prevent tinnitus by wearing ear protection.
And why the hell should we sacrifice our hearing, when we can prevent it without ruining the experience of listening to music? I am dedicated to music, but I still like being able to hear music, how come?
ERROR 0x45: Signature not found
Last edited by sfaune92 at Jun 3, 2010,
Quote by Zeppelin256
Yes. Order these - plus they come with a case so you can put them on your keychain. As a music student I play in close proximity with some pretty loud drummers so I always have them on me.

http://www.amazon.com/ETYMOTIC-RESEARCH-ER20BP-Fidelity-Plugs/dp/B000CC1RPS/ref=pd_cp_e_1

This is a great pair of earplugs which would last you a long time. However, if you're planning to go to a show, try and get some cheap, foam ones. These earplugs have the ends sticking out and would hurt if you got hit in the ear. Also, foam ones are extremely cheap so if it falls out, it wouldn't matter.
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
Yes. Still being able to hear later in life is always a good thing. I've worn them to a few concerts... But forget them most of the time.
Quote by cvr666

Now this is a man who values his hearing.

Yes, wear little in-ear protectors, you'll still hear the concert just fine, without the painful ringing a few days after. That and personally, I prefer the sound through earplugs, it takes away any scratchy notes, feedback and just cleans the sound up.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Yes you should always wear protection, or else you might get hearing aids.
Quote by Wiegenlied
I shall make an analogy. Athletes are dedicated to their sport of choice, and regularly put their bodies in harm's way and sustain injuries that will likely have life long effect. Musicians are no different, we generally have about half the hearing quality of a typical person. The point is, even if you have hearing loss at an older age, you're going to look back and say 'wow, I had a great time at that Iron Maiden concert (or whatever), I'm glad I lived for the moment..' So, I'm not going to tell you you're a pussy if you do, it's your own choice, but I personally never would, unless of course it was a shitty band or I was seated directly next to a speaker.

Wtf? It's not like earplugs completely block out the sound of the band, they don't take away from the overall impression of the concert, they just prevent you from becoming prematurely deaf. Sure, it might happen anyway, but why the flying fuck let it happen?
Quote by Wiegenlied
When you get older, every part of your body deteriorates, so it's not like it isn't going to happen regardless.

You're going to die one day, on this basis, you'd be cool if I shot you.

And my dad works in engineering, and is required, not advised, required to wear ear-protectors when in the factory. Now where he works isn't that many Db above some concerts I've been to. If you value your hearing, you'd wear ear-protectors to any decent sized concert. They cut down the noise by like 20 Db, which is hardly a massive loss, but it's a big enough drop to save your hearing, so why risk it? If you're a musician, then hearing has to be one of your most important sense. Wait no, for almost everyone hearing has to be one of the most important sense, only really behind sight and touch/thermoreception. Why would you want to risk it?
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Quote by Todd Hart
You're going to die one day, on this basis, you'd be cool if I shot you.

And my dad works in engineering, and is required, not advised, required to wear ear-protectors when in the factory. Now where he works isn't that many Db above some concerts I've been to. If you value your hearing, you'd wear ear-protectors to any decent sized concert. They cut down the noise by like 20 Db, which is hardly a massive loss, but it's a big enough drop to save your hearing, so why risk it? If you're a musician, then hearing has to be one of your most important sense. Wait no, for almost everyone hearing has to be one of the most important sense, only really behind sight and touch/thermoreception. Why would you want to risk it?

This.

Nowadays, musician earplugs are pretty high quality, they reduce the decibels and don't muffle the sound anywhere near as much as most people seem to think. And you don't have to spend an absolute fortune on them either, I have a perfectly good pair that cost me £7 about a year ago and they still do their job as good as they did when I first got them.
They're a decent investment and there's no good reason to not get a pair.

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
Page 1 of 2