hey pit, i'm just curious. is there any law in the U.S. that states that teenagers at the age of 18 have to enlist into the army? is it a compulsory thing? or there's an option to skip it.
Steve Vai rocks. His pinky is almost of the same length of an average 16 year old's middle finger.

I love Schecter
You are required to register for selective service (draft) when you are 18 but there's nothing forcing you to go into the military, even if there is a draft I'm pretty sure there's a way around it if you are in college or supporting a family
You have to register for the selective services at 18, but there's no draft and no forcing. I wouldn't be surprised if they started a draft again though.
If there was a full scale war, there would most likely be a draft.

But as of now, no.
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
ya everyone signs that thing, and there hasnt been a draft in a long time, but in the event an all out war breaks out...well as a US citizen they have your name incase they need to call ya! when that happens ya have to man up and well....GET IN THAT TRENCH PRIVATE!!!

BUT!!! according to that Wiki, if ya change your sex.....ya dont have to register:P
Last edited by WaltTheWerewolf at Jun 3, 2010,
Quote by gisobon
hey pit, i'm just curious. is there any law in the U.S. that states that teenagers at the age of 18 have to enlist into the army? is it a compulsory thing? or there's an option to skip it.

Ok.... do you know people who are 18 and not in the military? There you go.
Even if there is a draft once I am old enough to sign up for it I'm exempt from actually joining the military.
Quote by Tyler Durden
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.

Erowid
just the selective service thing, I didn't even know about it till I got a letter in the mail saying I was registered.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
It's not compulsory, it should never be compulsory.
There should also be a law that states that you bastards kill the enemy, not your allies.
They made me do push ups in drag

I'm gonna have a really hard time if we're both cannibals and racists.

Don't dress as a whore, he'll thump you.

I'm a firework, primed to go off
Quote by gisobon

Unless there's a crisis and they need to start drafting people into the military, you don't have to join.

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
You're required by law to sign up for the selective service at 18 then you have to pray no one elects a Wilson, "Dubya", or LBJ until you're 25. I have heard that things like flat feet exempt you from the selective service or at least make you a less attractive pawn. You're also required to take some type of standardized test for the military when you're a junior in high school.... i believe it is called the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery. My best advice to you would be to intentionally bomb it. I got a perfect score on it and the recruiters hounded me until the hurricane came through in '05, then i guess they just assumed i was dead.
Quote by Second Rate
You're required by law to sign up for the selective service at 18 then you have to pray no one elects a Wilson, "Dubya", or LBJ until you're 25. I have heard that things like flat feet exempt you from the selective service or at least make you a less attractive pawn. You're also required to take some type of standardized test for the military when you're a junior in high school.... i believe it is called the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery. My best advice to you would be to intentionally bomb it. I got a perfect score on it and the recruiters hounded me until the hurricane came through in '05, then i guess they just assumed i was dead.

hahaha nice nice that sounds good. but if there's a war ,i'm assuming we're screwed right?
Steve Vai rocks. His pinky is almost of the same length of an average 16 year old's middle finger.

I love Schecter
If it's not too much trouble here..... why are you folks overseas required to put in military service? Is it a population thing or something?
Quote by Second Rate
If it's not too much trouble here..... why are you folks overseas required to put in military service? Is it a population thing or something?

America is a fairly militaristic country.

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
Quote by Second Rate

Because we don't actually have rights.
Last edited by Gyroscope : Tomorrow at 01:00 PM.
Quote by osXtiger
America is a fairly militaristic country.

In the foreign policy department, yes.... Unfortunately the wilsonians won that battle.
Quote by Second Rate

yeah for the asvab i had to take it about a month ago, but i told the army guy to go f#$% himself and i got to sleep and listen to my ipod for the rest of the class.
america says it is the best at all military crap and thats just not true, the only thing the u.s. has going for it is the airforce. britain has the best navy and china/russia have the bigest armies
Quote by danielgoodwill
america says it is the best at all military crap and thats just not true, the only thing the u.s. has going for it is the airforce. britain has the best navy and china/russia have the bigest armies

Relevant post there, mate.
oh my god, the ignorance in this thread is overflowing.............
1-not gonna be a draft unless its WW3.....your boy Obama is adding troops to Afghanistan and enlarging the Army, GWB set the withdrawel timetable from Iraq.

2-you gotta sign up for selective service, not a huge deal

3-FORCED to take the asvab? never heard that in my life

4-just because China and Russia have larger standing army, does not mean they are better, American troops are much more disciplined and morale is alot higher and they have much much much better equipment, most of China/Russias tanks and arty are pre/early-cold war and half of them are not even functional. I know this stuff for a fact because I am here in Iraq with members of other countries armed forces.
Britians Navy cannot touch the US..they have what, 2 aircraft carriers that carry half as many planes as ours? The Harrier is not exactly an air-superiority fighter plane lol
I will say that the British SAS is top-notch

I have been in the Military for 9 years now, and have traveled all around the world, I can speak about this crap from experience.
RIP lowlife (fort wayne) the best crappy crusty punk band ever!
I turned 18 this year and I got a letter in the mail about selective service but I kind of skimped over it... I'm not really sure where it is (could be gone by now). Do I have to do anything or am I already registered?
talk to any high school guidance counselor, they should have the form to sign, actually I think you can register online now
Quote by danielgoodwill

hate to break it to you but america has the strongest navy. were the only nation that has super carriers and our submarine fleet has no equal. also just because an army is bigger does not mean its better. its easier more effective and cheaper to field a smaller number of well equipped soldiers than a shit ton of ill equipped soldiers.
Quote by Ignite
I turned 18 this year and I got a letter in the mail about selective service but I kind of skimped over it... I'm not really sure where it is (could be gone by now). Do I have to do anything or am I already registered?

I'd look into it. I'm pretty sure you can't get financial aid or use any other government-run programs without registering.
maybe if you had a
revolver
you'd
suck less

press
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B Areceive bacon

Gamertag: Seanslaught
PSN: BeastlyBassist
Steam: Beastly396
Quote by fivepointnine
The Harrier is not exactly an air-superiority fighter plane lol
I will say that the British SAS is top-notch

lightning 2 FTW. You have em to but yeah. Harrier is old hat.

EDIT: Also, just a thought but you message is the closest one I have seen to a govement troll.

Time on earth is like butterscotch; you really want more, even though it will probably just make you ill.

Certified lurker
Last edited by IYanoplathizoI at Jun 3, 2010,
I watched a Eurofighter typhoon land without landing gear...whoops