Page 1 of 2
The common guitar solo, the occasional drum solo, the rare bass solos, hell I think I heard a vocal solo on some down with the sickness song. Whats so great about them, honestly?

Sure they're cool if you're there live or something, or if its a instrumental song.
They really break the rythem for the song, at least for me, yet pretty much every song is required to have a guitar solo.

So why are solos so common and stuff, even though they usually break the rythem of the song and stuff?
Last edited by zomgguitarz1234 at Jun 3, 2010,
First off, down with the sickness is the name of a song, not the name of a band.

To answer your question though, it's mostly to show off these days, and because it's such a common and accepted form for rock songs. However, a solo done well does greatly enhance a song.
I like it when every element of a song builds to make it great. I am not a big fan of soloing one track out to be better then the others. Thats probably why I mostly listen to post rock and electronica. No solos there for the most part.

I also hate unnecessary things. Notes that don't truly do anything important or meaningful for the song make music feel bloated to me, and often guitar solos just wank and show off or are there because its obligatory, not because the band was trying to express anything with that solo more then the fact that they are badass, talented or w/e.
Their just a way for a musician to show off for the most part, though the good ones fit in as a natural progression of the song I find.

A lot of the bands I listen to don't solo a lot but when they do it's made to flow with the rest of the song so it sounds good.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Iron Maiden guitar solos fit every time. Jimi Hendrix you cant say his solos don’t fit the songs. John Entwistles bass solo in My Generation is perfect. Drum solos done right don’t break the rhythm of the song. Listen to the grate gig in the sky by pink Floyd I don’t personally like it but it fits and doesn’t break the rhythm. Alot of new bands these days don’t do guitar solos because the guitarists aren’t good enough.
I just looked at your faverit bands on your profile and you say its rear that you find a song were the solo fits. sad
I think a solo done right can enhance the mood of a song, when you don't have the ability to do it with the lyrics. I'm a poor lyricist, but I can take my solo and get that mood just right, and that's what I try to do. Sometimes the solo can even be used as the hook to introduce the melody.
My Gear:

MIM Fat Strat
Ibanez V70CE
Epiphone S-210
Danelectro '59 Factory Spec Reissue
Godin 5th Ave Kingpin

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (x2)
Crybaby 535Q Wah
Marshall Regenerator
EHX Little Big Muff
BBE "Supa-Charger" Power Supply
you need david gilmour
your a wreck, an accident, forget the freak your just nature, keep the gun oiled and the temple clean, shit snort and blaspheme, let the heads cool and the engine run, because in the end everything we do is just everything we've done.
-corey taylor
Sorry poor word choice when I say its rare to find one that doesn't break the rythem of the song. Really I'm just ranting about the ones that do, because usually I'll hear some song that sounds a certain way, and the solo completely sounds different and it really annoys me.
Quote by da_
Iron Maiden guitar solos fit every time. Jimi Hendrix you cant say his solos don’t fit the songs. John Entwistles bass solo in My Generation is perfect. Drum solos done right don’t break the rhythm of the song. Listen to the grate gig in the sky by pink Floyd I don’t personally like it but it fits and doesn’t break the rhythm. Alot of new bands these days don’t do guitar solos because the guitarists aren’t good enough.

Oh goodness...

It's a matter of subjective opinion. Some songs and compositions may benefit from focus on a particular instrument, whilst others may not. Some may benefit from the variation induced by a solo section, whilst others may not. Of course, the 'benefit' factor comes down to personalized taste, but it's important to understand ''why'' many artists choose to have those focal sections, if you will; for the sake of their composition in their eyes (though I won't argue the fact that there are other ways to do this besides introducing a solo).

A solo section doesn't necessarily need to be an extravagant show of skill, as seems to be the assumption - it may very well be a focus on one instrument marginally more than the others, to create contrast and interest in a piece of music (whether it's through embellishing melodies and harmonies, acting as a variation, starting a new section, amongst other things).

In the end, it can boil down to maintaining interest in the piece of music, and composing a solo or focusing on a particular instrument can induce and establish that, just as introducing a new section, or a variation, or any other form of change in a song can. There's a time and place for everything - and if not, there's always room to experiment - and that's why many artists choose to do them (and I'll add if not, it's purely and necessarily because they're ''not good enough'', which I found to be quite an arrogant - albeit, subjective - statement).

Alex
Last edited by juckfush at Jun 3, 2010,
Quote by griffRG7321
Because they are cool.

/Thread.

+4
Quote by dmtransmutation
What the Grunge-haters think is just mindless musical nonsense, in reality is the restoration of the old rule of harmony to not write an entire song in one tonality/key
Quote by griffRG7321
Because they are cool.

/Thread.

+5

But seriously, solo's done right are a great way to indeed "break" the rhythm so you cna either have a climax or a twist in the music. And don't blame it on the solo's man, most bands just downright suck at songwriting in general.
Quote by Freepower
I don't like the vast majority of guitar solos either, that's why I put work into my lead guitar practice.

You my friend get +5
My Gear:
JacksonStars KE TN-02
Jackson DK2M
Jackson WRXT
Jackson KSXT
Jackson DXMG
Jackson 7 String soloist

Ovation Celeberity
Pretty much, it's all been said, but, I can add my idea of why solo's :

Jimmy Page
David Gilmour
Jimmi Hendrix
Eric Clapton

Of course, tons more can be mentioned.... but these 4 epitomize soloing, and why it should be done. Take any of their popular hits, take out the solo like most of today's music.. and what.....

... sound of squealing brakes ensues, prior to an impact sound.....

Solo's became 'out of vogue' due to a few primary reasons.....

Record Companies, quite awhile ago, found out that it costs 1/10th or even less, to produce the rap, hip hop, and contemporary rock / pop, than it did the stuff from the 70's and 80's rock genre.....they eventually embraced the fact that it costs way less to produce, ala digital sampling... and the CD sells for the same amount it always did.....this set the stage for.........

..... less talented musicians, now armed with the internet, self producing, indie bands up the yahoo, the big record companies now fully into digital copy-and-paste production, means, these less than talented musicians don't have to learn HOW to solo, because 3 detuned, one finger, distorted chords, and a pouty, whiny, nasal voice, and you may have a hit......

Today's, and even most of yesterday's generation, grew up on this spoon-fed, lack of production, no musicianship involved 'pop' music........it's all you know. To grow up on the music of say the 70's, and 80's, where it's mainstream, well, unfortunately, today, YOU can't go there, so you may just not ever 'feel' why solo's do what they do for so many people.

Solo's added flair, taste, feel, emotion, pace, or change of pace, and much more to songs. They showed artistry, musicianship, accomplishment, interest in their own product........
its a mark of virtuosity

but that term has come to mean much less then what it truly does
My Gear:
JacksonStars KE TN-02
Jackson DK2M
Jackson WRXT
Jackson KSXT
Jackson DXMG
Jackson 7 String soloist

Ovation Celeberity
Quote by seymour_jackson
its a mark of virtuosity

but that term has come to mean much less then what it truly does

Maybe in the 18th century but not anymore.

Who the hell does a solo just to show off technical skill?
Quote by griffRG7321
Because they are cool.

/Thread.

i'd say he it the nail on the head, you don't see justin beiber using guitar solos, because he's not awesome enough.
Quote by griffRG7321
Maybe in the 18th century but not anymore.

18th century had virtuoso's and we don't? or we do and 18th century didnt?
My Gear:
JacksonStars KE TN-02
Jackson DK2M
Jackson WRXT
Jackson KSXT
Jackson DXMG
Jackson 7 String soloist

Ovation Celeberity
Quote by zomgguitarz1234
The common guitar solo, the occasional drum solo, the rare bass solos, hell I think I heard a vocal solo on some down with the sickness song. Whats so great about them, honestly?

Sure they're cool if you're there live or something, or if its a instrumental song.
They really break the rythem for the song, at least for me, yet pretty much every song is required to have a guitar solo.

So why are solos so common and stuff, even though they usually break the rythem of the song and stuff?

i dont follow your logic here. solos are just a form of expression really. imo, its the chance to create music on the spot (improv) and let out what ever is in you at the moment. i dont see how it breaks the rhythm of the song. sometimes maybe. if it does, the artist should know. ive created songs than i know wouldnt fit a solo well so i dont add one. if you are making a song, id say add a solo if it seems fit. dont just add one for the sake of adding a solo.

also, if you think every solo breaks the rhythm, you need to listen to better bands imo. ive heard plenty of songs that build to a solo and it fits well.
Quote by seymour_jackson
18th century had virtuoso's and we don't? or we do and 18th century didnt?

People in the 18th century were big on virtuosos. Going to concerts to see performers rather than the music.

When was the last time you saw someone shredding in the top 10 charts.
well lets not forget that those 18th century dudes were also composers.. which only video games seem to honor these days =/.. also to credit them, they didnt have the internet

but, Yngwie, Becker, Friedman, Lane, and now even Govan have or have had succseful careers.

Solos, in my eyes, is a method which a musician speaks, with his spirit, through his instrument using different techniques and what not.. Serve the song is always the #1 rule

If Justin Bieber ever soloed on an instrument.. that would be the greatest day of my career.. He would make me look so good
My Gear:
JacksonStars KE TN-02
Jackson DK2M
Jackson WRXT
Jackson KSXT
Jackson DXMG
Jackson 7 String soloist

Ovation Celeberity
Quote by zomgguitarz1234

Whats so great about anything?

Rather than getting hung up on questioning what already exists, why not just accept that it is what it is, and understand that you have the opportunity to do whatever you want with your own music.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jun 3, 2010,
Quote by GuitarMunky
Whats so great about anything?

Rather than getting hung up on questioning what already exists, why not just accept that it is what it is, and understand that you have the opportunity to do whatever you want with your own music.

But this. Completely.

Quote by kian89
to give a fresh start to the song so we dont get bored of the song ...

If you're getting bored when a song doesn't have a guitar solo then it's not a well made song.
Quote by griffRG7321
People in the 18th century were big on virtuosos. Going to concerts to see performers rather than the music.

When was the last time you saw someone shredding in the top 10 charts.

Probably Van Halen...sad...
Oh yeah.

Quote by hildesaw
A minor is the saddest of all keys.

EDIT: D minor is the saddest of all keys.
It sounds good?

I don't think it has anything to do with showing off, but whatever. It creates another line of melody, and helps make the song longer. The part of a real good rock song I enjoy the most is an intense solo
For me solo's are the peak of a song! Like a mountain, the song gradually builds up to it so that, if done right, it reaches that climax where the listeners emotions are at boiling point and a good guitar solo just gives you that orgasmic release~ to me there's just nothing better
Quote by griffRG7321
Because they are cool.

/Thread.

+5
Tick tock and waiting for the meteor
This clock is opening another door
Quote by Moander
Pretty much, it's all been said, but, I can add my idea of why solo's :

Jimmy Page
David Gilmour
Jimmi Hendrix
Eric Clapton

Of course, tons more can be mentioned.... but these 4 epitomize soloing, and why it should be done. Take any of their popular hits, take out the solo like most of today's music.. and what.....

... sound of squealing brakes ensues, prior to an impact sound.....

Solo's became 'out of vogue' due to a few primary reasons.....

Record Companies, quite awhile ago, found out that it costs 1/10th or even less, to produce the rap, hip hop, and contemporary rock / pop, than it did the stuff from the 70's and 80's rock genre.....they eventually embraced the fact that it costs way less to produce, ala digital sampling... and the CD sells for the same amount it always did.....this set the stage for.........

..... less talented musicians, now armed with the internet, self producing, indie bands up the yahoo, the big record companies now fully into digital copy-and-paste production, means, these less than talented musicians don't have to learn HOW to solo, because 3 detuned, one finger, distorted chords, and a pouty, whiny, nasal voice, and you may have a hit......

Today's, and even most of yesterday's generation, grew up on this spoon-fed, lack of production, no musicianship involved 'pop' music........it's all you know. To grow up on the music of say the 70's, and 80's, where it's mainstream, well, unfortunately, today, YOU can't go there, so you may just not ever 'feel' why solo's do what they do for so many people.

Solo's added flair, taste, feel, emotion, pace, or change of pace, and much more to songs. They showed artistry, musicianship, accomplishment, interest in their own product........

I'm gonna have to respectfully disagree. Since when does a song have to have a Jimmy Page solo in it to be considered a respectable work of art? Shit, what happened to good lyrics, good melody, or good songwriting in general? I totally agree that a good solo can greatly enhance a song, but just because a song doesn't have an awesome solo in it doesn't mean it's garbage.

And what's wrong with hits that use power chords and nasal voices? The beauty of music is that you DON'T have to be a virtuoso to write great songs. Anyone can do it.
Solos are so 'cool' because they are the performers interpretation of the music they are playing over top of. They are taking everything they are given and using all their musical knowledge to express the emotion the song conveys. Even if there is no music behind the solo, the note selection implies are underlining progression, or possibly drone. Either way, it's there, except you're not hearing it. Which is really, a phenomenal experience.

Vocal melodies are similar, they are basically a summary of the instrumental music, but since you are a capable of more on a instrument on your voice, they are oh, so much more possibilities. They are so many aspects of solos, that no one will ever be able to play the same way you do. That's what so special about it.
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
Page 1 of 2