Okay well I'm a good guitar player, but I've been told I am a bad ass bass player so I am considering switching since it would definately be easier to get into a band playing bass, anyway I want to play metal so a 5 string will be necessary maybe even a six. Could any of you recommend good gear for playing metal effects/pedals and the amps and well known guitars? I'm talking death/ tech death/ deathcore not nu-metal thanks in advance!
What's your budget (for the bass and the amp)? And do you have any preferences (neck profile, passive or active electronics, etc.)?
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
my budget is around 800 I'm thinking of trying to find a used ampeg combo if possible I dunno bout electronics
What currency? $, £'s, etc?
Shecter and Ibanez are given a lot of praise for metal/rock genres.
dollars Ya I think I am going to go with a schecter damein if it plays well I haven't tried it yet
Quote by Johnikker
dollars Ya I think I am going to go with a schecter damein if it plays well I haven't tried it yet

With that budget look into the Ibanez SR series also.

As for Amps, Acoustic's get a lot of praise around for quality amps on a budget.
Just avoid Berhinger.
with that budget you can get neck-thru Ibanez SR/SRX
RIP lowlife (fort wayne) the best crappy crusty punk band ever!
For an amp, I'd suggest looking at Acoustic (lots of power on a budget), or look around for a used Peavey or Ashdown.

As for basses, Schecters are great, but play before you pay. Schecters aren't for everybody, and just dont feel right to some of us. Other basses to check out: The Ibanez SR series, the Traben Array series, or a good 'ol MIM Fender Precision or Jazz bass. Don't be afraid to look used either

EDIT: Depending on how much you have left over, there are a few effects to consider as well. While effects are by no means necessary, there are a few common pedals to look into. Look into the Bass Big Muff Pi for fuzz (distortion), a lot of bassists only need that. The Sansamp Bass Driver is a DI box that can be quite a useful little thing (although its a tad expensive).
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Last edited by Tostitos at Jun 3, 2010,
Quote by Johnikker

Which dollars?
Twitter: ScottWotton
Tumblr: ScottWotton
YouTube: ScottWotton

3DS FC: 5043-1553-4655
Friend Safari: Rock type with Boldore, Pupitar and Barbaracle.

Wants his username as ScottWotton. >.>
I'd go with Schecter or Ibanez, especially the Ibanez SR's or the Schecter Stilettos. I have a Stiletto Elite and love it.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
yeah you really cant go wrong with either......for Amp, well I picked up a used Hartke head and scored a GK 410 on clearance at MF for cheap, less than 400 for the whole setup. another amp to look out for if you can find one is one of the old Peavey MK3 or 3 series.....they sound good, are simple and bulletproof and can be had for cheap
RIP lowlife (fort wayne) the best crappy crusty punk band ever!
ESP makes a wicked 5 or 6 string. I play a B-206SM myself, and it's a freakin' beast! Ibanez is another good brand. I believe that Necrophagists bassist uses an Ibanez, and they're tech death.

Either of those brands would give you an awesome bass for the genres your looking at. Try the F or B series from ESP. Any Ibanez suggested above would be well too.
Quote by JagerSlushy

Black people play bass.
Quote by isabiggles
Nevermind, that's a stupid pun for Australian pyromaniacs.
Just forget I said anything.

Quote by mac_attack
THE PURE SEXUAL THRILL!!!!
And stuff...

^^^
On playing bass.
Gear:
ESP B-206SM
Behringer BRX1800H
Acoustic B115
Asher Custom 2x10
I have both the Schecter stiletto and the Ibanez SR405 and I think that the Ibanez is better, and cheaper. Both can get almost the same sound but the Ibanez is much more versatile. Plus the Ibanez has a very thin neck (I don't know if that would be a plus to you, but it is to me).
Ibanez SR series are awesome for metal. Get SR-705 or SR-405 and you wont regret.
Metal is like a apple, no-one likes the core.
Quote by Johnikker
I want to play metal so a 5 string will be necessary maybe even a six.

Not at all. Plenty of metal bassists use four strings, it's down to personal preference, or maybe the tuning that you want, but Metal doesn't require 5/6 string basses. Have you ever played a 5 or 6 string? Because you may not like them over 4 strings.

Final question, what do you think that it is that makes you 'better' at bass? Is it because people think that you don't measure up to Slash, but you measure up to Duff McKagan? Because you may not actually be better at bass, just that people find guitar more impressive so you sound better at bass? It's kind of hard to explain what I mean so I hope you understand.

Just ask yourself; Do you think that you are better at bass, or are you just listening to other people?

Ibanez K5
Warwick Rockbass Vampyre 4

Line 6 Bass Pod XT Live
Epiphone Les Paul Custom