When recording, how do you go about muting the rest of the strings if you need an open one? Usually you'd tie something around the top of the neck so the open strings don't ring out at all, but several tapping sections I need to record use open strings.

How do I mute the other open stings, while leaving the one I need open?

There's probably a really simple solution to this, but I can't come up with it for the life of me. The best idea I've had is to get a friend to mute the strings I want silent with their hand. But that could be awkward, and I'm sure there's a much easier way.

Thanks!
You're = You are
Your = Belongs to you

There = Not here
Their = Belongs to them
They're = They are
Thx.

Quote by Tim the Rocker
Good grammar is like sex. It feels good.
mute the upper strings with the picking hands thumb and mute the lower strings by "resting" your left hands fingers on them
That would seem obvious, but my right hand is moving a lot to tap in different places, and it would mean my thumb slides up and down them, creating unwanted noise.

As for resting my left hand fingers on them... They're doing even more work than my right hand fingers, so that isn't really possible.
You're = You are
Your = Belongs to you

There = Not here
Their = Belongs to them
They're = They are
Thx.

Quote by Tim the Rocker
Im not sure I don't really tap so don't have this problem. I'm not really sure if it'll work but in many instructional videos I've seen the teachers have some sort of sweatband or cloth attached to the strings after the nut, I'm not sure if thats for a practical reason or if they simply feel like putting it on there :P
"I've Been Imitated So Well I've Heard People Copy My Mistakes"- Jimi Hendrix

We're born to lose, so live to win
Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
Im not sure I don't really tap so don't have this problem. I'm not really sure if it'll work but in many instructional videos I've seen the teachers have some sort of sweatband or cloth attached to the strings after the nut, I'm not sure if thats for a practical reason or if they simply feel like putting it on there :P

read the post before you comment :\
When tapping I usually mute the higher strings with my fretting hand index, lower with my palm.
You could always just record that part with only the needed strings on the guitar.
If you just need to play an open string just pick the string by itself... Otherwise learn some right and left hand muting techniques and yeh should be fine....
Freedom isn't free...

It costs like ten dollars a gram
try using scotch tape (the kind that doesn't leave sticky behind) on the strings that need muting. Tape them to the neck on the 5th, 7th, 9th, and 12th frets, so that you'll also block out possible harmonics.
Quote by jpnyc
You could always just record that part with only the needed strings on the guitar.

This.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
I don't like the idea of taking strings off my guitar just to record. I'll try the tape idea though, thanks.
You're = You are
Your = Belongs to you

There = Not here
Their = Belongs to them
They're = They are
Thx.

Quote by Tim the Rocker