1) is there any practice that would help at switching between chords? i always stumble when i try switching and i dont know whether its more my inability to switch or my strumming is bad.

2) can anyone point me in the direction of how to get better at strumming my guitar? (im just learning alternative picking if that helps).

3) also, how does one know how to play a song when all that is written on the chord sheet is the chords for the song. ive seen this tons of times and people comment that the chords are great, but when i try to play them, i cant get it to sound how i want it to go.

thanks for all the help in advance!

ive got guitar pro and guitar speed trainer, which ive been using to practice
To get better at switching between chords, practice. Practice your chords then practice switching between them. Walk, jog, then run.
1) Practice switching chords.
2) Practice stumming.
3) If you mean just playing the chords then you'll have to work out the strumming pattern by listening to the original song. If you mean you want the lead parts of a song, but you just have the chord sheet, you'll need to transcribe the lead or find a tab for it.
1) A good trick is seeing if you can leave fingers on the guitar or just shift them, rather than picking them up and moving them. (ie, from Am -> C you only have to move one finger. )

2) Try reading the main sticky here, it's got some stuff on strumming and rhythm.

3) Listen carefully to the original and the words and accents on which the chords change. If you can find the basic beat of the music the chords are probably changing every 4 or 8 beats, listen and try and work it out!
Also, if there's one switch within a progression that you can't nail, focus on that particular switch. For instance, if you're playing the intro to Hocus Pocus or Stairway To Heaven and you can't make the transition between the 3d and 4th chord, try to go back and forth between them. Don't strum them and completely ignore the other chords (in this example the 1st, 2nd, 5th, etc.) as these will only distract you from achieving your goal

The same goes for any difficult song > try playing it first, identify the "pain in the ass"-parts and practice slowly until you're confident enough to play it faster and eventually up to speed

/] 三方 [\
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Quote by Freepower
1) A good trick is seeing if you can leave fingers on the guitar or just shift them, rather than picking them up and moving them. (ie, from Am -> C you only have to move one finger. )

2) Try reading the main sticky here, it's got some stuff on strumming and rhythm.

3) Listen carefully to the original and the words and accents on which the chords change. If you can find the basic beat of the music the chords are probably changing every 4 or 8 beats, listen and try and work it out!

Ya , This
whatever it says ..lol.. cuz i havnt read it
thanks guys, ill try these.

so what im getting from all of you is to practice switching my chords faster and more consistently before trying to get my strumming up to par? or would it be smart to try and play the chords while im switching between them? though when i do that i feel like im going to fast when trying to switch and i just dont have enough time before my hand strums the strings.
Play them at the same time - that way you can tell if whether all the notes are ringing out clearly.

And don't focus on switching faster - don't even try to switch between chords faster. Focus on switching between them cleanly and accurately. After a while muscle memory will kick in and you'll start speeding up naturally.

You can try making up your own little songs too - pick a couple of chords you struggle to change between, and make up a songlet with them to practice switching between them without it getting too boring.

If you're struggling with a strumming pattern try practicing it with all the strings muted, then put the chords back in when you are a bit more confident. That way you get to practice the strumming pattern without it making unnerving noises when it goes wrong