I want to purchase a solid state or hybrid amp for some tex.-death metal and loud angry metal. I never played on a SS or hybrid before and everytime I check the forums about information on them all the gear they recommend was discontinued in the jurassic era. So could anybody recommend me some SS/hybrid amps, give me their pros and cons and explain wattage on them.
This should have been posted in Guitar Gear & Accessories
[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Better than my plan, look at those perfect little dick suckin' lips!
Kid's a natural I tell yah!Orange Rockerverb 50 MKII
Marshall JCM 900 SL-X
Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded
Fender Mexican Standard Telecaster
Hey I built a guitar
Hybrid amps use tube(s) in one section of the amp, but not both. The Marshall artist series used a SS preamp...going to an EL34 poweramp section. I have an AVT50 head that uses a preamp tube...with the rest of the circuit being SS. Vox VT series uses the same concept I believe.

Another example would be the Peavey Vypyr Tube series...SS/modelling preamp, going to a tube poweramp.
I heard the vypyr and IMHO it sucks. Lots of forums recommend a Peavey Supreme, Randall Warheads, Ampeg VH140s. Alas, all discontinued. The question is: are there any decent SS/hybrid amps out there and how do you measure loudness to wattage on SS/Hybrids compared to tubes.
Quote by Grimriffer
I heard the vypyr and IMHO it sucks. Lots of forums recommend a Peavey Supreme, Randall Warheads, Ampeg VH140s. Alas, all discontinued. The question is: are there any decent SS/hybrid amps out there and how do you measure loudness to wattage on SS/Hybrids compared to tubes.

Those three are great SS heads...and so is the Peavey XXL and most other SS Randall heads. Just because they're discontinued, doesn't mean you shouldn't consider them. Ebay and Craigslist is full of them. As far as loudness goes...that's debatable. Tube amps are perceived to be louder. But wattage is wattage. But one thing you will notice with the SS amp is that (in most cases)...if you crank it, it's going to sound worse. The clipping/distortion you get from a cranked SS is different than a cranked tube amp.

This thread begs the question: why SS or hybrid? Do you have a vendetta against all tube amps?
Like Skwisgaar once said: 'Because I ams a Toneschaser...'
I heard that good SS/hybrids can give me the 'no-shit-no-mercy' tone I want. Used is always an opption but I would prefer something new)
Quote by Grimriffer
Like Skwisgaar once said: 'Because I ams a Toneschaser...'
I heard that good SS/hybrids can give me the 'no-shit-no-mercy' tone I want. Used is always an opption but I would prefer something new)

They will definitely do that. I think you're on the right track with the VH140c. Try to track down a used one.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Quote by eyebanez333
Those three are great SS heads...and so is the Peavey XXL.
This thread begs the question: why SS or hybrid? Do you have a vendetta against all tube amps?

best hybrid i've ever played. (believe it has one preamp tube, i could be wrong) kills for tear your face off metalz.

nice cleans too.

and +1, why not all tube? a 6505+112 is really the standard for "budget" tube metal tone.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Jun 3, 2010,
Well I personally think that the 6505 is the most overrated metal amp head out there. It's sounds good and tight and stuff but I could really never understand what all the hypes about. In addition I dont really want to sound almost the same as a gazillion metalcore bands. I need something less whiny more brutal and harsh. Like a tone with umlauts if you get what I mean.
Maybe try some of the Dimebag Krank amps? He preferred SS amps for his tone, his new signature models are tube but based off SS sound.
Quote by Steve46
thanks alot ice condition!! your the breast!

The best bosom in all of UG.
Quote by Grimriffer
Well I personally think that the 6505 is the most overrated metal amp head out there. It's sounds good and tight and stuff but I could really never understand what all the hypes about. In addition I dont really want to sound almost the same as a gazillion metalcore bands. I need something less whiny more brutal and harsh. Like a tone with umlauts if you get what I mean.

Big +1

I couldn't agree with you more man!

As far as hybrids there are several amps out there that claim to be hybrids but only have a single tube in them. The only real hybrids that I've ever found are Randall V2s - three 12ax7s in the preamp section and a single 12at7/Mosfet power section.

As far as finding an amp on the new market that will do the job for you try looking into Randall - they are always the first company that comes to mind when I think of SS amps and metal.
Randall ss and hybrid amps are pretty good, I have one and quite like it.

Not too many good ss amps in production right now try looking for used:
Ampeg VH140c
Crate GX130c <- same as the VH140c save a couple of resistors in the power amp
Randall RG series, T2 or V2
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Those Randall V2s sound pretty intense) I'm starting to consider one.
Are there non-combo versions of the vh-140 or gx-130 because really I wanted to play through my own cabs.

Everytime I check eBay for Peavey XXL I get ladies stockings!
Last edited by Grimriffer at Jun 3, 2010,
Quote by Grimriffer
Those Randall V2s sound pretty intense) I'm starting to consider one.
Are there non-combo versions of the vh-140 or gx-130 because really I wanted to play through my own cabs.

Everytime I check eBay for Peavey XXL I get ladies stockings!

The ampeg comes in a head format...not sure about the crate.
I can only find the vh-140 in combo format. Now that I'm really hyped up I really want to buy this amp but the thing is I'm not sure if the combo is worth it. Everybody seems to be using the head...
A good hybrid amplifier is a solid choice for flesh-rending metal tones. Randall's V2 series and Marshall's Mode Four were designed for that sort of thing and they do it very well. The Ampeg has achieved something of a cult status and might be hard to find. Hybrid amplifiers sound noticeably better when played loud.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by Grimriffer
I can only find the vh-140 in combo format. Now that I'm really hyped up I really want to buy this amp but the thing is I'm not sure if the combo is worth it. Everybody seems to be using the head...

You could always buy the combo and spend an extra $20 to mod it into a head.
I forget if the has speaker outs but if it does you can still use it as a head.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Quote by justinb904
You could always buy the combo and spend an extra $20 to mod it into a head.
I forget if the has speaker outs but if it does you can still use it as a head.

Never heard about that operation before.

Well I found a Crate gx-130c head. I'm considering buying that. Or should I still get the Ampeg combo?

Any other recommendations? I heard that Randall Cyclones sound pretty cool.
Quoting from a thread posted two days ago I posted in...:

Quote by MatrixClaw
Ampeg SS-150
Ampeg SS-70
Ampeg VH-140C
Randall RG-100ES
Crate GX-130C
Peavey XXL
Sunn Concert Lead
Marshall 8080
Line 6 Flextone
Peavey Supreme 160
Tech 21 Trademark 60

All really nice sounding SS amps that give tube amps that are 3-4 times as much a run for their money.

As far as your question about the GX-130C. They're pretty awesome heads. Basically identical to the VH-140C, just a few small changes. A/B'd next to eachother, I'd have a hard time believing you'd hear much of a difference, plus they're SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper than the Ampegs
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
It's real hard to find decent SS/hybrid amps nowadays. People think that tubes sound better. That is not true. Randall v2s were the best live sounding heads I've ever heard in my life.
I think I can easily EQ that gx-130c to sound like the ampeg if they sound similair. I'm gonna play them thru Vader 2x12 cabs hahahahaha. Can't wait)