hi, ive had my marshall mg15cd amp for about 4 years or something now and its cut out playing through the speaker.

I noticed it after id been playing with headphones on one night then the next morning tried to play, after fiddling with all the knobs and taking the headphone jack in and out it worked again but after a month passed I played with headphones again and now it wont work through the speaker.

some potentially helpful photos of the inside:

The sound quality is exactly the same through the headphones so I dont know if its an easy fix or what, any help would be greatly appreciated as Im low on money for a new one!

thank you,

Ant
Sounds like the headphone jack is bad. The jack most likely has a disconnect, so that the preamp signal is muted to the power amp. If taking the headphone plug in and out causes the amp to sometimes work then I would suspect the jack.
Quote by fly135
Sounds like the headphone jack is bad. The jack most likely has a disconnect, so that the preamp signal is muted to the power amp. If taking the headphone plug in and out causes the amp to sometimes work then I would suspect the jack.

Didn't think of that initially, but now that you say it that matches the symptoms exactly.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Is there a simple way of fixing this? Prodding the jack for example, thats the extent of my technical ability
Quote by banter
Is there a simple way of fixing this? Prodding the jack for example, thats the extent of my technical ability

If the cut off to speakers during jack use is a mechanical process, then i guess only option is to replace it.

If it's not mechanical, if cut off is electronic based, maybe some components on the board need replacing.
Get a can of DeOxit, spray into the jack, then plug the headphone plug in and out. If that doesn't work then it will be a little harder. A direct replacement would require soldering. Try spraying into the metal tabs on the top of the jack (in the pic). Lastly (maybe even firstly) try some wet/dry sandpaper (#600 is a good one) and sand underneath the metal tabs. Then give it a spray with DeOxit or other contact cleaner to clean out any particles.
inb4: omg u have a mg there leik the worst amp there is bro hehehe
Call me Andrew. It's my name.

Quote by theogonia777
i fond God too, man! i sat next to him on the bus once. he told be the meaning of life and then gave me a pretzel. i can't remember what the meaning of live was, but it was a good pretzel, man!
Quote by GoIrish668
inb4: omg u have a mg there leik the worst amp there is bro hehehe

Only 'cause you can do so much better for the money in most cases.

Nice Flextone btw. Loved mine.

I'll second the DeOxit solution. That should work.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
thanks everyone! working again, pushed those conductor things surrounding the headphone jack more onto the other metal bits (expert explanation im sure) and its working again.
I had the same problem with the same amp!
For reference it's the contacts closest to the outside of the case that need to have a good contact so as to not mute the speaker.