Hi,
I'm looking for a decent yet cheap mic. I know this isn't that easy to find...
In my search I've come across the Blue Snowball, and I'm pretty sure this is the one I want, problem is, there's still one thing I'm unsure about, and that is how it will react to high volumes. I'd like to use it for home recordings and maybe Skype and such, but I'd also like to use it to record band rehearsals.
We record with 4 people in a pretty small, unmodified (not acoustically improved...) room. This is a drummer, a bass player, a singer and guitarist (me). Now I'd like to know if anyone here has got any experience with the Snowball, and if they could tell me if the mic is able to deal with these volumes...
Also, if it matters anything, the recording program I'd be using is either Audacity or Reaper.

Thanks!
Gear:
Fender Jazzmaster
Boss DS-2
Digitech RP150 (with Line6 EX-1 Exp pedal)
Orange Crush 30R

My Youtube Page
Read this!You know you really want to...

Last edited by poipoi at Jun 3, 2010,
Is there nobody that can help me? (It's been 2 days...) I'd really like to know, since I am about to go and buy it very soon now...
Gear:
Fender Jazzmaster
Boss DS-2
Orange Crush 30R

My Youtube Page

USB mics are generally not good for recording, for the simple reason that they have to act as a microphone and a USB interface, quality will suffer. There are much better options and here is one of them.

Great starter recording package! far better than a USB mic such as the snowball if your looking for any kind of quality audio. That mic is really just ment for Podcast and things of that nature where sound quality is not very important.
http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/M-Audio-Fast-Track-MKII-Studio-Package?sku=485736
My Music
-Leave a rating, comment with link will C4C-
I've heard the BS mic in person and really am not impressed with it's sound quality even compared to something like the Audio Technica AT2020 USB which runs around $150.

The above package is what I would suggest as well. You may want to buy a good dynamic mic while you're shopping just in case that condenser breaks up under the high volume levels.

Oh and about the Podcasting, audio quality is becoming more and more important on that subject now. Video is the main thing people tend to be going for in that field now though.
Last edited by moody07747 at Jun 5, 2010,
Thanks for the suggestions so far, but even though I'd really like to buy a set-up like that, I just don't have the money... My budget is very limited (I'd like to keep it around €100, which I know is pretty impossible to get a great mic).
Because of that limited budget, I'd just like something that's pretty easy to use, and records fairly well, not good, but somewhat decent (at least better than the crap mic I have now, which is practically a toy).
Also, I'm probably not going to be recording that much, just when an idea pops into my head, and I really want to record it. Or as said earlier, to (maybe) record the band I'm in...
If you guys have got any other suggestions, I'd look into them...
EDIT: I've looked up some prices for the M-Audio Fast Track in my area, and it's €109. I'd still have to get a mic and accessories, so I'd be way up above €200 which is just no option... Still, thanks for the suggestion
EDIT2: I've looked even deeper into it, and I've found the Blue Yeti. Maybe this is something that, without stretching my budget too much, would be more suited for recording music?
Gear:
Fender Jazzmaster
Boss DS-2
Orange Crush 30R

My Youtube Page

Last edited by poipoi at Jun 8, 2010,
Quote by poipoi
EDIT: I've looked up some prices for the M-Audio Fast Track in my area, and it's €109. I'd still have to get a mic and accessories, so I'd be way up above €200 which is just no option... Still, thanks for the suggestion

No if you get that you do not need a mic. You can use an amp emulator! such as Eleven Free and Sansamp which is in protools which comes with the fast track. No mic needed you plug your guitar straight into your interface.

Then if you wanted to record you band or something, you can get a decent mic later when you save more up. Just a thought hope it helps
My Music
The yeti is far better suited to recording music. The problem with USB mics and high volumes is that there is no outboard preamp from which you can control the gain and limit what goes into your DAW. I used my girlfriend's Blue Snowflake (tiny version of the snwoball) to do some room recordings of the two of us jamming so I could look back at it later (that's right, I jam with my girlfriend) and it came up as peaking in Ableton, but when I listened back there were no peaks. It was very strange, but it picked us up very clearly and the volume wasn't too high, just two acoustics and her voice (which is loud and piercing because she's a theater actress but she was farthest from the mic).
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
@Swayver: I don't really like amp emulators and stuff like that. I have an RP150 which has that option, and I never use it. I know that on a computer it could work better, but I'd like to use the tone from my amp, even if it isn't the best tone ever...
@Sid McCall: I think the Yeti does have a preamp to control the volume, so this might actually be what I want... I'll look into it some more, and maybe test it at the music store

Thanks guys!
Gear:
Fender Jazzmaster
Boss DS-2
Orange Crush 30R

My Youtube Page

Quote by Sid McCall
(that's right, I jam with my girlfriend)

Im jeaslous dude, thats pretty damn cool.

And as far as the yeti ive never used it or read any reviews on it. Could be your way to go. Hope ya find what ya need man. Anymore questions just ask.
My Music
I own a Blue Yeti and it's excellent for this kind of stuff. Got mine at around $114 USD from Amazon. You can throw on the omnidirectional pattern (there's three capsules) and put it in the middle of the room. It's obviously not going to sound as good as tracking every instrument individually, but it will sound decent. If you plan on doing a demo I would play to a click track or something and record everything in isolation (best solution for how much you are willing to pay).