I suppose It's something normal but I wanted to know the opinion of somebody else.

After playing four or five minutes power chords (a Green Day song) my hand is a bit sore, my index finger and my thumb mainly. I think it's because I'm not used to play with speed and I lack endurance but as I said I'd like another opinion.
Sorry for my english
It's probably where you're generating the power to fret with. You should be using the muscles that control your fingers to generate the power to fret a note, a mistake a lot of beginners make is using their thumb to press against the back of the neck rather than using their fingers which more often than not leads to the kind of cramp and soreness you're describing.

I haven't yet figured out a definitive strategy to work out this problem myself but ideally you should still be able to generate enough strength in your fingers to fret a note without having your thumb on the back of the neck.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Try changing the position of your fretting hand. There are more then one way to hold that hand. Also, try using forms that allow you to get to the next chord as EFFECTIVELY as possible.

Also, don't play Green Day songs (j/k)

The more you practice, your hand will adjust, but as you change pressure and speed, you'll make new area's sore. It's all part of the fun.
does your hand sore only when playing power chords?
how about when playing lead guitar?
what is your guitar neck profile?
you using a "v" neck?
Yeah dude, it's just from gaining the strength to play the chord in the first place; once you've played for a while it gets better
Quote by :Vicious--
banned cuz you have succesfully wasted my time. you must pay

Quote by Metal Axe
Banned because you may waste my time

Quote by PsiGuy60
Banned because yes, you may waste my time.

May I waste your time too
I sing and play Green Day songs for 2-3 hour every days or you can say when i tune up my guitar after a 2-3 days interval.. never had any problem

you probably need to wait for your hands to get use to it . thats all i can say
Quote by eddytanhh
does your hand sore only when playing power chords?
how about when playing lead guitar?
what is your guitar neck profile?
you using a "v" neck?

Yes, only when I play power chords or barre chords. My guitar is an Ibanez RG321.

Quote by HalfDose
Try changing the position of your fretting hand. There are more then one way to hold that hand. Also, try using forms that allow you to get to the next chord as EFFECTIVELY as possible.

Also, don't play Green Day songs (j/k)

The more you practice, your hand will adjust, but as you change pressure and speed, you'll make new area's sore. It's all part of the fun.

What are other ways to hold the fretting hand?

I think I just keep practicing to gain strength.

Thanks for the answers!
Sorry for my english
It may feel awkward at first, but try loosening your grip on the neck; allow your thumb to move and have some space without completely detaching from the neck, just relax your hand.
Quote by Jackal58
I eat dead meat all the time. You don't have to chase it around your plate and it doesn't try to peck your eyes out.

It Happens.

My Gear:

-Custom Fender MIM Black Strat
-Mesa/Boogie Rect-O-Verb
-Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
yeah +1 to evilangel, try loosening your grip and use your finger muscles to push down, not your wrist or thumb.

i have experienced something like that in the past. when i first learned barre chords. its the small muscles in your hand building strength. try dropping your wrist on ur fret hand so that your fingers are more pointing toward the fret board rather than wrapping up from the bottom... if that makes sense, lol
OK, I'll try relaxing my fretting hand.

Thanks for the advice
Sorry for my english
Quote by Sundin

What are other ways to hold the fretting hand?

I think I just keep practicing to gain strength.

Thanks for the answers!

Well, I play with my hand bunched up and spead out at different amounts, in preperation for the next chord. I also have a habbit of using my pinky on a simple power chord. This is completely incorrect by standard teachings, but work to my advantage.

I play techy knida thrash punk (I'll have vids and lessons up soon). My styles of playing is very much geared toward holding several strings in odd positions and transitioning frequently. to do this, I have to find alternative ways of getting to those frets. You just have to feel it out.

Quote by EvilAngel93
It may feel awkward at first, but try loosening your grip on the neck; allow your thumb to move and have some space without completely detaching from the neck, just relax your hand.

This is GREAT! advice. Don't try to strangle your guitar. It's not trying to get away from you. try to touch it and place your hands on it. This will allow for more relaxed playing and movement; the key to curing your hand pain.
Quote by morethanever
Work out...for me it helps...

No, it doesn't, the issue here isn't muscle strength or indeed stamina, it is a technique issue pure and simple.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
there is something wrong if our thumb sore after playing
it is probably the guitar neck does not suit the way we play
you try playing power chords on a "c" neck guitar
if your hand does not feel any discomfort
then you know the reason
I've been playing today and I've tried to relax my thumb and my fretting hand in general and I've feel a bit sore but a lot better than yesterday.

Quote by eddytanhh
there is something wrong if our thumb sore after playing
it is probably the guitar neck does not suit the way we play
you try playing power chords on a "c" neck guitar
if your hand does not feel any discomfort
then you know the reason

Well, I don't know what neck my Ibanez has but I've played with my classical guitar and it's the same. But again, I think my problem was that I played with my fretting hand pressing too hard.

Thanks for the answers!
Sorry for my english
classical guitar & your Ibanez electric is same neck profile
we cannot play with thumb on a classical guitar neck, it hurts
i surfed on the web, your Ibanez has a very thin neck
which is probably "V" neck category
try a acoustic