I want to learn the song "Radioactive Toy" by Porcupine Tree, but the only tabs I've found for it online only have 1-2 of the riffs in them. This gave me an idea; why not tab it out myself? Except... I've never transcribed a piece of music at all before, so I have no clue how to start. Advice, please?
Start small and break it down into little sections, a few seconds at a time if necessary so you can focus on each bit. If you can match it with your voice that will help too, because then you can just sing the note until you find it on your guitar. If you're figuring out chords, find the root note and then find what it could be from there. This song sounds like it just uses power chords. For the solo sections take small bits so you can really remember what they sound like, and once you think you've got it play it along with the song to be sure.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
Who's going to stop you? The music police?
Quote by FacetOfChaos
Start small and break it down into little sections, a few seconds at a time if necessary so you can focus on each bit. If you can match it with your voice that will help too, because then you can just sing the note until you find it on your guitar. If you're figuring out chords, find the root note and then find what it could be from there. This song sounds like it just uses power chords. For the solo sections take small bits so you can really remember what they sound like, and once you think you've got it play it along with the song to be sure.

So, like I'd learn a song?

Thanks a lot, that sounds like a good way of going about it!
have a look at some software "Riffmaster Pro" if you like it and think it will help (You can slow any piece of music to almost stop without changing the pitch) if you pm me with your email I would be happy to send you a copy of the software which is portable its 5.68mb. N.B. Some mail programs will not download executable programs so you might want to check out your system first.

Incidently you can also change pitch (or key) with the software as well. Check it out on "Google" make sure you are looking t R pro as there is another called just Riffmaster a game.

Regards Fenderflyer.
Last edited by fenderflyer at Jun 4, 2010,