Hey guys,

Well, I just offered a trade for my EC-1000 with the EMG 81/81 (2002) setup. Well, anyway, it was for a Gibby Studio. Basically, which would be better for a blues rock-type style? I'd figure the Gibby, but I'd be replacing the pickups on either guitar anyway, so-?

Any suggestions would be appreciated
"Play them blues, boy!"

Gear:
Peavey 6505+ head
Mesa 2x12
ESP Ltd EC 1000
Jackson King V
Jackson DKMG
Peavey Classic 30
Ibanez TS9
BOSS EQ 7
if you're replacing the pickups anyway, then it'll just be an opinion based thread on feel alone. yes, the gibson will PROBABLY be a little warmer if you put the exact same pickups in both guitars for example, but just get ones that'll go well with the guitar.

basically, pick the guitar that feels best for you!
Well a more traditional guitar would be the Paul, but who needs to be traditional. If your going to swap out the pickups on either, It basically comes down to which you prefer to play with. They will sound a little different, but not that much. Id go with the gibby, but Im a gibson fan boy so..
IF you want to step up over the Studio, I'd go as far as the Traditional. and it's definitely worth the extra bucks! I actually don't care for the new Standards these days, they're chambered, two-piece bodies, and come with a covered Neutrix (sp?) jack instead of the conventional 1/4" jack. The Standards do have nice tuners and the Burstbucker PUs but for a couple of undred less the traditional gives you weight-relieved, one-piece body, 57 Classic & Classic Plus PUs, AA Top & Tone PRos Kluson Styled Green key tuners which look period correct for older Pauls.
Moving on.....
Thanks guys

Well, I really have no idea haha. I'm sort of looking at a Joe Perry, Lenny K., or my own 'head' tone. I realize that they're all very different; just going for either one. I sort of prefer the EC for it's playability and look, but it's a Gibbyy
Should I just sell it and go for a Standard? Or will the difference not be $1k worth noticing?
"Play them blues, boy!"

Gear:
Peavey 6505+ head
Mesa 2x12
ESP Ltd EC 1000
Jackson King V
Jackson DKMG
Peavey Classic 30
Ibanez TS9
BOSS EQ 7
My opinion is probably biased here, I just bought a Traditional. For me the it was worth the extra money to go for it over a Studio. You can get good Studios you just have to look thru a bunch for that special one (much like any Gibson, they're all a little unique).
The Studio is a bare bones LP introduced in '83 and it is less in some ways. I already own to "not quite there" Les Pauls which are my Elitists so it didn't make sense to me to compromise again and not go for the "real deal". Between the Traditional & new Standard, the traditional is the most faithful to the original LPs of the late 50's. The biggest factors for me choosing it over the Standard was weight and neck profile. The Trad has the 59 neck and weight relieved one-piece body, while the Standard has the a two-piece chambered body (significantly lighter) and a strange asymetrical neck profile (60's one side 59 other)
Of course there's the Trad Pro which offers a 60's neck & Chambered body too.

You can read my review on the Trad as it's now posted.
Moving on.....
here's the way i see it. you're swapping out the pickups on whichever guitar you buy. so clearly the stock sound of either doesn't really work for you. therefore you're going to be putting in your own thing anyway. so sound differences really dont matter here.

that means its down to looks and feel. you already have a guitar that looks pretty close to a les paul. you love the way it feels and plays. you straight up said you prefer it, so really, why switch a guitar you like for something you dont like as much. to me it doesnt make any sense at all, no matter if its a gibson you're trading for. i actually chose the EC 1000 over the les paul standard and traditional because of its feel and playability, so...