Hi all. I play metal. I'm getting my first electric soon(metal on acoustic lol) and I would like to see what the best SS amp for $250 or less is. I dont a tube amp. I dont wanna deal with the high maintenance. It doesn't matter if it has a good Distortion channel because i bid on a Digi Distortion Factory.

I've been looking at:
The Marshall MG4(you guys hate it, but i kinda like it)
The Orange Crush PiX series
The Peavey Bandit
Any suggestions?
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
Tube amps aren't high maintenance but whatever. If it's just for practice then get like a pod or guitar rig. I've solely been using Guitar Rig for the last 2 years and it's been great; cheap, sounds good, comes with recording stuff.
Only really need an amp if you're jamming with friends (Which I am now so it helps to have my b-52) or gigging, for just practice amp emulators are great.
Quote by NosralTserrof
1. I dont [want] a tube amp. I dont wanna deal with the high maintenance.

2. It doesn't matter if it has a good Distortion channel because i bid on a Digi Distortion Factory.

3. The Marshall MG4(you guys hate it, but i kinda like it)

I would highly recommend you do more research and try more amps out before you make your decision, because of the three points above... Let's just say you're headed in the wrong direction.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Guys, i dont really care that much about a perfect tone. I just wanna play with friends and stuff. If we actually start playing, ill upgrade to a better amp, like a Jet City JCA20 Combo
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
Quote by NosralTserrof
Guys, i dont really care that much about a perfect tone. I just wanna play with friends and stuff. If we actually start playing, ill upgrade to a better amp, like a Jet City JCA20 Combo

Then why are you asking for our opinion? We can tell you the best amp to get for your price range tonewise and stuff but if you're not into what we suggest then get the MG.

Edit: Disregard^ tubetime's calm and reasonable response nailed it.
Last edited by stephen_rettie at Jun 3, 2010,
Best amp for metal in your price range is a Peavey Vypyr. Might be a modeller but it sounds better than any of the amps you listed.
Quote by NosralTserrof

I understand and that seems like the right thing to do, but the problem is that you'll spend $250 on an amp that you'll struggle to sell for even $100 a year from now, when you could have gotten something that will last you forever for only $100 or $200 more... You're almost to the finish, why knock yourself back to the starting line?

Edit: I see 'Valveking fanboi' in your sig... Look at the link below. You can get a Valveking for $250 if you look.

http://instrument.jaxed.com/cgi-bin/music.cgi?cat=msg&itm=peavey&fil=valveking&state=&ps=&pe=&submit=+GO+
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Last edited by tubetime86 at Jun 3, 2010,
Quote by tubetime86
I understand and that seems like the right thing to do, but the problem is that you'll spend $250 on an amp that you'll struggle to sell for even $100 a year from now, when you could have gotten something that will last you forever for only $100 or $200 more... You're almost to the finish, why knock yourself back to the starting line?

Dude, alright. Thanks a bunch.
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
Quote by NosralTserrof
Dude, alright. Thanks a bunch.

Wow, first time someone's taken that advice without putting up a fight. Don't mean to burst your bubble, but in my mind if you're spending more than $150 you need to be spending at least $300. The stuff in between there just isn't worth it, in my opinion of course.

If you just want something loud to jam with friends for now search craigslist and just grab an old Peavey SS for next to nothing to tide you over, then once you save up and buy what you really want you'll have an extra amp for vocals or whatever. If it were me though I'd just save until I could get exactly what I wanted.

Look into Classic 30s too. They're great, versatile amps and they're constantly on craigslist for around $300. Good luck!
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Alright. I've been looking at the Blackstar HT-5. I found one on ZZounds for $400. I could find one on eBay for less.
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
older Peavey SS's are not horrible, they wont have much in the way of effects or anything, but they are good for jamming!
RIP lowlife (fort wayne) the best crappy crusty punk band ever!
I made the mistake of buying a cheap crate amp first, but I saw the light and just dropped the money for a jet city combo....now im trying to unload the crap....errr crate amp lol
Quote by NosralTserrof
Alright. I've been looking at the Blackstar HT-5. I found one on ZZounds for $400. I could find one on eBay for less.

If at all possible you really ought to go used. Amps are just like cars; they lose almost 50% of their value when they walk out the store's door. So that Blackstar may be $400 new but its probably around $200 used. I'm not a metal guy but I think those are highly regarded amps though. You're on the right track now!
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Ampeg SS-150
Ampeg SS-70
Ampeg VH-140C
Randall RG-100ES
Crate GX-130C
Peavey XXL
Sunn Concert Lead
Marshall 8080
Line 6 Flextone
Peavey Supreme 160
Tech 21 Trademark 60

All really nice sounding SS amps that give tube amps that are 3-4 times as much a run for their money.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Can't go wrong with a used Bandit in your price range. If you plan on using a distortion pedal exclusively and other pedal FX then a Epi Valve Jr head will do as well as the HT-5. But you said you were going to play w/ others and the Bandit is a far more capable amp for gigging.

I've got both an HT-5 head and a Vjr head. I've come to the conclusion I would rather use the Vjr than the HT-5. It's nothing against the HT-5, but I get all my tone from the board and the Vjr does every bit as good a job as the HT-5 clean channel for 1/2 the price.
Quote by stephen_rettie
Edit: Disregard^ tubetime's calm and reasonable response nailed it.
Tuetime86 is like some sort of monk.

Yes, you should sig that, I personally feel I deserve two spots in yer sig.

Choice A: Don't care about tonez, Get whatever is at your local pawnshop.

Choice B: Care about the TONEZ, and seek out a quality solid state. The Ampeg VH/SS series is good, along with the Peavey Bandits and the Crate GX. I would recommend a Randall RG also, but I have no prior experience with their amps.

You may also want to look into digital modelling. It wont take the POS pedal you bid on very well, but that works best as a paperweight anyways. Peavey Vypyr and Roland Cube come to mind.

You can even look into saving your monies a little longer (damn pothead) and getting a higher-quality amplifier. Blackstar ht-5 comes to mind.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Look for a used Randall RG. I have an RG75 and it sounds awesome for an ss amp, gigable size and only cost me $250 like new on ebay.

If you like the Blackstar HT-5 you were talking about the see if you can find that used. Those are pretty good sounding amps and make for good practice amps.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Last edited by justinb904 at Jun 3, 2010,
Why is everyone hating on the Digi Distortion Factory? It gets the job done, and its $10.
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
Quote by NosralTserrof
Why is everyone hating on the Digi Distortion Factory? It gets the job done, and its $10.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr

lol.
Is my tonal unsuperiority funny? Or is it the fact that its $10?
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
Quote by NosralTserrof

Colt 45 works everytime, but wouldn't you rather drink a beer that doesn't taste like vinegar mixed with dog piss?
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by STABxYOU
Colt 45 works everytime, but wouldn't you rather drink a beer that doesn't taste like vinegar mixed with dog piss?
Duuuude hes like 14, we need a family-friendly analogy.

Having that pedal is like ****ing a fat chick. It's fun until your friends catch you doing it, then its akin to riding a moped.

Wait, not that one either...
ill sell you my crate GX-40D for cheap
Sounds like another one of these cheap gear snobs.

Yes its 10 bucks, but its 10 too much. Do what everybody else has said - peavey vypyr/transtube/bandit or even that blackstar. Tubes aren't high maintenence. If you floor it all day every day, then yes, the tubes need replacing every 6 months or so, but if you're only bedroom jamming, they should last upwards of 2 years.

The fact is, you could get good tone for not much more, so why sound like crap? You can dial in a crap tone if you like, but start off with a good amp.
My Bandit 112 is for sale even, its the original make (early 90s) and is pretty killer. Infact, owning my amplifier gives you +1 charisma and +2 dexterity. $160+shipping, leaving you with enough money for drugs!
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
My Bandit 112 is for sale even, its the original make (early 90s)

Mine's from 84. It's not that original.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2