hi all i just cant find at my local store any strings set higher than .01 .046 so can i use a 7 strings set .09 .054 and use only the last 6 strings excluding the .09 one fir law tunning ???
can i use a 7 strings set for a 6 strings guitar ????? i need thicker strings for down tunning and i cant find any at my local store
so can i use the 7 strings set and use the thickest 6 of them ??
You CAAAN, but you're wasting your money, when you can order "not even slinkies" online, 3 packs for like $10.

Edit: Which, I think, are .11 - .52, I think.
Quote by santa_man99
THANK you. I love you forever.

Quote by DrFuzz
Why are you researching for Christmas? It's only Ma- HOLY CRAP WHERE'S 2009 GONE!?!?!?

Quote by ilikepirates
You're right, that is weird. You win.
Yes you can do it. If you have a floating trem you will have to do some adjustments on it to make it sit right, you'll also have to adjust your bridge height, and make sure you redo your intonation after changing the strings.

fret buzz and intonation will be killer after a jump in gauges.
fine.. so the strings guages now will be like .011 .016 .024 .032 .042 and .054 .. right ?? coz i already opened the pack
Last edited by XxXMafiaMXxX at Jun 3, 2010,
Buy coloured DR's. I use the black .012 - .056. There meant for acoustic but there so heavy!!!
I Like Deathcore, Deal With It!
its possible but u mite need to adjust some stuff like the nut, and the intonation
(Main)Gear-v
Jackson Dinky DKMGT
PRS SE Paul Allender
Peavey 6505+ 112
I play in drop A and I use strings from a 7-string set. But, guitar must be re-adjusted.
Proudly endorsed by Kamecki Guitars and WBgear!

My guitars:
-B.C Rich NJ Jr.V Deluxe (6 string guitar)
-Kamecki Custom V guitar
I do it, works smashingly- a 7-String Super Slinky set gives you an .011-guage skinny-top-heavy-bottom set with a wound G. Perfect.
Squier Strat (Jazz/JB) - Dunlop Zakk Wylde Crybaby - Boss MIJ HM-2 Distortion - Peavey Valveking 212 - Fender CD60
I would imagine you can but most manufacturers make strings specifically for drop tuning, for example- Ernie balls not even slinky or D'addario Extra heavy